Bit Of A Yarn

On 25/03/2024 at 1:51 PM, the galah said:

So its clear that the best partner for nz harness as far as increasing our pool size would have been TABCORP NSW.Especially since they control the sky racing coverage.But thats water under the bridge now i suppose.

Clear to everyone except the useless mob at the TAB. It was a no brainer that TABCORP would have been the best pic.

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Clear to everyone except the useless mob at the TAB. It was a no brainer that TABCORP would have been the best pic.

If they based the decision solely on  the pools that TABCORP sometimes has on nz harness,then your right its a no brainer that TABCORP was the better choice.

Heres todays WIN POOLS for the first 5 races at manawatu.TABCORP in brackets.

race 1.nz tab $7513,(TABCORP)$10,750.  race 2. 5144, (3943)   race 3. 6898, (5815)

race 4. 4999, (3627)  race 5. 5522, (3101).

Then some other TABCORP pools from todays manawatu harness.

race 1.trifecta $3791,exacta$5257,quinella $1760,first 4 $1128.

race 2. trifecta $2113,first 4 $2173

race 3. trifecta $2334,first 4 $9173(included 1900 carry forward),exacta $2051

race 4.Trifecta $1850, first 4 $1531,exacta $1301.

One of the biggest problems nz harness has, is the small pools sizes,which don't encourage betting.

Also remember the nz pools listed above would have included ENTAIN and their australian partners comingled money,which obviously is nowhere near what TABCORP can achieve on their own.

Now the TABCORP pools can vary a bit,but seem consistent around the twighlight meetings run on weekdays on nz harness.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 10/03/2024 at 4:24 PM, the galah said:

If you look at its record. Its 4 wins have all been when taken to the front,so clearly its a good frontrunner.

will be aiming at the country cups final.Maybe win the cheviot cup or something like that with a bigger stake than today.

Good old Mounga.

Wins the cheviot cup as predicted.

Still needs one more start to qualify for the country cups final i see. Probably next week at methven i suppose,then into the final.

I see those races over on the coast weren't part of the country cups series,so i guess that was another reason they  wouldn't have been on his radar to win.

They certainly peaking at the right time i suppose. Obviously the todd stable has had a cunning plan all along.

Only hitch was how badly some punters perceived their tactics on the coast.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Good old Mounga.

Still needs one more start to qualify for the country cups final i see. Probably next week at methven i suppose,then into the final.

I see those races over on the coast weren't part of the country cups series,so i guess that was another reason they  wouldn't have been on his radar to win.

They certainly peaking at the right time i suppose. Obviously the todd stable has had a cunning plan all along.

He didn't just beat them Galah. He was a class above and brained them. He proved what we said all along that he was the best horse in the Coast races. I think even folk that walk with a white cane could easily spot the difference in how he's been driven in the races not targeted and then the ones they wanted. 

Best be careful in what we say as we'll be accused of just having a moan. The day we watch the Coast races unfold and say nothing and just accept it is the same day we've allowed the bar of authenticity to be set so low that we deserve whatever follows. 

• Champ Post 1

In all reality if Audacity didnt run in and break  like he did just after the start, Mounga would not have won!

Audacity is a very serious racehorse and the way he went after  his gallop was phenomenal!

He wouldve bolted in!

11 minutes ago, Brodie said:

In all reality if Audacity didnt run in and break  like he did just after the start, Mounga would not have won!

Audacity is a very serious racehorse and the way he went after  his gallop was phenomenal!

He wouldve bolted in!

He is Brodie...would love a share in him. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Brodie said:

He wouldve bolted in!

Audacity is a talented horse,no question there,but he was never going to beat mounga today.

Audacity has broken just after the start in his last 4 races,and inexperienced ,nervous starters like him who have horses on a handicap rushing up to them as they try and find their gait early,well it was always a safe bet he would gallop.And so he did.

His only problem going forward is,like with any horse, chasing the field can be hard on both body and mind,so lets hope he can race in the right races to get his starting confidence back.

Edited by the galah

4 minutes ago, the galah said:

Audacity is a talented horse,no question there,but he was never going to beat mounga today.

