Bit Of A Yarn

Loyalist the 4 win wonderhorse

Gammalite

11 minutes ago, the galah said:

Why did adam hamilton think it necssary to put the provocation comment in his story. Not sure if hes suggesting being called a drug cheat is provocation to punch someone while that name caller is being held by a security guard. I read somewhere that is what supposedly happened but the actual detail of the assault seems to have been given very little coverage,which seems rather strange. Isn't grimsons dominance a bad thing for harness racing in australia. Cleary most think hes cheating and that is what punters will think as well.

I would say there would of been video evidence (people recording on phones) of the fight and it must of been clearcut he was still getting stuck into the guy as security was trying to drag him away. The instigator should be given 'Time' as well. Bit unfair on Grimson (or any high profile sportsperson in any sport) to be 'picked' in a public spot. I guess with the Appeal pending , there's not really any other coverage to add.

Jason Grimson has had absolute 'Extroadinary results ' past 2 or 3 years as discusseed many times here and All around the harness world in general. Just 'too many Freak improvements made on battling horses'?? , that make no sense to the ordinary harness racing participant, and makes the prior and/or rival trainers look like mugs.  you have seen it . It's shocked me as a neutral observor,  the wins of Betterzippit esp, Boncel Benjamin , Loyalist , I cast no shadow, and about 20 more as well and you saw Majestic Cruiser running fast in Nz at the the Nz Cup last year running 2nd and not far off winning it ?? think he did win the messenger beating Self Assured actually. 

Horses showing real 'fight' just like the Trainer 😂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, the galah said:

I see the write up by adam hamilton on the hrnz website says grimson assaulted someone after provocation.

Why did adam hamilton think it necssary to put the provocation comment in his story. Not sure if hes suggesting being called a drug cheat is provocation to punch someone while that name caller is being held by a security guard. I read somewhere that is what supposedly happened but the actual detail of the assault seems to have been given very little coverage,which seems rather strange. Isn't grimsons dominance a bad thing for harness racing in australia. Cleary most think hes cheating and that is what punters will think as well.

How would you react if I called you a peodophile in public?

The reaction by Grimson to what was blatant provocation is in my opinion understandable.  I don't approve of what he did but hell the pressure of being accused of something without any proof at times must be intolerable.

People may think he is cheating but without any proof perhaps they should keep their opinions to themselves?  Doesn't the industry have a well fund agency to determine who is cheating and who isn't?

15 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

How would you react if I called you a peodophile in public?

The reaction by Grimson to what was blatant provocation is in my opinion understandable.  I don't approve of what he did but hell the pressure of being accused of something without any proof at times must be intolerable.

People may think he is cheating but without any proof perhaps they should keep their opinions to themselves?  Doesn't the industry have a well fund agency to determine who is cheating and who isn't?

Obviously you are different to me,but i have learnt not to care what others may think.I haven't been called a drug cheat or a peodophile,but have  been called lots of things over the years that weren't true,especially by people who don't know me.Why should anyone really worry about what strangers who don't know you think. If you are going to feel some loathing for someone,keep it for someone who knows you and calls you something that they know is not true just to advance an agenda they may have.  Thats my motto.

when it comes to harness racing,its a big help to have a thick skin.

Grimson reacted in a way that was only ever going to penalise himself,so irrespective of what was said to him,his actions were very stupid and he only has himself to blame. people shouldn't make any excuses for him.

Edited by the galah

3 minutes ago, the galah said:

Obviously you are different to me,but i have learnt not to care what others may think.

You obviously haven't experienced being incessantly harassed, bullied and had false accusations made about you.  It takes its toll eventually and something breaks.

6 minutes ago, the galah said:

Why should anyone really worry about what strangers who don't know you think. If you are going to feel some loathing for someone,keep it for someone who knows you and calls you something that they know is not true just to advance an agenda they may have.

Aside from the keyboard warriors Grimson was being harassed by what I understand to be an industry official.  You've inferred he is a cheat but cannot present any proof that he is.

