• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• Waikato Girl (blue cap) and Vlad Duric stuck close to the rails to get up and win the Listed Princess Stakes at Eagle Farm. Photo: Grant Peters, Trackside Photography Impeccably bred Savabeel filly Waikato Girl has added valuable black-type to her CV with a brave victory in the Listed Princess Stakes (1600m) at Eagle Farm on Saturday for trainer Michael Freedman. Bred and part-owned by Sir Peter Vela, Waikato Girl is out of Scintilulla, a Group Three winning and multiple Group One placed daughter of champion sire Galileo. Sporting the colours of Gandharvi Racing, Waikato Girl broke maiden ranks when successful at Rosehill in November. She found her way to Queensland for the upcoming Brisbane winter carnival off the back of finishing just beyond midfield in the Group 3 Adrian Knox Stakes (2000m) on a Heavy track at Randwick earlier in the month. Specked late in the betting the filly travelled in midfield before sneaking up one off the fence early in the run home. Rider Vlad Duric got to work in the final 200m and she slowly reeled in Amazonian Lass, who looked set for victory after moving clear of the field at that point, gaining the upper hand in the shadows of the post to register her second career success at just her seventh start. Kiwi import Firestorm was a shade unlucky in third in what was a messy race. Duric admitted the confidence of Freedman had him feeling good about his chances prior to the race, although he had to overcome plenty of adversity in the run. “Michael was very bullish about her with blinkers on today,” Duric said. “Gee it was a rough race. There were horses that nearly fell in front of me and the horse inside me clipped heels and bumped into her and put her into the fence. “The win was first-class. To pick herself up and then fight at the end of the race, all credit goes to her and goes to Michael. “She has got black-type and I know there are a few people who will be very chuffed about this win. My good friend Mike Kneebone (Director of New Zealand Bloodstock) will be rapt, so it’s very good.” The blueblood filly has plenty of Queensland options and is in the market for the Group 1 Queensland Oaks (2200m) at Eagle Farm on June 8. Horse racing news View the full article
    • Turns out there is one more race in that series,so by starting tomorrow he can qualify. Cunning plan back on it seems. They may drive it a bit quieter tomorrow as they may not want to get another handicap penalty if it won. Who knows.
    • Local trainer Phillip Stokes and young jockey Lachlan Neindorf pulled off a major upset in the 2024 Robert Sangster Stakes at Morphettville on Saturday, with their mare Climbing Star saluting at a juicy $26 price. The four-year-old Zoustar daughter arrived in peak form, following a win in the Listed Matrice Classic (1200m) and a narrow second to Benedetta in the Group 3 RN Irwin Stakes (1100m). A stumble out of the gates forced Neindorf to improvise, abandoning their pre-race plan to take the outside lane. Instead, he kept his cool, staying tucked away near the back of the pack. This tactical switch proved crucial. As they entered the home straight, Neindorf hugged the rails, allowing Climbing Star to conserve energy and find a clear path. The longshot filly surged forward, battling off a late charge from the fast-finishing Learning To Fly. Race favourite Estriella led the pack early, but faded in the final stages eventually running fifth. All eyes turned to Learning To Fly, who appeared poised to snatch victory after a strong closing burst. However, Climbing Star displayed remarkable heart and determination, holding off the challenge to claim a surprise victory. Learning To Fly settled for a close second, while Benedetta completed the trifecta with a strong third-place finish. “That was super,” said a delighted Stokes after the race. “I was watching the race and I thought hang on a second, what happened? We were meant to get her to the outside. “No horse had been there (the inside) all day. “Great for Lachie to get the win.” Neindorf, overcome with emotion, echoed Stokes’ sentiment: “It was a really good win. She stumbled at the start and I wanted to be a lot closer. Eventually, we got the favours and here we are!” While there’s no set plan to run in the upcoming Group 1 $1 million The Goodwood (1200m) back at the track on May 11, Stokes is optimistic about her potential. “We got her to peak on the day today,” he said. “She’s come of her own now. She’s coming of age and just starting to blossom now. “They still haven’t seen the best of her. “She’s got a great spring ahead of her I think. “We’d want to be happy with her (to contest The Goodwood). We don’t have to do that. “If she pulls up well, we’ll look at it.” 2024 Robert Sangster Stakes Results Finish No. Horse Trainer Jockey Margin Bar. Weight Penalty Starting Price 1 7 CLIMBING STAR (NZ) Phillip Stokes Lachlan Neindorf 14 56.5kg $26 2 13 LEARNING TO FLY Annabel Neasham Chad Schofield 0.3L 13 54.5kg $10 3 4 BENEDETTA Jason Warren Daniel Stackhouse 0.4L 1 56.5kg $9 4 2 I AM ME Ciaron Maher Blake Shinn 1.4L 2 56.5kg $5 5 12 ESTRIELLA Ciaron Maher Mark Zahra 2.5L 11 54.5kg (cd 55kg) $2.80F 6 14 STRETAN ANGEL Phillip Stokes Damian Lane 2.9L 10 54.5kg $26 7 11 WALTZ ON BY Peter G Moody & Katherine Coleman Billy Egan 4.1L 8 56.5kg $26 8 10 SNAPPED Anthony & Sam Freedman Todd Pannell 4.4L 7 56.5kg $81 9 1 ZAPATEO James Cummings Ms Jamie Kah 4.5L 3 56.5kg $8 10 9 WONDERFUL TONIGHT Sam Mynott Craig Williams 5L 12 56.5kg $101 11 3 PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE Grahame Begg Jordan Childs 5.1L 6 56.5kg $9 12 8 LEMPICKA Ken & Kasey Keys Blaike McChief Stipeall 6.9L 4 56.5kg $81 13 6 SKEW WIFF (NZ) Mark Walker Michael Dee 6.9L 5 56.5kg $81 14 5 ROOTS Chris Waller James McDonald 8L 9 56.5kg $26 Table Credit: Racing Australia. This page and the written content within it were partially generated using AI or automated technology and edited and verified by our editorial team. THINK. IS THIS A BET YOU REALLY WANT TO PLACE? For free and confidential support call 1800 858 858 or visit gamblinghelponline.org.au. The post Climbing Star Upsets in Thrilling Robert Sangster Stakes 2024 Result appeared first on HorseRacing.com.au. View the full article
