Bit Of A Yarn

Wingatui?

Well, looking at that Race 8 I doubt that will be the end of racing there today. Pretty shit track, average riders etc. Watched plenty Aus racing lately, hardly ever see a jockey fall. Yet in NZ, hardly a day goes by without someone falling off somewhere….

21 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Well, looking at that Race 8 I doubt that will be the end of racing there today. Pretty shit track, average riders etc. Watched plenty Aus racing lately, hardly ever see a jockey fall. Yet in NZ, hardly a day goes by without someone falling off somewhere….

Clipped heels by the look of it. Thought the track looked good.

7 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Another jockey off race 9???

Just watched that. Its kinda funny,but i suppose we shouldn't laugh. Looked like terry mosely just fell off after the horse jumped out good.

Maybe he forgot to put his foot in the irons on one side?He sat on the side of the stalls long enough before the start and only jumped on just before they started. 

Edited by the galah
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Every time I see pictures of Wingatui on  trackside or photos of horses in the birdcage, always seems their hardly anyone there.

Why aren't you there to tell us ?   Isn't it your neck of the woods ?

Come in Doomed....he will have the info !

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Why aren't you there to tell us ?   Isn't it your neck of the woods ?

Come in Doomed....he will have the info !

You seem fascinated by me TAB. I'm not gay. Not even ambidextrous. 

Mikey does have a good point. I was surprised trackside kept showing video of the totally empty stands. I would have thought they would have instructions to try and show there was someone there somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, curious said:

Clipped heels by the look of it. Thought the track looked good.

BOURBON CHIQUE (J Kamaruddin) - Clipped a heel and blundered badly passing the 500 metres, dislodging the rider,
who was uninjured. After interviewing riders and reviewing replays, it was established BOURBON CHIQUE was
navigating a tight run between runners, lay inwards as the field made the point of the bend, becoming awkwardly
placed and clipping the heels of RU BRADAR, dislodging the rider. Stewards were satisfied no rider was at fault and
took the matter no further. Lost the two front racing plates during the running.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curious said:

Certainly looks like he lost an iron or broke a leather.

BURGIE (T Moseley) - Lost the use of his right iron on jumping, which had come loose after contacting the side of the
barrier, with the rider becoming unbalanced and dislodged shortly after, and as a result hampering LORD DARCI. T
Mosely was examined by St John paramedics and found to be uninjured.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doomed said:

Mikey does have a good point. I was surprised trackside kept showing video of the totally empty stands. I would have thought they would have instructions to try and show there was someone there somewhere.

Maybe they could get cardboard cutouts but Wingatui always looks like a place with very little atmosphere, maybe I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

Maybe they could get cardboard cutouts but Wingatui always looks like a place with very little atmosphere, maybe I'm wrong.

Unfortunately wouldn't be the only venue that looks that way, shame though being a feature meeting,some of the mid week meetings, you'd find more life in a funeral parlour.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2024 at 7:45 PM, Doomed said:

Yes Doomed I an fascinated by your posts as you have the ability to analyse on-course crowds, field size , stakes payment ,betting, programmes , horse ratings etc

Your analysis is deep and thoughtful  with a very strong South Island and small club bias, but then you throw us all out by declaring you have virtually lost interest in racing .Bit like Collins Dictionary losing interest in words !

So when I see a negative thread about Wingatui and its lack of crowd and high stakes etc I know you will be soon talking up the likes of Waikouaiti , Timaru and Reefton.

I assume this must be in your neck of the woods and right up your alley. ! 

Some folks on here talk up the good old days of Southern Racing , and the versatile tracks they have which on a good day provide a better surface to the higher-rated , more favoured ones. My theory is that Wingatui has been rusting away for many decades , along with others like Timaru etc but Otago was well represented at the head table of NZ Racing and held its status earned 140 years ago. Plus the course actually looks OK on TV..a good size in rural setting etc Plus it is the most central course between Southland and Canterbury . Otago used to have a stack of horses ,not now.

They still have the Andertons of course , legendary family of NZ racing and have managed to hold on to some group/Listed races better than many.And cos they have some nice dates their turnover edges ahead of most other Southern clubs.

So Doomed and Wingatui has a ring to it.

Of course Forbury Park , just over the hill has recently rusted away completely and that demise started about 1985. One of two trot tracks in South Island with night lights and often had great crowds and hosted Interdoms.

Dunedin is a University city...it dominates  ...with Scottish Heritage. The people make omelettes without breaking any eggs !They are mean ,they bet little and the students mainly spend on beer.Plus it is bitterly cold in winter so allocation of Winter nights not good.And few horses trained there !

But , somehow Wingatui still gets plenty of dates........but very easy to see why Waikouaiti moved away from New Years Day..twice I went there and it called off cos turns were a skating rink.

In year 2019 [chosen at random] Waikouaiti only had 6 xraces ,46 x horses and did $790k turnover and $385k Export TO Stakes paid were $67k  [maybe a postponment ?] ,while NZTR paid them $119,k.         .In 2019 Wingatui had 13 meetings and did $14mil Turnover and $13 mil Export. Stakes paid $2.03 mill and NZTR paid them $2.654 .

In 2023 season Waikouaiti in February did $1.875 mill t/0 and $1.653m  Export. But youll love the stakes paid.....$294 k

Otago had 11 x meetings for $12.544m TO and $7.987 mil Export . Wingatui also has a Beaumont meeting which I think is a dual code with harness.

So Doomed , keep up the observations...I noted on Saturday at main Melbourne meeting that the Caulfield track looked like a ploughed paddock ,and there was at least 1 x Group 3 with 5 x starters and on TV there was very little in the way of people in camera shot . I thought Doomed will be on to this ! Should be good crowd at Wairarapa tomorrow...their big day !