7 minutes ago, the galah said:

Grimson reacted in a way that was only ever going to penalise himself,so irrespective of what was said to him,his actions were very stupid and he only has himself to blame. people shouldn't make any excuses for him.

There is a limit to how much anyone can tolerate before breaking.  We've seen those outcomes in NZ from Operation INCA.  Grimson could equally be a horse training/buying genius.  Until there is proof that he isn't then I'd like to think he was.

52 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Jason Grimson has had absolute 'Extroadinary results ' past 2 or 3 years as discusseed many times here and All around the harness world in general. Just 'too many Freak improvements made on battling horses'?? , that make no sense to the ordinary harness racing participant, and makes the prior and/or rival trainers look like mugs.  you have seen it . It's shocked me as a neutral observor,  the wins of Betterzippit esp, Boncel Benjamin , Loyalist , I cast no shadow, and about 20 more as well and you saw Majestic Cruiser running fast in Nz at the the Nz Cup last year running 2nd and not far off winning it ?? think he did win the messenger beating Self Assured actually. 

But @Gammalite you would have to admit that of any trainer in recent times Grimson has had extreme scrutiny because of his results.  As I've said before either the Integrity Agency in Austrailia is inept or Grimson is a horse buying/training genius.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You obviously haven't experienced being incessantly harassed, bullied and had false accusations made about you.  It takes its toll eventually and something breaks.

Like i said your not me so don't know what i've experienced.You wouldn't be saying that to me if you actually knew some of my life experiences. In fact i'm sure i have a greater understanding of what you refer to than most people.

40 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Aside from the keyboard warriors Grimson was being harassed by what I understand to be an industry official.  You've inferred he is a cheat but cannot present any proof that he is.

I always think theres an irony when you refer to keyboard warriors ,because you enable the so called keyboard warriors by providing this platform.   People only refer to people as keyboard warriors when they say something that they don't like.Thats how it works. 

46 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

There is a limit to how much anyone can tolerate before breaking.  We've seen those outcomes in NZ from Operation INCA.  Grimson could equally be a horse training/buying genius.  Until there is proof that he isn't then I'd like to think he was.

Of course there are limits before people react. And everyone is different so react in their own way. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the galah said:

I always think theres an irony when you refer to keyboard warriors ,because you enable the so called keyboard warriors by providing this platform.   People only refer to people as keyboard warriors when they say something that they don't like.Thats how it works. 

I accept the irony which is why I often go to great lengths to provide balance and or request proof of allegations made.  Do you think it is acceptable to infer that someone is a drug cheat in the absence of any evidence?  Or is it alright because you are tougher than most and false allegations don't worry you?

12 minutes ago, the galah said:

Of course there are limits before people react. And everyone is different so react in their own way.

In Grimson's case if one of those who provoked the reaction is a license holder or holds office in the harness industry should they not too be held to account for their actions that have bought racing integrity into disrepute?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

But @Gammalite you would have to admit that of any trainer in recent times Grimson has had extreme scrutiny because of his results.  As I've said before either the Integrity Agency in Austrailia is inept or Grimson is a horse buying/training genius.

You are right in respect that a Trainer with runners winning being swabbed and Blood tested nearly every time , and Nothing Found , should be not accused of cheating without evidence.

In fairness to Grimson , another Trainer named 'Jack Trainor' also got 3 months DQ from the fight and has also had Incredible Results over the past 2 or 3 years (and he's just starting out as a Trainer in his 20's ) ... He's not a rival of Grimson's on the track at all , more of an ally , and is RIGHT ON IN on whatever it is that Grimson is doing . (To get these unbelievable improvements) 

I didn't say drug cheat. Every stable gives horses something . It's just the something 'seems to be working to exceptional extremes' with these 2 Trainers . ( Grimson and Trainor ) All stables have secrets and staff usually keep them with them. I never told any one anything at a new stable about anything happening at previous stable.  Out of respect for their peers and fellow combatants. Therefore No-one says what they do to get results. I'm sure EVERYONE would like to know the methods of Grimson and Trainor. (Betterzippit (a plodder in Nz) won $500,000 in one race this year at Perth)  So it's a PROFITABLE Method. Would be awful for 2nd horse connections if foul play is being used in the 'Method' . 

