• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies

Announcements

• I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
    • Clubs used to give out the password (there were various sectors like the press) at the Secretary's Office but, it would make sense for Entain to now offer the service.
    • You do know that what Chris Waller has is not contagious, don't you.
    • Izymydaad (inside) and Donardo jump the final fence of the Dr John Moore Memorial Open Steeplechase (3800m) at Wanganui. Photo: Peter Rubery (Race Images Palmerston North) A pair of rising 12-year-olds fought out the finish of Thursday’s Dr John Moore Memorial Open Steeplechase (3800m) at Wanganui, with the Ken Duncan-trained Izymydaad coming out on top. The evergreen son of Istidaad commenced his racing career in 2019 and the gelding’s second appearance came over the fences, with every season under his belt bringing new heights, including a narrow second to champion jumper West Coast in the Wellington Steeplechase (5500m) in July last year. Hunterville-based Duncan kicked off Izymydaad’s campaign last year at the Wanganui meeting and he was successful in the same race by nearly five lengths, a result he replicated by a much smaller margin on Thursday. Izymydaad took up his customary front-running position early in the 3800m event, with $1.45 favourite Hey Happy settling in behind the speed on the back up from a spectacular display at Te Rapa last Saturday. Another veteran in Des De Jeu was the first to challenge Izymydaad nearing the 1000m, but the gelding pulled away again turning for home and was set to fight it out with fellow 11-year-old Donardo, eventually holding him off by a slim head at the post. Duncan was swift in applauding the performance of Izymydaad’s pilot Stephan Karnicnik following the race, explaining he had just returned from a lengthy injury lay-off to take his 24th ride aboard the gelding. “It was a lovely run, the horse tried hard and when the contenders took him on around the track, he fought them off. He fought really hard to the end,” Duncan said. “I give full credit to Stephan, he’s been out with an injury and hadn’t been on a horse for six months until he stayed with me three days ago. “He’s ridden quite a few since he’s been at home, and I think he was hurting more than the horse at the finish.” With the cancellation of the Waverley Point-To-Point last month, Duncan opted to take Izymydaad for a final hit-out over the fences at Levin on Tuesday, where he was an overwhelming winner of his heat. “He’s been up and down the hills at home to get fit, unfortunately Waverley was cancelled so we ran him at Levin on Tuesday as these jumping trials are very important to the industry,” Duncan said. “He ran an impressive trial there, which I thought may have taken the edge off him, but it made him a bit harder for today.” Duncan, who also co-owns Izymydaad, was pleased to see his charge was still as keen a jumper as ever despite his age leading into the race. “He’s come in as good as ever, he was actually sillier in the paddock this morning than I’ve seen him in a while, he was like a three-year-old. I actually thought he might jump the gate,” Duncan said. “The two 11-year-olds were going to the line together, I spoke to Lucy (de Lautour, trainer of Donardo) today and every year we think ‘do they want to have a go again’, but after giving this horse a run on the flat, he put his hand up and said he still wants to be out there and competing. “They’re funny old horses, but you put the jumps in front of them, and away they go. He won by a jump at the trials he was so far in front, and he came home as happy as a lark, right on the bounce for today.” With five victories and just shy of $144,000 in stakes to his name, Izymydaad will be heading for the Manawatu Steeplechase (4000m), scheduled to run at Trentham on May 25. “We love going to Wellington, so the Manawatu Steeplechase is next on his agenda and hopefully it is run there,” Duncan said. Horse racing news View the full article
    • Our Absolute will contest the Van Dyks 3YO (1400m) at Arawa Park on Saturday. Photo: Kenton Wright (Race Images) Our Absolute continued a memorable season for trainers Robyn and Russell Rogers when she was runner-up in the Group 3 Cambridge Breeders’ Stakes (1200m) at Te Rapa a fortnight ago. The result added some valuable black-type to her pedigree page, also achieved by stablemate Zecora, who won the Group 3 J Swap Sprint (1400m) at Te Rapa in December. The Kendayla Park principals bred and part-own both horses and were particularly excited for Our Absolute’s part-owners Trudy Thornton and Lynsey Satherley, with the latter having ridden the daughter of Niagara to the black-type result. “We were really happy with her last run, and I think she has improved again since then,” Robyn Rogers said. “It (black-type) is always really important being a filly. Because we bred her, we have got a lot of the family, so you get a multiple positive factor when something can poke its nose in and get some black-type. “That was such a good field in the Breeders’, we were just hoping she would run in the first six, it was a really nice surprise to see her be so close at the end. “Trudy was the first one to ring us that morning to wish us luck and then ring and congratulate us. It was great for Trudy but especially for Lynsey, who now does all the work on her. She is a tough little filly.” The plan was to head to Arawa Park on Saturday to tackle the Group 3 Rotorua ITM Stakes (1400m) with Our Absolute, however, the Rogers’ elected to change tack and head to the Van Dyks 3YO (1400m) with their filly on the undercard instead. “We hummed and hawed whether we would put her in the weight-for-age race, that was originally our target,” Rogers said. “Then we heard of a few others that were going there and we thought that was going to be really strong and this was a nice option, being a three-year-old race on the same day. “She is not going to get too many more three-year-old races before the end of the season, so we opted to go that way. “It is still a strong race, there are quite a few in there that you wouldn’t be surprised if they won.” Rogers said she is happy with her filly, and while she does think she will handle the Rotorua track this weekend, the unknown of competing at Arawa Park remains a concern for the Waikato horsewoman. “The only concern is that she has never raced at Rotorua – some horses love Rotorua and some don’t,” she said. “I don’t know if she will love the track or not. She jumps, puts herself in the race, and she is great in that respect. If anything was going to like Rotorua, you would think she would, but you never know. “I think quite a few are in the same boat about Rotorua, so it will be about who handles it on the day.” Following Saturday’s run, Rogers said Our Absolute will likely have one more run at Ruakaka before heading to the spelling paddock. “Originally we were thinking this might be it, but she is still very bouncy and very well,” she said. “We may look at a couple of three-year-old races coming up at Ruakaka where the ground is always a bit better up there. “Now that she has got a bit of black-type, that takes some pressure off. You would always like to improve on that and win a black-type race, but that is very hard to do. “She has done all of this on one prep really – she went to the breakers and came out and then started racing and has kept going. She has quite exceeded our expectations of what she would do this prep. As soon as she tells us she is a little bit tired, she will go to the paddock.” Group 3-winning stablemate Zecora is enjoying her time in the spelling paddock and Rogers said they are still contemplating whether she will return to the track in the spring or be offered to the public as a broodmare prospect ahead of the upcoming breeding season. “We are still tossing up whether we will bring her back for another prep or we might look at selling her as a broodmare, now that she has got her black-type win,” Rogers said. “She went to the paddock feeling very full of herself and watching her gallop around the paddock now, I think she is ready to come back into work, but whether we do or not, we haven’t made that decision yet.” Horse racing news View the full article
  • Topics