Bit Of A Yarn

Awapuni refurbishment meeting transfers

curious

Yes, I wondered about Woodville. Also Foxton might have been called on for a couple of these to keep the pressure off those other tracks. Good they are fixing Awapuni, hopefully properly, but the pressure on some of these other tracks doesn't make much sense when there would seem to be other options in much closer proximity to the horse population.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Doomed said:

At least they haven't moved them all to Waverly which used to be the go to track for transfers.

Maybe resurrecting Marton, Feilding, Foxton, Levin, Bulls, Masterton, Waipukurau, Napier Park, Wairoa, Gisborne, Stratford actually just getting started e.g. Carterton, Ashurst, Pihama etc.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, Huey said:

So long as Awapuni is ok at the end of it is all they care about. Same as Ellerslie situation.

History would tell us that there is no guarantee whether you are talking Awapuni or any other track.  It's pretty convenient for present officials to blame those of the past.

Otaki have done well out of the reshuffle gaining Boxing Day and Anzac Day.

What this demonstrates to me is that racing can continue in some shape or form without two of the major players, Ellerslie and Awapuni.  If those two valuable land banks were sold to fund the rest of the industry there would be a sizeable fund to renovate the remaining venues to a high standard, rather than sell the smaller tracks whereby the smaller pot of gold would not be eternal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Special Agent said:

History would tell us that there is no guarantee whether you are talking Awapuni or any other track.  It's pretty convenient for present officials to blame those of the past.

Otaki have done well out of the reshuffle gaining Boxing Day and Anzac Day.

What this demonstrates to me is that racing can continue in some shape or form without two of the major players, Ellerslie and Awapuni.  If those two valuable land banks were sold to fund the rest of the industry there would be a sizeable fund to renovate the remaining venues to a high standard, rather than sell the smaller tracks whereby the smaller pot of gold would not be eternal.

Here is what I don't get. Ellerslie is supposed to be or will be the showcase of NZ racing. Now there are other activities happening there all the time even a golfing facility. Its a great location intersecting all transport routes e.g. airport, road, rail etc. What better location than place racing offices e.g. NZTR head office and Trackside there which would save considerable funds.

They get all these great achievers on these boards yet when it comes to translating their great successes to racing they are total failures. I haven't seen anywhere any reports or debates on that feasibility.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

13 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Here is what I don't get. Ellerslie is supposed to be or will be the showcase of NZ racing. Now there are other activities happening there all the time even a golfing facility. Its a great location intersecting all transport routes e.g. airport, road, rail etc. What better location than place racing offices e.g. NZTR head office and Trackside there which would save considerable funds.

They get all these great achievers on these boards yet when it comes to translating their great successes to racing they are total failures. I haven't seen anywhere any reports or debates on that feasibility.

Explain to me how that would save money?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can't see how moving offices to Ellerslie from the Waikato is a great cost saver?  Esp. given that there has just been - or will be very soon - a move from Petone to Hamilton or Cambridge or wherever.

9 hours ago, Freda said:

Explain to me how that would save money?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I can't see how moving offices to Ellerslie from the Waikato is a great cost saver?  Esp. given that there has just been - or will be very soon - a move from Petone to Hamilton or Cambridge or wherever.

Question of population, expert staff and linking to sponsors. Any rental charges to Auckland Racing keeps money in the system. Just imagine when broadcasting Trackside has the racetrack in the background.  Prestige and image.

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Question of population, expert staff and linking to sponsors. Any rental charges to Auckland Racing keeps money in the system. Just imagine when broadcasting Trackside has the racetrack in the background.  Prestige and image.

It would in tears. Let's not forget that the ARC kicked NZ Thoroughbred Breeders out of Ellerslie. Trackside had a very modest rent to pay out of Avalon but moved to Stanley Street where their rent increased dramatically. 

Also, you talk about population well sadly Ellerslie needs to "rent a crowd" unless it's for one day a year when NZTR pays out a fortune for giant piss up.

• Like 2