Must of Been Extremely Awkward for Hayden Cullen , racing horses at Group Level constantly with Marky P , then go to Telfer's and try and do the same thing without any overlap of method ?? . No wonder that partnership didn't last.....lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I accept the irony which is why I often go to great lengths to provide balance and or request proof of allegations made.  Do you think it is acceptable to infer that someone is a drug cheat in the absence of any evidence?  Or is it alright because you are tougher than most and false allegations don't worry you?

In Grimson's case if one of those who provoked the reaction is a license holder or holds office in the harness industry should they not too be held to account for their actions that have bought racing integrity into disrepute?

Opinions as to whether someone believes a trainer is gaining an unfair advantage over another competitor, are based on ones own knowledge and experiences of previous and current events that occur.

Obviously everyone has different levels of experience and knowledge. With racing,what happens on the racetrack is the basis of a significant part of their thinking.

You push the idea that anyone who is gaining an unfair advantage,is not guilty of doing so unless they have been caught. Innocent until proven guilty.

Seeing things that way will mean you will always be proven to be wrong about someone when they actually are caught by authorities, Wrong with the benefit of hindsight..

Its inevitable that happen when you defend everyone on that basis.

Its also just as  inevitable that not everyone who is thought to be doing something illegal will be caught and that not everyone suspected of doing something also has actually done anything wrong.

So we come back to my original paragraph. 

And that is why peoples mind set around others opinions should try not to be over sensitive. Thats how i approach things.But you can't change,nor want to change anyones sensitiveness,so obviously some people can get upset sometimes. 

Having said all that,there is also the grey area of something being legal,but at the same time not neccesarilly being fair to everyone. Things like having access to wealth to enable your horses to have legal treatments to assist performance. Now i don't blame anyone for having those means,but i can understand why even in those circumstances where it is all legal,where it discourages participation when the legal means allows such significant difference in performance. When that happens its inevitable that people with no access to legal perfomance enhancers,will no longer participate.  

Which is why it is so important that authorities hear the views of those in that position,who express them through sites such as this. Without those opinions being expressed,those who run the sport simply would be out of touch with their ever diminishing base.

Edited by the galah

51 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Betterzippit (a plodder in Nz) won $500,000 in one race this year at Perth

A plodder?  Wins over $50k and has 5 wins in NZ.

As for the $500k in Perth.  Was it that good a field for a slot race worth $1m?

I've researched a few of these horses who have the finger pointed at them (often by @Archie Butterfly) because of a "sudden form reversal" and invariably I find some common factors.  There is the Bettor's Delight factor - they get better with age.  Reasonably well bred.  On more than one occasion the horse has run some really good sectionals.  Often trained and driven by an average or worse trainer/driver with some really bad drives.  Gear changes evident when getting to the new trainer.  Often a visible change in their style of racing and gait.  This last win by Beterzippit in NZ was quite good was it not?  Its last races in NZ it clocked a couple of 1:56 miles.  Didn't have to improve that much to win in OZ.  Yes the 1:48 mile at Menangle was exceptional but look at the differences in how he is racing in terms of style.

49 minutes ago, the galah said:

Opinions as to whether someone believes a trainer is gaining an unfair advantage over another competitor, are based on ones own knowledge and experiences of previous and current events that occur.

Just addressed some of that knowledge base in my last post.  Being better than the next guy isn't in itself an advantage.

50 minutes ago, the galah said:

You push the idea that anyone who is gaining an unfair advantage,is not guilty of doing so unless they have been caught. Innocent until proven guilty.

But you have already determined that they are guilty and have gained an unfair advantage purely on the basis that they are winning.  No evidence of cheating even with pre and post race testing.

52 minutes ago, the galah said:

Having said all that,there is also the grey area of something being legal,but at the same time not neccesarilly being fair to everyone. Things like having access to wealth to enable your horses to have legal treatments to assist performance.

If it is legal how can it by definition be unfair?  So being able to afford to treat your horses with the best vets, feed them the best food and hire the best trainers and drivers is unfair?  Did you go the the @holy ravioli school of economics?