Bet responsibly !

12 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Yes Doomed I an fascinated by your posts as you have the ability to analyse on-course crowds, field size , stakes payment ,betting, programmes , horse ratings etc

Your analysis is deep and thoughtful  with a very strong South Island and small club bias, but then you throw us all out by declaring you have virtually lost interest in racing .Bit like Collins Dictionary losing interest in words !

So when I see a negative thread about Wingatui and its lack of crowd and high stakes etc I know you will be soon talking up the likes of Waikouaiti , Timaru and Reefton.

I assume this must be in your neck of the woods and right up your alley. ! 

Some folks on here talk up the good old days of Southern Racing , and the versatile tracks they have which on a good day provide a better surface to the higher-rated , more favoured ones. My theory is that Wingatui has been rusting away for many decades , along with others like Timaru etc but Otago was well represented at the head table of NZ Racing and held its status earned 140 years ago. Plus the course actually looks OK on TV..a good size in rural setting etc Plus it is the most central course between Southland and Canterbury . Otago used to have a stack of horses ,not now.

They still have the Andertons of course , legendary family of NZ racing and have managed to hold on to some group/Listed races better than many.And cos they have some nice dates their turnover edges ahead of most other Southern clubs.

So Doomed and Wingatui has a ring to it.

Of course Forbury Park , just over the hill has recently rusted away completely and that demise started about 1985. One of two trot tracks in South Island with night lights and often had great crowds and hosted Interdoms.

Dunedin is a University city...it dominates  ...with Scottish Heritage. The people make omelettes without breaking any eggs !They are mean ,they bet little and the students mainly spend on beer.Plus it is bitterly cold in winter so allocation of Winter nights not good.And few horses trained there !

But , somehow Wingatui still gets plenty of dates........but very easy to see why Waikouaiti moved away from New Years Day..twice I went there and it called off cos turns were a skating rink.

In year 2019 [chosen at random] Waikouaiti only had 6 xraces ,46 x horses and did $790k turnover and $385k Export TO Stakes paid were $67k  [maybe a postponment ?] ,while NZTR paid them $119,k.         .In 2019 Wingatui had 13 meetings and did $14mil Turnover and $13 mil Export. Stakes paid $2.03 mill and NZTR paid them $2.654 .

In 2023 season Waikouaiti in February did $1.875 mill t/0 and $1.653m  Export. But youll love the stakes paid.....$294 k

Otago had 11 x meetings for $12.544m TO and $7.987 mil Export . Wingatui also has a Beaumont meeting which I think is a dual code with harness.

So Doomed , keep up the observations...I noted on Saturday at main Melbourne meeting that the Caulfield track looked like a ploughed paddock ,and there was at least 1 x Group 3 with 5 x starters and on TV there was very little in the way of people in camera shot . I thought Doomed will be on to this ! Should be good crowd at Wairarapa tomorrow...their big day !

Bet responsibly !

There needs to be a snore button especially added for your posts TAB4eva. 

Heard all this voice for the establishment guff before, its always proven wrong again and again and again!

• Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Huey said:

Heard all this voice for the establishment guff before, its always proven wrong again and again and again!

Well Huey ,it is social media and it is Bit of A Yarn !

It's not the lets be cynical , critical and anti-everything column for old stale pale males !

Or is it ?

Again and again ......

What your area of interest in NZ Racing ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Well Huey ,it is social media and it is Bit of A Yarn !

It's not the lets be cynical , critical and anti-everything column for old stale pale males !

Or is it ?

Again and again ......

What your area of interest in NZ Racing ? 

Funnily enough... the horse!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Huey said:

Agree about the snore button. I did doze off. Reminds me of a former poster who had the same sedative effect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2024 at 4:19 AM, Shad said:

Unfortunately wouldn't be the only venue that looks that way, shame though being a feature meeting,some of the mid week meetings, you'd find more life in a funeral parlour.

Alls  not long for Wingatui.

Young farmers comp had 120 spectators filling the grandstand according to the ODT, should add that to the Messara report.

On 2/4/2024 at 4:19 AM, Shad said:

I actually saw cars in the car park and people leaning against the rail at Ascot Park today, bet its not like that next time for Sunday after Easter but if you can't drag a few in for a card like today's you never will.

It does happen, good crowds, Riverton will do same,just not often.

Edited by mikeynz

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

I actually saw cars in the car park and people leaning against the rail at Ascot Park today, bet its not like that next time for Sunday after Easter but if you can't drag a few in for a card like today's you never will.

It does happen, good crowds, Riverton will do same,just not often.

Riverton cup meeting quite an iconic days racing, similar to kumara, have witnessed it first hand  in 2018 I think, had a runner in the  cup and flew down from chch, plane circled for what was an hour, just when I thought we were heading back to dunedin, we got a break in the fog and in we flew, were unplaced in cup, but took the time to checkout the tracks down that way, winton, gore, Wyndham and invercargill, and the race day at riverton, nice area down that way, and great day out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Special Agent said:

Something that locals are aware of in any region, just a bit hard convincing the masses.  Well done Shad for checking some tracks out.

Thanks, certainly did enjoy my time down there, was good that the gates to the tracks were open, did feel a little sad for the likes of Wyndham, winton, which had closed to thoroughbred racing at the time, gore was a nice track, had to check it out as we'd won 3 races there including a gore cup, I have to correct myself as it was 2019, the year little miss swiss won the riverton cup, interesting how she battled around the r65 grade, then all of a sudden won three in a row, and either won or was placed at trentham, she just all of a sudden started winning, anyone know if the Beaumont track still exists, didn't get that far unfortunately.