Bit Of A Yarn

Now i didn't bother having a bet today,but i'm glad i didn't because i thought mounga looked a sitter.

I was surprised it was such a big drifter ,although it still started a warm favorite.

Well anyone who watched that race and backed mounga would have come to one conclusion,the horse was not there to win and they did their money cold.

Watching races like that and you can see why people don't bet on the harness sport as much as the gallops.

Put simply,they try harder in the gallops each time. 

Now if someone was to tell me ,well robbie close was trying,but he just drove it bad.

Well,,sorry i wouldn't believe it,because no one trying is that poor. He chose to be pushed back and sit last on an average speed when others around him move,and then goes to last on the rails at the 400m. No one is that bad a driver.The speed the horse finished at he clearly would have won without getting out of 2nd gear,but he wasn't there to win was he.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Now i didn't bother having a bet today,but i'm glad i didn't because i thought mounga looked a sitter.

I was surprised it was such a big drifter ,although it still started a warm favorite.

Well anyone who watched that race and backed mounga would have come to one conclusion,the horse was not there to win and they did their money cold.

Watching races like that and you can see why people don't bet on the harness sport as much as the gallops.

Now if someone was to tell me ,well robbie close was trying,but he just drove it bad.

Well,,sorry i wouldn't believe it,because no one trying is that poor. He chose to be pushed back and sit last on an average speed when others around him move,and then goes to last on the rails at the 400m. No one is that bad a driver.The speed the horse finished at he clearly would have won without getting out of 2nd gear,but he wasn't there to win was he.

So who benefited?  

1 hour ago, the galah said:

What unfolded there was very disappointing as it was so blatant.

I put my trebles and trifecta's on early. Couldn't see Mo'unga beaten. Was easily the class horse of that field.

45 minutes before the race I got a call from a harness man in North Canterbury known to many. We ended up talking about Westport and Reefton and I spoke of Mo'unga looking a good thing. He said your tickets are worthless. It's "not today" with Mo'unga. I respect him and thought seriously about canceling my bets but decided to let it ride. Fact is I knew the horse was no hope before the race even started. It got the blows big time so others knew all about the "plan" also. This was deliberate. My shock was just how blatant it was. Turned me cold actually. Even with 300 metres to run and ten to twelve lengths off the leaders he still didn't move despite apparently going peaches and cream. Cardigan Bay couldn't win from there and neither could Lord Module. To then rattle home and make up so much ground in the home straight and with still plenty in the tank was an insult to all the mugs that backed him in good faith.  

Fine and dandy to drive like that in an actually non tote trial. Today was not a non tote trial.

If what unfolded there with the best horse in the race is reasonable then our sport has lost it's compass. 

Serious questions need to be asked and answered. No perfunctory explanation accepted.

Yep, I'm dirty. It's not the money for me. It's the blatant dishonestly hidden in clear view. 

Why did Mou'nga not turn up to win today? Longer term racehorse management? Bigger fish to fry in the pipeline?. To punt it when it suits the person making the call? Intentionally use the race as a quiet trial? 

I can't say but my cue goes back in the rack until NZ Cup day. 

https://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gws/ws/r/infohorsews/wsd06x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=9D57B5F3-E22F-41E3-8F01-FD26AD8B7230&Arg=hrnzg-rSite&Arg=TRUE

• Champ Post 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting what you heard pre race walt.

I agree with everything you have said.

There are no winners from the robbie close drive,just losers and in particular  harness racing.

You know i happened to watch the box seat today. I haven't watched it for a while because i'm not a fan of mick guerin.

But on it they went on about providing a "product" that is attractive to the betting public and which encourages punter participation.

Well that all makes sense and is well and good,but the elephant in the room is you occasionally have industry participants who sabotage the industry through a lack of intent.

Case in point-robbie close and mounga.

So no matter what bright ideas people may come up to encourage punter participation,its all a waste of time when the product you are supplying is viewed as dishonest.

20 minutes ago, the galah said:

Interesting what you heard pre race walt.