56 minutes ago, the galah said:

but i can understand why even in those circumstances where it is all legal,where it discourages participation when the legal means allows such significant difference in performance. When that happens its inevitable that people with no access to legal perfomance enhancers,will no longer participate.

Would you operate your business like that?  That is tell your competitors what makes you product so much better than theirs?  That only achieves one thing a race towards mediocrity.

57 minutes ago, the galah said:

Which is why it is so important that authorities hear the views of those in that position,who express them through sites such as this. Without those opinions being expressed,those who run the sport simply would be out of touch with their ever diminishing base.

But you are only expressing an opinion that says "Grimson is a drug cheat" with no supporting evidence other than he wins races.  The same dirty finger that gets pointed at the Purdons or Te Akau or Gai Waterhouse.

If Grimson is so good and has some mysterious all powerful performance enhancer.......why doesn't he knock the Trainers Premiership out of the park?

Why isn't Emma Stewart called a drug cheat?  She averages 35% winners to starters - Grimson the low twenties.  Similar to Belinda Mcarthy.  Is it because they are women and better looking?

Belinda McCarthy and Mach Shard

55 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've researched a few of these horses who have the finger pointed at them

Mate the list goes on and on and on and on. Way past being just 'Bettor's Delight' Improvement with age. ( I think some,  like one of their first star runners, who exceded expectations a couple of years ago, and who made a Miracle Mile field, named Stylish Memphis by Bettors Delight were actually getting worse with age performance wise for Trainor /Grimson)

but anyway , lets go more recent. The 'Fight ' horse , and now Group 1 winner SWAYZEE is by RockNRoll Heaven and improved out of sight once he took it off Tim Butt earlier this year. 

as the Galah pointed out Just last Saturday night HI MYNAMEISJEFF , a Nz bred by Art Major, first start for the Grimson machine after starting 20-1 last month at Bendigo , 10-1 at Kilmore and running nowhere, Suddenly turns up with Grimson and runs 1.48.9 (exceptionally fast) and wins by 6 lengths at $1.70 favourite ?? hahahaha  no wonder i'm cynical lol😂

They also won the first race last Saturday with (another Nz plodder) BUBBA SCRUB who only has 2 wins from 5 starts for Grimson (poor by his standards lol 😆) By Hes Watching so not your stallion theory either. Anyways the 'BUBBA' thundered home to win in 1.51 as second fav. 

don't get me started on Loyalist either 😄

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Mate the list goes on and on and on and on. Way past being just 'Bettor's Delight' Improvement with age. ( I think some,  like one of their first star runners, who exceded expectations a couple of years ago, and who made a Miracle Mile field, named Stylish Memphis by Bettors Delight were actually getting worse with age performance wise for Trainor /Grimson)

but anyway , lets go more recent. The 'Fight ' horse , and now Group 1 winner SWAYZEE is by RockNRoll Heaven and improved out of sight once he took it off Tim Butt earlier this year. 

as the Galah pointed out Just last Saturday night HI MYNAMEISJEFF , a Nz bred by Art Major, first start for the Grimson machine after starting 20-1 last month at Bendigo , 10-1 at Kilmore and running nowhere, Suddenly turns up with Grimson and runs 1.48.9 (exceptionally fast) and wins by 6 lengths at $1.70 favourite ?? hahahaha  no wonder i'm cynical lol😂

They also won the first race last Saturday with (another Nz plodder) BUBBA SCRUB who only has 2 wins from 5 starts for Grimson (poor by his standards lol 😆) By Hes Watching so not your stallion theory either. Anyways the 'BUBBA' thundered home to win in 1.51 as second fav. 

don't get me started on Loyalist either 😄

What about all the other variables I've listed?  Been many trainers over the years who've seen a horse in another stable that they purchased and got going.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

HI MYNAMEISJEFF , a Nz bred by Art Major, first start for the Grimson machine after starting 20-1 last month at Bendigo , 10-1 at Kilmore and running nowhere, Suddenly turns up with Grimson and runs 1.48.9 (exceptionally fast) and wins by 6 lengths at $1.70 favourite ?? hahahaha  no wonder i'm cynical lol😂

But it wasn't out of character for the horse.  It had run a 1:51 mile rate to win at Melton in the past.  Isn't Menangle the super fast track?

