• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• Well my comments about what the udr's have been in the last 25 years, were to justify why i said purdons results got a major boost when rasmussen came along. I've just looked up the stakes won and when rasmussen came along mark purdon went from having mostly about double the nearest trainer to being treble with rasmussen. so that again just confirms what i said.Rasmussen brought to the partnership . also i haven't gone the early crow. i actually said earlier i can't see much changing at the all stars and from that i would assume they will still be at or near the top of the ladder. they will still have the systems and techniques in place to boost performance for the big days. Mark purdon was undeniably the benchmark for nz trainers,but personally i think the media over hyped the gap between his training abilities and other top trainers.  
    • New Zealand-bred gelding Gringotts (NZ) (Per Incanto) took his promising career to new heights in Brisbane on Saturday with a first black-type success in the A$160,000 Listed Sky Racing Members’ Handicap (1600m) at Doomben. It was the seventh win from just a 13-race career for the four-year-old, who has earned A$590,050 for a syndicate of owners headed by Ozzie Kheir and John O’Neill. Gringotts collected a win and three placings from four starts in the spring, but has found a rich vein of form in an undefeated autumn. He resumed with a Benchmark 88 handicap victory over 1400m at Rosehill on March 30, then won the Tamworth Cup (1400m) on April 26. On Saturday he lifted that winning streak into stakes company. Ridden by Jamie Kah for trainer Ciaron Maher, Gringotts showed early speed before easing back into fourth. Kah presented Gringotts on the outside of the leaders at the home turn and pushed the button, and the favourite rolled forward to take command. Gringotts asserted his superiority down the straight and completed a two-length victory over Knights Choice (Extreme Choice) and the fellow Kiwi-bred Nikau Spur (NZ) (Proisir). “It just worked out perfectly in the end,” Kah said. “When he jumped, I wasn’t going to be that positive, but he jumped and put himself there. It worked out well. “He surprised me how well he jumped and when I had no cover I was a little bit worried. But as soon as we got cover, he relaxed and he was fine. “I was very confident on the turn. He’s a bit of an overthinker, so I gave him a few just to wake him up, but he was always home. “I galloped this horse at Moonee Valley months and months ago and got off him and said, ‘Who is this horse? Gee he’s a nice horse.’ He’s put some good wins together now and he’s in for a nice prep.” Gringotts was bred by Totara Park Stud and is by Little Avondale Stud’s outstanding sire Per Incanto out of the Savabeel mare Miss Bluebell (NZ). Herself unraced, Miss Bluebell is a daughter of Operavega (NZ) (Stravinsky), whose half-sister Vegas Showgirl (NZ) (Al Akbar) was the dam of the legendary Winx (Street Cry). Miss Bluebell is now the dam of two stakes performers from her only two foals to race. The other is Millefiori (NZ) (Iffraaj), who has won seven races for Te Akau Racing and also finished second in this season’s Listed Great Easter Stakes (1400m). Gringotts was offered by Archer Park in Book 1 of Karaka 2021, where Kasa Bloodstock bought him for $100,000. He was re-offered at the Ready to Run Sale later that year, but failed to meet his $450,000 reserve. He was subsequently sold privately after winning a trial at Waipa for Simon and Katrina Alexander. View the full article
    • Islington Lass (NZ) (Proisir) could have Group One goals on her radar after capping her breakthrough campaign with victory in Saturday’s Listed James Bull Rangitikei Cup (1600m) at Trentham. The $80,000 feature was the sixth win from only a 10-start career for the Proisir mare, who has now earned more than $146,000. The five-year-old began the season with a rating of 70, but wasted no time in climbing through the ranks with impressive victories at New Plymouth on November 24, Trentham on December 23 and Otaki on April 1. Islington Lass suffered her first defeat of the season when second to Mr Mojo Risin’ (NZ) (Deep Field) in the Listed ANZAC Mile (1600m) at Otaki on April 25, but she bounced back in style at Trentham on Saturday with a first black-type success. The $1.80 favourite had drawn awkwardly in gate 12 among a 13-horse field, and she was caught four wide for most of the race but with cover. Rider Michael McNab brought her to the outside at the top of the straight and set out in pursuit of front-running stablemate Sumi (NZ) (Atlante). That rival had plenty left in the tank and was showing no signs of stopping, while the Lisa Latta-trained Lincoln Falls (Dundeel) loomed as a major threat wider out. With those rivals going strongly on each side of her, it briefly looked like third might be the best that Islington Lass could manage. But that little bit of X-factor kicked in through the last 150m and Islington Lass surged forward, hitting the lead and pulling ahead to win by half a length. Lincoln Falls took second, with Sumi another length away in third. “I thought her last-start run was her best performance so far, and she got beaten that day,” McNab said. “She made hard work of it today, real hard work, but she got the job done in the end. “Lincoln Falls probably put at least a neck on me at one stage and her wheels were spinning. It took her a while to change legs as well, so she’s done it all wrong for a lot of the race, but she got it right in the last bit.” Islington Lass became the third Rangitikei Cup winner in the last seven years for trainer Allan Sharrock, who won it with Ladies First (NZ) (Dylan Thomas) in 2017 and Justaskme (NZ) (No Excuse Needed) last year. “She sat four wide today and I thought she was gone at the corner,” Sharrock admitted. “I thought Sumi had her covered. But she was relentless. “She’s