I agree with everything you have said.

There are no winners from the robbie close drive,just losers and in particular  harness racing.

You know i happened to watch the box seat today. I haven't watched it for a while because i'm not a fan of mick guerin.

But on it they went on about providing a "product" that is attractive to the betting public and which encourages punter participation.

Well that all makes sense and is well and good,but the elephant in the room is you occasionally have industry participants who sabotage the industry through a lack of intent.

Case in point-robbie close and mounga.

So no matter what bright ideas people may come up to encourage punter participation,its all a waste of time when the product you are supplying is viewed as dishonest.

Back in the 80's Galah I was a fairly serious punter but these days not so much. I only had $50 on the trifecta and $50 on the treble. I punt enough to have an authentic interest while respecting my own wagering limits. I've seen enough over the years to know there is a reason it's called gambling :) ...we are not just backing our own judgement on the horses form and abilities and the form of the stable and driver etc etc. We know luck in running is also very important. That aside, it's the results that are decided before the horse even arrives on the track that irk me most. 

I've seen way too many examples of what Mo'unga did today. Never in premier races. There was another that ran at Cambridge last night. Should have won or gone very close but followed driver instructions that effectively negated any winning chance it had before the race even started. Still went out a warm fav. 

I'm becoming disillusioned with a sport I've been passionate about for 50+ years. I never thought I'd ever say that.

Harness Racing is a magnificent sport with a lot of wonderful people involved. I have close and dear friends involved but if you want to turn people cold and have them find their jollies elsewhere, the performance of Mo'unga today is a fast track of achieving that.  I won't be punting at Reefton on Sunday, in fact, today's effort has forced me to stick to the Premier days later in the year. 

It's a sad day when your happy place becomes an unhappy place. Had I driven to Westport today for the trots,  I'd be even dirtier than I am now. 

• Champ Post 1

Money was on for sure, fresh up and off 10m, you wouldn't think they'd be giving it a gut buster, first up, my mate punted it, then got told same story, about only having a run, and yes does leave a sour taste, I would have consoled ya walt had you been on course, my mate has a decent lash, and went home before 9th, got a hiding, only collect he got was from punters club 5 ticket worth at 14 payout,  left it to me to put on watch that man to win, alas a fool an their money are easily parted.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Shad said:

my mate punted it, then got told same story, about only having a run, and yes does leave a sour taste,

So it seems it was common knowledge that the horse was not trying to win before the race.

How dishonest is that stable,knowing it was a warm favorite.

But how about this.

Unbelievably the stipes in charge at that meeting didn't even give it a mention.

So those in the know beforehand knew it wasn't going to try and win,then everyone who watched the race must have concluded it was not trying.......yet the stipes never saw a thing.Astonishing really.

I said many times on here that a significant portion of the cause of operation inca was the result of the stipes turning a blind eye to perceived dishonesty,by not protecting the punters interests,instead being more worried about not wanting to upset industry participants.

Punters taken for mugs and no one in the industry cares.

Edited by the galah

9 hours ago, the galah said:

So it seems it was common knowledge that the horse was not trying to win before the race.

How dishonest is that stable,knowing it was a warm favorite.

But how about this.

Unbelievably the stipes in charge at that meeting didn't even give it a mention.

So those in the know beforehand knew it wasn't going to try and win,then everyone who watched the race must have concluded it was not trying.......yet the stipes never saw a thing.Astonishing really.

I said many times on here that a significant portion of the cause of operation inca was the result of the stipes turning a blind eye to perceived dishonesty,by not protecting the punters interests,instead being more worried about not wanting to upset industry participants.

Punters taken for mugs and no one in the industry cares.

It has so very little to do with me losing a few quid Galah. If my wagers get rolled which they often do, I cop it on the chin. I'm not looking to blame anyone else for my gamble not paying off. What bothers me most here are the wide ranging implications, especially with the fact it was so blatant.

