Bit Of A Yarn

Another meeting bites the dust.

barryb

3 hours ago, hesi said:

For those that question the advisability of upgrading tracks and question what good it will be, Messara covers it in the report

"In this connection, we were advised that one international computer betting organisation had researched some 10 years of New Zealand thoroughbred racing form and results and concluded that their system could not be assured of making a profit, which it did in other countries in which they operated, even after allowing for potential rebates on significant betting turnover. Their conclusion was that the randomness and variance of form and results in New Zealand was probably unique with the main reasons being the generally poor state of tracks, the amount of wet track racing and wide deviations in track conditions as between tracks at the same time of year. These views are important as a robust and appealing betting product is critical to the future of the New Zealand thoroughbred racing industry"

I could think of other reasons,  unique to NZ,  that lead to random and hard-to-follow results - not just variations in tracks.

If your serious about wanting a better and more reliable product.

“Sell Ellerslie “ and build a state of the art facility training and racing complex either around Hamilton or Cambridge , I’m aware Massera talks about a complex in Waikato area but synthetic forget it

If your sport sold Ellerslie , what’s it worth $400 ,$500 ,$600 million

Get it out of your head that a synthetic track is your saving grace , i think Geelong and Ballerat are both closing up to many injuries and the upkeep is in the millions per year. 

The two best tracks in the country played pretty well today from what I could see. 

One was hit with continuous Iight/medium rain yet it made no discernible difference. 

Anyone at either venue prepared to comment further, agree or disagree?

Edited by Dark Beau

Had the rain arrived a bit earlier at Ellerslie, it would have been a truer test of the robustness of the track.

They seemed to make ground right across the track, although quite a few leaders went on with it.

The only thing of note, appeared to be the number of favoured horses that ran poorly, with not abnormality found in after race vet checks

Sultan of Swing, Final Suggestion, Demonetisation, Queen of the Air, Tiptronic, Surrey

14 minutes ago, hesi said:

Just an observation

Fair enough. So therefore the observation doesn't suggest anything to take away as having any real impact on the reader - but I don't think that was the intention of the post when you wrote it, even though you said, 'the only thing of note'.

6 hours ago, mardigras said:

Fair enough. So therefore the observation doesn't suggest anything to take away as having any real impact on the reader - but I don't think that was the intention of the post when you wrote it, even though you said, 'the only thing of note'.

Go easy on him Mardi, he’s got Thomass withdrawals.