Did you view those three starts after his previous win?  Paced really rough in the start before Grimson took over.  The start before that nearly went down when a horse came back on him and then ran a good sectional.  

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

What about all the other variables I've listed?  Been many trainers over the years who've seen a horse in another stable that they purchased and got going.

Yes there definitely is a variable somewhere , that is working flat out crazy 🤔.

You have to remember too, that the concern is on the repercussions of these 'improvements as well.  These are ALL horses someone else has worked with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allstars are champions in NZ and make most /nearly all the Winners into winners themselves. 

How do Tim Butts owners feel ? when suddenly a horse he had trained, goes to another stable, and then immeadiately starts winning group 1's !!  . Swayzee.  (after 8 unplaced mid-week runs for Tim this year) makes him look bad ? silly or something. 

Victorian Russell Jack is a very good horseman , and driver Nathan Jack too (in the game a long time, just like Time Butt) but suddenly looks like a mug Trainer as My NAMEISJEFF blasts away from the field at $1.70 in 1.49 mile , just 6 weeks after running a couple of lasts for the Jack stable. His owners are gunna be a little perplexed and you end up with on-going issues......

One Stable IMproving Every horse they get (well 2 stables as Jack Trainor too) will cause ISSUes in all the other stables? . Look at that unhappy bloke even wanting to fight about it lol...😆

But you have already determined that they are guilty and have gained an unfair advantage purely on the basis that they are winning.  No evidence of cheating even with pre and post race testing.

I have been saying everyone is saying that in australia. 

I've never really focused on him much other than to note what others say. Gammalite is the expert on the australian harness on this forum and he seems to agree with what others are saying over there..  

If it is legal how can it by definition be unfair?  So being able to afford to treat your horses with the best vets, feed them the best food and hire the best trainers and drivers is unfair?  Did you go the the @holy ravioli school of economics?

Would you operate your business like that?  That is tell your competitors what makes you product so much better than theirs?  That only achieves one thing a race towards mediocrity.

I have never once suggested feeding a horse the best or using the best trainers and drivers or facilities is unfair. My focus has always been on performance enhancing treatments horses receive which manipulate things like oxygen levels and red blood cells or the use of pain killers that allow horses to run pain free.Things that can also  lead to impacting a horses health.  e.g. Anabolic steroids or epo. They were legal at one point .Using your argument that type of thing is ok to do as long as it remains legal or can't be tested for. I don't subscribe to that view.

But you are only expressing an opinion that says "Grimson is a drug cheat" with no supporting evidence other than he wins races.  The same dirty finger that gets pointed at the Purdons or Te Akau or Gai Waterhouse.

I have never said anything about te akau myself and just mentioned what ron dufficy said about the current form of the waterhouse/bott trained horses.I'm no expert on australian racing. 

as far as the all stars go,yes i've expressed opinions about their horses uplift in performance on the big race days and how i believe it falls into the category i discussed in the earlier part of my reply.No point getting into that again now as i don't think it applies at the moment.

Edited by the galah

If Grimson is so good and has some mysterious all powerful performance enhancer.......why doesn't he knock the Trainers Premiership out of the park?

Why isn't Emma Stewart called a drug cheat?  She averages 35% winners to starters - Grimson the low twenties.  

emma stewart not a great example if you look at her partner clayton tonkins history.

I do think you have mentioned the reason that will most discourage wagering on harness racing in parts of australia.

That is races where short priced favorites dominate the betting.

Emma stewart  stable certainly does that in victoria.Who bets on those races with three or 4 emma stewart trained runners in with one paying $1.30. 

23 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

You have to remember too, that the concern is on the repercussions of these 'improvements as well.  These are ALL horses someone else has worked with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes and that is probably the biggest problem.  He has taken others cast offs and improved them.  Nothing worse than showing someone else up,

26 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

How do Tim Butts owners feel ? when suddenly a horse he had trained, goes to another stable, and then immeadiately starts winning group 1's !!  . Swayzee.  (after 8 unplaced mid-week runs for Tim this year) makes him look bad ? silly or something.