It also amounts to an enormous "fxxk you" to every punter out there that know the horses ability, knew it's trial form, knew it was easily the best horse in the race and sent it out fav in good faith assuming it was there to "race" and obtain the best possible placing. I've been close up many times with horses I knew were given quiet runs because they just aren't ready to rumble. "Quiet" doesn't mean give your horse a 0% chance of winning. It is rather that if the opportunity presents to win without busting a gut it's taken. Sometimes horses can really surprise and make fools of us. Late last year a Canterbury trainer I've had a long standing friendship with told me about their trotter having it's fresh up run. Said the work was not flash in fact it was lethargic at times. It was expected to need one or two runs before putting his hand up. Result was he came out and bolted in surprising everyone. We know they are animals not machines.

Here are some implications regarding the performance of Mo'unga @ Westport yesterday which I describe as blatant and disgraceful. 

1) The fact people involved knew they could do this so blatantly and have no consequence.

2) How many of their other stable runners should be investigated for similar runs?

3) The fact Stewards never even asked questions of the driver is perplexing to say the least. Certain whip actions are deemed unreasonable and unacceptable yet the performance of Mo'unga is acceptable and reasonable.

4) What message does this send that what unfolded with Mo'unga was reasonable / acceptable and wouldn't even be questioned. 

5) What message are you comfortable to send to to harness supporters that recognized Mo'unga was the best horse in the race and wagered on him in good faith?

6) Can harness racing afford to turn at least some of it's supporters cold and destroy confidence?

• Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, Shad said:

Money was on for sure, fresh up and off 10m, you wouldn't think they'd be giving it a gut buster, first up, my mate punted it, then got told same story, about only having a run, and yes does leave a sour taste, I would have consoled ya walt had you been on course, my mate has a decent lash, and went home before 9th, got a hiding, only collect he got was from punters club 5 ticket worth at 14 payout,  left it to me to put on watch that man to win, alas a fool an their money are easily parted.

Hey Shad,

Not giving him a gut buster first up made perfect sense and was expected by many. What unfolded yesterday was in my opinion blatant and at a different level than just a quiet run. 

Thought of you when I saw an avalanche of dosh coming for Sods Law. Never looked like being beaten. Hope you were smiling my friend :) 

No doubt will be hot fav tomorrow. Follow others that settled back and had no show on turn. Below is one just given a run yesterday…

Raging Whitebait… No luck last 2 starts, better draw and if put in race will go close. 

18 hours ago, the galah said:

Well,,sorry i wouldn't believe it,because no one trying is that poor.

Mate. Robbie Close drives a lot of races . he should know what he's doing.

No good going to 'Better off at the gallops for people' as Many many races the Jockeys sit back last and run on too late into 4th or 5th position. Happens Nearly Every 2nd race . Common as Chips. So Robbie driving like a jockey in that 😎

Possibly to keep horse for Sunday , with out flattening it .. who knows. first 2 horses went real well in this race (Tempo and Helium ) good on em ' . I think both beat Mounga tomorrow too 😆😂

13 hours ago, the galah said:

But how about this.

If they question everyone who sits back and runs on late , they'll have a NEVER ending queue at the stipes door in NZ racing lol 😁  

Now why Not question the JUNIOR driver on the DUNN horse in that race ??RHarrison.. you didn't mention that poor drive?. Lost near 100m at the start refusing to pace. Circled to the death to give Stablemate some cover. Goooonnneee at the quarter pole . Dashing Major absolutely Crucified in that race ?? he'll be flat as piss tomorrow .Sarah O'reilly engaged for it this time with Harrison flicked off lol.. . Mo'unga will beat him home ok ????😅🤣                  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Mate. Robbie Close drives a lot of races . he should know what he's doing.