Audacity has broken just after the start in his last 4 races,and inexperienced ,nervous starters like him who have horses on a handicap rushing up to them as they try and find their gait early,well it was always a safe bet he would gallop.And so he did.

His only problem going forward is,like with any horse, chasing the field can be hard on both body and mind,so lets hope he can race in the right races to get his starting confidence back.

He actually began but then put in an odd stride and broke.

if he didnt gallop he woulve been in front or trailed !

From there he would not have been beaten, going by the amount of ground he made up!

we can agree to disagree, thats all good, but he is inexperienced and he is very smart!

Edited by Brodie

Just now, Brodie said:

He actually began but then put in an odd stride and broke.

Yes,thats what hes done in his last 4 starts,so there was a pattern there. Easy to be clever afterwards ,but just saying.

I never had a bet myself as i thought mounga would win but don't bet on races with him in after the coast as prefer something else to win myself.

10 minutes ago, the galah said:

Yes,thats what hes done in his last 4 starts,so there was a pattern there. Easy to be clever afterwards ,but just saying.

I never had a bet myself as i thought mounga would win but don't bet on races with him in after the coast as prefer something else to win myself.

I dont bet into those type of races Galah!

Think the difference today between the two was probably the drivers !

All you can do is win so kudos to Mounga today, but on todays performances Audacity is every bit as good as Mounga apart from the manners!

On 7/04/2024 at 8:56 PM, Walt said:

He is Brodie...would love a share in him. 

Batten down the hatches walt, look like rough weather heading your way, hopefully you guys get through unscathed.

On 7/04/2024 at 8:41 PM, Brodie said:

He wouldve bolted in!

Good horse but the manners and driver put me right off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Batten down the hatches walt, look like rough weather heading your way, hopefully you guys get through unscathed.

Thanks Shad. It's been a wild weather day for sure. We are up on the ridge along Britannia Heights so are fairly exposed. The rain was heavy but it's been the wind that got our attention. For a couple of hours earlier tonight the house was battered and shook at times. Has calmed down but may get more of the same tomorrow. The Coasters look to have been hit with very heavy rain again so fingers crossed they all come through it ok. 

21 minutes ago, Walt said:

Thanks Shad. It's been a wild weather day for sure. We are up on the ridge along Britannia Heights so are fairly exposed. The rain was heavy but it's been the wind that got our attention. For a couple of hours earlier tonight the house was battered and shook at times. Has calmed down but may get more of the same tomorrow. The Coasters look to have been hit with very heavy rain again so fingers crossed they all come through it ok. 

Hang in there Walt,, bloody scary those high winds, coast copped more down around haast and Franz, further up hasn't been that bad, but they usually cope with the big numbers ok, the mighty buller river only running at 3.9cumecs first alarm is at 8s I think,nothing like the big flood years back when peaked at 12m and change, hopefully eases up your way tomorrow, certainly don't want to much of his weather.

• Champ Post 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/04/2024 at 4:57 PM, the galah said:

Good old Mounga.

Turned out to be a cunning plan that fell off the rails at the end.

In the write up of last weeks win they stated he was intending to start this week at methven to meet the qualifying requirements to start in the $110,000 country cups final.

yes he was nominated for Methven,but for whatever reason has now been withdrawn.So he ends up having started in 2 qualifying races,when he needed to have started in 3.

Bit of a shame in one way,as he must have been hard to beat and would have started close to favorite..

Edited by the galah

18 hours ago, Shad said:

Hang in there Walt,, bloody scary those high winds, coast copped more down around haast and Franz, further up hasn't been that bad, but they usually cope with the big numbers ok, the mighty buller river only running at 3.9cumecs first alarm is at 8s I think,nothing like the big flood years back when peaked at 12m and change, hopefully eases up your way tomorrow, certainly don't want to much of his weather.

Cheers bro,

Spent the morning clearing up fallen trees etc on our property. We had some minor flooding but dodged a bullet there. After the almost biblical flooding of August 2022 we pay close attention when the weather turns to custard.