So?  It's happened many many times over the history of harness racing.  Hasn't Tim Butt been all over the place in the last couple of years?  Setting up stables and then moving again?

34 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Victorian Russell Jack is a very good horseman , and driver Nathan Jack too (in the game a long time, just like Time Butt) but suddenly looks like a mug Trainer as My NAMEISJEFF blasts away from the field at $1.70 in 1.49 mile , just 6 weeks after running a couple of lasts for the Jack stable. His owners are gunna be a little perplexed and you end up with on-going issues......

The horse Jack runs in a claimer the next start after winning?  Look at the videos the horse was pacing rough.  Seems Grimson fixed the ailment.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But it wasn't out of character for the horse.  It had run a 1:51 mile rate to win at Melton in the past.  Isn't Menangle the super fast track?

Did you view those three starts after his previous win?  Paced really rough in the start before Grimson took over.  The start before that nearly went down when a horse came back on him and then ran a good sectional. 

thats a Fair call Chief. and yes Menangle is a fast track.  I've checked it out and yes the horse did have some good races last year as you say.... and has just resumed after a year off the track when ran unplaced last month a couple of times for Jack.

Still ....Grimson is going to do very well with it (My NameisJeff) going by the thundering run last Saturday .

and if you aim for the stars, like he did with Swayzee , ya just might get there I spose.

5 minutes ago, the galah said:

emma stewart not a great example if you look at her partner clayton tonkins history.

I do think you have mentioned the reason that will most discourage wagering on harness racing in parts of australia.

That is races where short priced favorites dominate the betting.

Emma stewart  stable certainly does that in victoria.Who bets on those races with three or 4 emma stewart trained runners in with one paying $1.30. 

So are you saying they are all cheating?  If Grimson is do good why isn't his win % as good as Mcarthy?  Is she cheating as well?  Is this some big conspiracy?

As for short placed favourites we used to get the same complaints with the All Stars.

33 minutes ago, the galah said:

as far as the all stars go,yes i've expressed opinions about their horses uplift in performance on the big race days and how i believe it falls into the category i discussed in the earlier part of my reply.No point getting into that again now as i don't think it applies at the moment.

So they set their horses for the big money?  Same as Waller does.  If as a punter you think every horse is tightened right up for every race then you are misguided.

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So are you saying they are all cheating?  If Grimson is do good why isn't his win % as good as Mcarthy?  Is she cheating as well?  Is this some big conspiracy?

As for short placed favourites we used to get the same complaints with the All Stars.

Mrs McCArthy did a year out DQ once  .  Currently the other big stable at Menangle has it's figurehead Kerryann Morris out for 6 months DQ with a positive. bad girl Mrs Morris.

How very Lucky for Luke McCarthy and Robbie Morris that they both conveniently put the Trainers Licence in theirs wives names over the years,  so they take the Disqualification should the need arise 😄.  ....no divorce offered as yet.. 😂.

Wonder if Grimson and/or Trainor are getting married soon ?😂 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, the galah said:

I have been saying everyone is saying that in australia.

I very much doubt it.  Much of it is coming from disgruntled trainers and owners who have sold horses and seen them improve.  Bear in mind they sold those horses thinking they were getting a good deal.  We don't actually hear much of the cast offs that Grimson got that he couldn't turn around.  There must be a few otherwise his winning percentage would be up with the top trainers.

3 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Currently the other big stable at Menangle has it's figurehead Kerryann Morris out for 6 months DQ with a positive. bad girl Mrs Morris.

For using Levamisole - used to eliminate parasitic worm infections in cattle.  Levamisole has been in and out of the banned substance list for horses over quite a few years.  In Morris's case wasn't her defence that Ken Barron had done it and his defence was that he used a combined mineral and antiparasitic drench?  Recent research indicates that the half life of Levamisole is longer than first thought.  The problem in racing is that it metabolises into two prohibited stimulants.