No good going to 'Better off at the gallops for people' as Many many races the Jockeys sit back last and run on too late into 4th or 5th position. Happens Nearly Every 2nd race . Common as Chips. So Robbie driving like a jockey in that 😎

Possibly to keep horse for Sunday , with out flattening it .. who knows. first 2 horses went real well in this race (Tempo and Helium ) good on em ' . I think both beat Mounga tomorrow too 😆😂

If they question everyone who sits back and runs on late , they'll have a NEVER ending queue at the stipes door in NZ racing lol 😁  

Now why Not question the JUNIOR driver on the DUNN horse in that race ??RHarrison.. you didn't mention that poor drive?. Lost near 100m at the start refusing to pace. Circled to the death to give Stablemate some cover. Goooonnneee at the quarter pole . Dashing Major absolutely Crucified in that race ?? he'll be flat as piss tomorrow .Sarah O'reilly engaged for it this time with Harrison flicked off lol.. . Mo'unga will beat him home ok ????😅🤣                  

I'm not sure whether your being serious when you say that gammalite?

I can't see how anyone could watch that race and come to the conclusions you seem to have,but if your not just being the devils advocate then ,well your entitled to your opinion. 

As to your comment about having a never ending que if they question every driver that sits back.

You appear to be saying that form,favoritism,horses abilty,tactics used and how they actually run on the day are irrelevant. Treat everyone the same you suggest as if they are all warm favorites.If your going to question the driver of a 2/1 shot then you should do the same with a 50/1 shot. 

Thats just ridiculous to suggest that.You should know that.

As to you suggesting riley harrison should have been questioned because she over drove her horse.

Thats just ridiculous as well.

Sure she over drove the horse,but she was trying. Why would you want the stipes to take action that gives the perception that drivers should not try.The stipes should never ever pursue actions that create a non trying mindset from drivers.She broke and lost ground at the start but tacked on to the back of the field after 600m then made a mid race mover when the pace wasn't strong. Why would the stipes question that?The drive from harrison would be discussed with her by the dunns. Thats the way it should be.

Finally i do agree with one thing "you said robbie close drives a lot of races,he should no what hes doing."

Yes he does know what hes doing.Thats what makes the drive even worse.

Edited by the galah

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Walt said:

Here are some implications regarding the performance of Mo'unga @ Westport yesterday which I describe as blatant and disgraceful. 

1) The fact people involved knew they could do this so blatantly and have no consequence.

2) How many of their other stable runners should be investigated for similar runs?

3) The fact Stewards never even asked questions of the driver is perplexing to say the least. Certain whip actions are deemed unreasonable and unacceptable yet the performance of Mo'unga is acceptable and reasonable.

4) What message does this send that what unfolded with Mo'unga was reasonable / acceptable and wouldn't even be questioned. 

5) What message are you comfortable to send to to harness supporters that recognized Mo'unga was the best horse in the race and wagered on him in good faith?

6) Can harness racing afford to turn at least some of it's supporters cold and destroy confidence?

My comments on your observations.

1)look at who owns mounga. Some of the most high profile owners and administrators in nz.    I would suggest they would be most unhappy to see their horse/trainer/driver drawing such negative attention. However did that provide some type of .. lets not go there...in the aftermath of that race?Also the horse was a significant drifter on the ff.

2)fully agree. Once people have formed a perception about something,it sticks in their mind and rightly or wrongly they view everything through that lens of perception.

3)when it comes to these type of things,its often who the head stipe on the day that equates to action taken. There only appears to be one stipe who will consistently place importance on maintaing punters confidence, by questioning perceived dodgy driving. Just look at who gets charged with these type of offences and who officiates on the day.Theres a definite pattern. 

4)thats why we had operation inca.Ironically our leading driver somehow got tied up with that,yet he is the one that has always done the most for maintaining punters confidence in the integrity of the sport. Life isn't always fair i suppose.  But the point being when you have one dodgy driver it creates a wider perception that draws others in who may not  deserve it. 

5)punters are irrelavnt. Thats the message the punters received yesterday. 

6)no,but many within harness focus on whats best for them. As to yesterday,punters aren't asking for much from trainers/drivers. Just go out there and try to do the best you can.Why is that unreasonable?

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

50 minutes ago, the galah said:

My comments on your observations.