When you're next in Nelson around Rocks Road look up along the ridgeline of Princes Drive. You'll see an area the length of several football fields that suffered badly back in the September weather event. It sticks out like the proverbial. We are right on the edge of that. House next door lost their deck so wind and rain goes onto the radar pretty quickly :) 

26 minutes ago, Walt said:

Cheers bro,

Spent the morning clearing up fallen trees etc on our property. We had some minor flooding but dodged a bullet there. After the almost biblical flooding of August 2022 we pay close attention when the weather turns to custard.

When you're next in Nelson around Rocks Road look up along the ridgeline of Princes Drive. You'll see an area the length of several football fields that suffered badly back in the September weather event. It sticks out like the proverbial. We are right on the edge of that. House next door lost their deck so wind and rain goes onto the radar pretty quickly :) 

Yes never anywhere as safe as houses so to speak, on the flat flooding on the hills landslides one can never win, the insurance just bumps up another few click every year, no matter if you claim of not, glad things ok, and hope rains have eased, keep me eyes peeled next time I'm there, not very often I must say, will check the big races tonight some nice fields an some not do nice draws for some, interesting reading about mounga, not racing at methven, as we know horses can be a challenge, but hopefully there just giving him a wee let up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Yes never anywhere as safe as houses so to speak, on the flat flooding on the hills landslides one can never win, the insurance just bumps up another few click every year, no matter if you claim of not, glad things ok, and hope rains have eased, keep me eyes peeled next time I'm there, not very often I must say, will check the big races tonight some nice fields an some not do nice draws for some, interesting reading about mounga, not racing at methven, as we know horses can be a challenge, but hopefully there just giving him a wee let up.

The insurance is painful for sure but understandable. We were going to build on the new plots at Bayview @ Atawhai. Magnificent views but insurance a big issue. 

Send me a message when you're in Nelson Shad and we'll tee up a coffee or a cold one

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Walt said:

The insurance is painful for sure but understandable. We were going to build on the new plots at Bayview @ Atawhai. Magnificent views but insurance a big issue. 

Send me a message when you're in Nelson Shad and we'll tee up a coffee or a cold one

Everything on the rise, well just about everything, insurance council rates, regional rates, power mine just gone up 27$ per month, but one must battle on regardless, thanks for your kind offer, will get there at some stage, don't leave home very often these days.

4 hours ago, Shad said:

Everything on the rise, well just about everything, insurance council rates, regional rates, power mine just gone up 27$ per month, but one must battle on regardless, thanks for your kind offer, will get there at some stage, don't leave home very often these days.

Fair enough Shad and you're right.

Always enough your input here mate

• Champ Post 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 11/04/2024 at 10:06 PM, the galah said:

Turned out to be a cunning plan that fell off the rails at the end.

In the write up of last weeks win they stated he was intending to start this week at methven to meet the qualifying requirements to start in the $110,000 country cups final.

yes he was nominated for Methven,but for whatever reason has now been withdrawn.So he ends up having started in 2 qualifying races,when he needed to have started in 3.

Bit of a shame in one way,as he must have been hard to beat and would have started close to favorite..

Turns out there is one more race in that series,so by starting tomorrow he can qualify. Cunning plan back on it seems. They may drive it a bit quieter tomorrow as they may not want to get another handicap penalty if it won. Who knows.

Edited by the galah

14 hours ago, the galah said:

Turns out there is one more race in that series,so by starting tomorrow he can qualify. Cunning plan back on it seems. They may drive it a bit quieter tomorrow as they may not want to get another handicap penalty if it won. Who knows.

I read on the points table said horse is ineligible, don't know if that's true.

49 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I read on the points table said horse is ineligible, don't know if that's true.

I think they become elegible when they have started in three of those races. Today will be his third. I had thought those qualifying races had ended a couple of weeks ago. I'd looked at the hrnz website and it never had this weeks on,but maybe that was a list of all the completed qualifying races.I found it confusing.

15 minutes ago, the galah said:

I think they become elegible when they have started in three of those races. Today will be his third. I had thought those qualifying races had ended a couple of weeks ago. I'd looked at the hrnz website and it never had this weeks on,but maybe that was a list of all the completed qualifying races.I found it confusing.

OK, so many qualifying races with different points, why not just run certain number of qualifiers with winners automatic entry, at least in those races they would be trying.