had 10 races now and won six of them, and she’s still learning the game. She’s a lovely big mare, more than 16 hands, and she has attitude too.” Sharrock is now keen to point Islington Lass towards the Gr.1 Livamol Classic (2040m) at Hastings on October 12. “I’ll have to talk to the owner, but I think she’s that sort of quality,” he said. “She doesn’t mind an off track, so if we have a wet spring, she could even go for both the mile and the 2000m race. “She’ll got to the paddock now for a month, and then we’ll plan our assault on that Spring Carnival.” Islington Lass is one of three winners out of the Montjeu mare Miss Relentless (NZ), who is also the dam of the nine-race winner and Group Three-placed Alhambra Lad (NZ) (Proisir). Miss Relentless is a half-sister to Trelawney Stud’s Group One winner and quality broodmare Boundless (NZ) (Van Nistelrooy). Sharrock was pleased with all of his three runners in Saturday’s Rangitikei Cup, with Sumi finishing third while Justaskme produced an eye-catching finish for fifth under 59kg. He is building towards the Listed AGC Challenge Stakes (1600m) at Wanganui on June 1. “Justaskme ran a real good race, the old boy, and he’s still got some more wins in him yet,” Sharrock said. “I think we could go to stud with Sumi, but she may keep racing until around Christmas once she’s in foal.” View the full article
    • It’s hard to describe the win of a $12 third favourite as an upset but that is what consistent mare Bold Belle (NZ) (The Bold One) landed when she led all the way at Trentham over 1100m on Saturday.  Punters had their sights focused on the multiple Group One placed mare Babylon Berlin (All Too Hard) ($2.30) and last start winner Wewillrock (NZ) (El Roca) ($1.90) in the open event named in honour of Waikato Stud’s Garry Chittick, who is celebrating his eightieth birthday.  Bold Belle looked anything like a drifting third favourite in the five-horse field as apprentice Jim Chung bounced her quickly to the head of proceedings and dictated terms to the two favourites.  Travelling sweetly through the Trentham crossing Bold Belle put some distance on Wewillrock and Babylon Berlin who were chasing hard and she refused to yield in the run home, holding out the pair by a length and a half at the post in a slick 1.03.60 for the journey on a Soft 7 rated surface.  Trainer Bryce Newman was full of smiles after the contest and was thankful for some advice he received from the mare’s regular rider Kate Hercock in respect of taking advantage of an apprentice riding her, thereby reducing the mare’s impost to a mere 51kgs with Chung’s 3kg claim.  “I thought when I saw the noms oh crikey this could be a bit tough,” Newman said.  “I have to thank Kate who said it’s time to claim off Belle as she has got a lot easier to ride of late.  “We got a big pull in the weights today and the track suits, so I’m stoked.  “I said to Jimmy don’t let them cross you and her fourth in the Listed race (1200m) first up was pretty good.  “She hasn’t always wanted to settle, but I told Jimmy today is not the day to settle just go for it and he did.  “We did have a lot on our side, and we might put her aside for a while now as she doesn’t really like the real deep tracks.”  Chung was also beaming as he accepted congratulations from his supporters.  “It was only 1100m today and Bryce told me to go forward,” he said.  “I think the light weight has helped her out and she tried a lot.  “She didn’t pull too hard and settled nicely so she is going well. I couldn’t hear anything coming near me so that was pretty lucky.”  By The Bold One out of the five-race winner Gossiping (NZ) (Al Akbar), Bold Belle has now won four of her 15 starts and $95,000 in prizemoney. View the full article
    • Consistent galloper Aris Aris (NZ) (Contributer) produced a powerful finish to down a talented line-up of winter gallopers when taking out the feature flat event at Te Rapa on Saturday, the Dunstan Horsefeeds 1300.  The Mark Walker and Sam Bergerson-prepared five-year-old mare had been thereabouts in her first three runs of this campaign, and with Niranjan Parmar claiming 1kg off her initial 54kg impost, she looked well-placed in the contest.  That was how it panned out as the daughter of Contributer sat back in the early stages as race favourite Turn The Ace (NZ) (Turn Me Loose) ($3.30) set up a solid pace in pursuit of his seventh victory at the venue from just 12 starts.  Turn The Ace looked to be going well with 300m to run, however the effects of his 59.5kg began to tell at this point as he was joined by the well backed Dusty Road (NZ) (Shamexpress) ($4.90) with Aris Aris ($10.90) chiming in wider out.  The trio set down to it with Aris Aris finding extra to take the victory from Dusty Road by a neck, with Turn The Ace a nose away in third.  “It was terrific to see her back in the winner’s circle after things not quite going her way of late, and great to get another win Gordon Cunningham and Greg Tomlinson,” Mark Walker said.  “They’re both great breeders and she’s going to make a lovely broodmare when retired from racing.  “We varied her training during the week to include some jumping and it really switched her on, and a gear change with the addition of a shadow roll, as well, I think made all the difference.”  Aris Aris is out of the six-race winning Darci Brahma mare Irish Encore (NZ) and comes from an extended family that includes Iflooxcouldkill (NZ) (Daggers Drawn), the champion New Zealand two-year-old filly of 2003 who included the Gr.1 Ellerslie Sires Produce Stakes (1200m) amongst her three career wins.  She was bred and raced by Kevin Hickman ONZM, winning on debut at Taupo, and again at Wanganui, before being sold at auction on gavelhouse.com for $72,500 to owners Gordon Cunningham (Curraghmore Stud) and Greg Tomlinson (Nearco Stud).  Aris Aris has now won five of her 21 starts and over $128,000 in prizemoney. View the full article
  • Topics