1)look at who owns mounga. Some of the most high profile owners and administrators in nz.    I would suggest they would be most unhappy to see their horse/trainer/driver drawing such negative attention. However did that provide some type of .. lets not go there...in the aftermath of that race?Also the horse was a significant drifter on the ff.

2)fully agree. Once people have formed a perception about something,it sticks in their mind and rightly or wrongly they view everything through that lens of perception.

3)when it comes to these type of things,its often who the head stipe on the day that equates to action taken. There only appears to be one stipe who will consistently place importance on maintaing punters confidence, by questioning perceived dodgy driving. Just look at who gets charged with these type of offences and who officiates on the day.Theres a definite pattern. 

4)thats why we had operation inca.Ironically our leading driver somehow got tied up with that,yet he is the one that has always done the most for maintaining punters confidence in the integrity of the sport. Life isn't always fair i suppose.  But the point being when you have one dodgy driver it creates a wider perception that draws others in who may not  deserve it. 

5)punters are irrelavnt. Thats the message the punters received yesterday. 

6)no,but many within harness focus on whats best for them. As to yesterday,punters aren't asking for much from trainers/drivers. Just go out there and try to do the best you can.Why is that unreasonable?

I can't find a valid reason to disagree with anything you've said Galah.

I've always felt punters are often seen as a fickle lot and their frustration is quickly forgotten when they win a few quid off the same horse soon after. 

Will be very interesting to see how Mo'unga is driven in future, especially when the race has been targeted. I'll wager dollars to donuts Robbie won't be sitting as quiet as a church mouse in dead last position with 300 metres to run around 10 to 12 lengths off the leaders. .....especially if he's going as well as he was yesterday. Had he just run on fairly in the straight making up a few lengths punters would have just accepted what unfolded as "racing". That was most definitely not the case. We agree he's the best horse in that race and that he was going very nicely at the 300 in last placing with no realistic hope of winning. When he was finally asked to race he made up many lengths and finished full of running. That's the epitome of adding insult to injury. Another aspect that's "potentially"  worse is the knowledge that at least some had prior to the horse even stepping onto the track that it was "Not tonight Josephine" for Mo'unga. 

How he goes tomorrow will be interesting but in truth, win or lose it won't make what unfolded yesterday any worse or any better. 

As others have pointed out there were numerous runners yesterday that weren't asked for an authentic effort until the race was virtually over. It "could" be a very enlightening watch to look at all the winners and runners up at Reefton tomorrow and then go back and compare how those horses were driven at Westport yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Thats just ridiculous to suggest that.You should know that.

As to you suggesting riley harrison should have been questioned because she over drove her horse.

Thats just ridiculous as well.

Well you can say I'm ridiculous all you like. 

I'm saying that Harrison gave the horse No chance of winning by burning it up mid-race after Missing the start by near 100m. DASHING MAJOR is the best horse in the field as it had the longest Handicap. Harrison drove it like that.. to aid the well tried stablemate Jimmy Arma . Probably a pre-race plan as Dunn's do often on these West coast races. Alas after missing the start it was Suicidal driving. (for Dashing Major supporters)  a very poor drive it was..

Harrison 'removed' and put on the Number 1 horse tomorrow. Any odds on it causing a bit of drama at the start ? lol.  handicap racing at it's best lol. 

You Mounga supporters are crying over spilt milk because a horse runs on from the back late on . A VERY COMMON occurance in a LOT of races . it's not rediculous to say that . so don't be reidiculous

Even on this thread Chief , Newmarket and others have mentioned horses are sometimes driven quietly in these 3 day in-between race days you have there, on the first day . quite normal really.  

You know this , and yet are surprised when you see it ???

ANSWER: Don't have race-days so close togeather and cut the field size to 10 . solved for you !! 

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

How he goes tomorrow will be interesting but in truth, win or lose it won't make what unfolded yesterday any worse or any better. 