    • I’munstoppable leaves the field in her wake with a sharp front-running display in Group 3 Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes (1200m). Photo: Kenton Wright (Race Images) Just twenty-four hours after the passing of Wexford Stables figurehead Dave “DJ” O’Sullivan, the New Zealand training icon would have been looking down on Te Rapa with a beaming smile as promising filly I’munstoppable led from go to whoa to capture the Group 3 Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes (1200m) for the Matamata operation. Prepared by O’Sullivan’s fellow New Zealand Hall of Fame member and son Lance alongside Andrew Scott, the three-year-old daughter of Charm Spirit led her age group rivals a merry dash throughout in the hands of Sam Spratt. Spratt bounced her out nicely from barrier five and enjoyed an uncontested lead, quickening nicely around the home bend where she established a three-length break on her nearest rival. Rank outsider Our Absolute (+6000) got closest to the flying I’munstoppable but she was still over three lengths in arrears at the winning post with Impendabelle shading Eqyptian Queen for third. 2024 Group 3 Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes Replay – I’munstoppable “Early in the spring we thought she was up to this (level) but she was getting things wrong,” Andrew Scott said. “She has built well for this with her last run a fortnight ago, then a week out on the farm before coming back in good form. “It’s good team effort by everyone and I’m so pleased for John and Julie (McLachlan, owners) as they have been so patient with her. “That is her ability as she can really burn, and she will be a good Kiwi sprinter when she is four and five. “Around Ellerslie three starts ago she was a bit stiff and today she has just run them into the ground.” Spratt was delighted a pre-race game plan had worked to perfection. “She doesn’t mind the sting out of the ground and there wasn’t any real speed in the race so both Scotty and I thought we could lead,” she said. “It all panned out well as she came up underneath me fine, although halfway up the straight I thought she might be shortening stride, but she had the others under plenty of strife. “I knew she could skip through the ground and sneak away so it was lovely we could manage to do that.” Bred and raced by John McLachlan and his wife Julie-Anne, I’munstoppable is out of their Rip Van Winkle mare Sisterella, who is a daughter of Group 2 Awapuni Gold Cup (2000m) placegetter Arabian Nights. She is the older half-sister of two-year-old Belardo gelding Lachie who ran fourth on debut in the second race on the card, and has now won three of her eight starts and $97,000 in prizemoney. The victory provided the O’Sullivan-Scott partnership with a double on the day and broke their previous season’s best winning tally with the duo now sitting at 50 wins for the year. Horse racing news View the full article
    • Climbing Star claims Group One honours at Morphettville. Photo: Atkins Photography Jockey Lachlan Neindorf celebrated a Group One milestone as he guided Zoustar mare Climbing High to the pair’s first Group One victory in the Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) at Morphettville. After stepping slowly, Climbing Star, who carries the NZ suffix, settled near last in a strongly run race. The Phillip Stokes-trained four-year-old spotted the leaders in excess of ten lengths and was down on the inner of the track which jockeys had avoided for most of the day. Neindorf didn’t panic and gambled on a rails run which he gratefully accepted as the majority of the field rolled out towards the middle of the track. Climbing Star dashed into contention and narrowly defeated Learning To Fly who came deepest of all, with Benedetta back in third. 2024 Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes Replay – Climbing Star It was the first success at the highest level for the twenty-two-year-old Neindorf and he was trying to remain calm immediately after the race, although the emotion of the moment was clearly playing out as he accepted congratulations from well-wishers. “I’m trying to keep it together but it was a really good win,” Neindorf said. “She stumbled at the start as I wanted to be a lot closer and from that point on, I just went bugger this, let’s go back to the inside and try and ride a race. “We got the favours and here we are. “A lot was going through my head and I was just trying to treat it like another race, thinking I’d cut my losses and run home into a place with even luck but this is very special. “This is for everyone in the Stokes stable and for my family and everyone here.” Stokes had been cautiously confident in the buildup regarding the chances of both his runners, with Stretan Angel also engaged and felt the outside barrier for Climbing Star might be to her advantage although those thoughts went out the window as the barriers opened. “I thought the outside barrier may not be as bad the way the track was playing,” he said. “She has been aimed at this, was third up and going super so we thought she would give a sight. “When I was watching the race, I was thinking what is happening here as we were meant to be on the outer, but it is just great for Lachie to get the win. “I’ve got some really good friends in this horse so it is a big thrill. “She has just come of age and is starting to blossom and she has a big Spring ahead of her.” Horse racing news View the full article
  • Topics