Thats exactly how i see it as well walt. 

mounga had 3 trials and workouts prior to yesterday and there was no doubt that the win was there for the taking had they wanted it yesterday.

Personally the todd stable is not one i ever invest on much.Thats just my choice.

I've previously commented in my opinion theres an inconsistency to their form.

My thoughts are they run their best races early in each preparation and don't hold their form for that long if given consistent racing. They tend to be lightly raced  and my guess would be they are always well prepared and have had plenty of work to race well when lining up fresh.

Todd is a very successful trainer.

I have always thought R Close is an extremely talented driver and like todd,a likeable bloke. But when it comes to betting on him,i never quite know what to expect from him..

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Well you can say I'm ridiculous all you like. 

I'm saying that Harrison gave the horse No chance of winning by burning it up mid-race after Missing the start by near 100m. DASHING MAJOR is the best horse in the field as it had the longest Handicap. Harrison drove it like that.. to aid the well tried stablemate Jimmy Arma . Probably a pre-race plan as Dunn's do often on these West coast races. Alas after missing the start it was Suicidal driving. (for Dashing Major supporters)  a very poor drive it was..

Harrison 'removed' and put on the Number 1 horse tomorrow. Any odds on it causing a bit of drama at the start ? lol.  handicap racing at it's best lol. 

You Mounga supporters are crying over spilt milk because a horse runs on from the back late on . A VERY COMMON occurance in a LOT of races . it's not rediculous to say that . so don't be reidiculous

Even on this thread Chief , Newmarket and others have mentioned horses are sometimes driven quietly in these 3 day in-between race days you have there, on the first day . quite normal really.  

You know this , and yet are surprised when you see it ???

ANSWER: Don't have race-days so close togeather and cut the field size to 10 . solved for you !! 

I never said you were ridiculous. I said the scenario's you put forward were ridiculous . In my mind theres a difference,so thats what i meant.

Personally i don't think R harrison would have given a 2nd thought to jimmy arma when driving dashing major. She can't really have known it would end up parked. Shes not a driver that i have seen team drive before,but maybe you are right.

Harrison was most likely always going to have driven the number 1 horse tomorrow as she normally drives it.

As to mounga. I read on the other forum that someone by the name" pure steel" commented this week about an aussie race. He said.."my reasoning is they will win from any draw if driven with a will to win and put in the race". I have always thought that man knows what hes talking about..lol.

Edited by the galah
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, the galah said:

I never said you were ridiculous. I said the scenario's you put forward were ridiculous . In my mind theres a difference,so thats what i meant.

Personally i don't think R harrison would have given a 2nd thought to jimmy arma when driving dashing major. She can't really have known it would end up parked. Shes not a driver that i have seen team drive before,but maybe you are right.

Harrison was most likely always going to have driven the number 1 horse tomorrow as she normally drives it.

As to mounga. I read on the other forum that someone by the name" pure steel" commented this week about an aussie race. He said.."my reasoning is they will win from any draw if driven with a will to win and put in the race". I have always thought that man knows what hes talking about..lol.

touche' !!

too good for me my friend. Will be a good race tomorrow with the first day quinella horses and your good mate Mounga All off the 10m in Race 10 at Reefton.

So who will get on their bike first and get the money?  Mounga, Helium or Tempo Warrior. 

I like how the Miracle Mile tonight holds the capacity at 8 runners . Gives them ALL a chance that way so not a bad idea... i think all the mile racing here should be 8 starters all the time.

p.s I quite like the small Auckland fields as easier to pick and bet on . 5 winners last night. and didn't pick a winner at Westport.. (just Muscle Bank only) it's just too hard IMO,  so am not very close to betting on those. Horses for courses I guess.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Walt said:

Hey Shad,

Not giving him a gut buster first up made perfect sense and was expected by many. What unfolded yesterday was in my opinion blatant and at a different level than just a quiet run. 

Thought of you when I saw an avalanche of dosh coming for Sods Law. Never looked like being beaten. Hope you were smiling my friend :) 

Unfortunately I didn't take sods law, I thought he was a sitter if he went away, but thought the 5s at the time would drop to 3s, was very surprised he actually paid 5s, great money on his credentials, backed the first race winner, thought he was a tad short, and the second horse in the last very good run, an nice div, nothing in between, but good day out and ended up on the positive side, so that's a successful day for me, duty calls tomorrow but will back up on the same suspects via the tab, nothing worse when ya drop them and they win.

• Like 1

With 20 minutes until Mo'unga races at Reefton, I thought I'd check the betting on him. The money just keeps on coming. The complete opposite to Friday. ...interesting 

Will he be put in the race today? The betting says a resounding ...yes

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Walt said:

With 20 minutes until Mo'unga races at Reefton, I thought I'd check the betting on him. The money just keeps on coming. The complete opposite to Friday. ...interesting 

Turns out no.

To be honest that didn't surprise me as you had to ask yourswelf ,what the trainer/driver would be thinking pre race.

Do they come out and drive it in a way that is the opposite of what it was driven at westport,then people would have said,there i told you so. And if they were happy to just run on at westport,why would it be any different today for thw same stake.

The money i thought came because everyone saw how he came home so fast at Westport,so he had to be favorite on that,despite there being  obvious ? over todays tactics.

He went another very good race. Not as obvious today that he may not have wanted to win. But certainly driven again today in a manner which gave himself no chance whatsoever in winning.The horse did very well to run 3rd after leaving its run so late.

If you look at its record. Its 4 wins have all been when taken to the front,so clearly its a good frontrunner.

I've always thought its the type of horse they would be aiming at the country cup series with the $100,000 final. They would want to get in off the front so wouldn't want to get too many points beofre hand,but still have to earn enough to get a start. So the way to do that would be the run a couple of places then get a win in the qualifying races.maybe win the cheviot cup or something like that with a bigger stake than today.

Now i have no idea whether thats how they think and i'm clearly guessing.

However psychoanalysing a trainers thoughts before placing a bet complicates things a bit..

Edited by the galah

On 3/9/2024 at 10:43 AM, the galah said:

Why would you want the stipes to take action that gives the perception that drivers should not try.The stipes should never ever pursue actions that create a non trying mindset from drivers.

Are you suggesting that Robbie Close should be grilled by the Stewards from Westport ? for not trying ? and Sarah can drive EXACTLY the same ? and nothing be asked....

Did you watch Sarah O'Reilly at Reefton Today in the same class horse race?  She was driving the BEST horse, (the Backmarker horse in DASHING MAJOR  storming home from last at the quarter , EXACTLY like Mounga on the first day weaving through field . for a solid 4th .

So should Sarah receive the same Criticism from you and Walt ? and be grilled by the stewards too. ?  

Was exactly the same thing  . (I think the first day drive on Dashing Major was poor just IMO ) today much better drive with Sarah on , and the horse performed much better accordingly. (not having to look after Jimmy Arma this time round)  and finishing off strongly. 

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Maybe he's a bit over rated, no easy races to win on both those courses, they went hard up front which made it tougher, a few worked around the field in other races, but to there peril, certainly be some sore punters, none more than me, sods law again showed he loves  reefton, very good price to, but had let him go a while back, and stuck to my Westport bets, no joy for me across the board today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shad said:

Maybe he's a bit over rated, no easy races to win on both those courses, they went hard up front which made it tougher, a few worked around the field in other races, but to there peril, certainly be some sore punters, none more than me, sods law again showed he loves  reefton, very good price to, but had let him go a while back, and stuck to my Westport bets, no joy for me across the board today.

Great price for Sods Law today Shad.

Several of the winners were not hard to find based on first day form.

Not sure Mo'unga is overrated. Very few can come from that far back at Reefton. John Dunn most have been giggling all through the race.

I predict Mo'unga win next time, especially if its at headquarters and the race has been targeted.  

One pattern that was hard to miss at the meeting was how well runners that lead or trailed did. Positive drives = positive results............................