Bit Of A Yarn

No More Pick Six or Place six

This year is going to be a big one for us here at the TAB.  As we prepare to provide our customers with some of the new things they’ve been asking for, we’ve also had to look at some of the products we currently offer TAB customers.

As part of this Pick6 and Place6 bet types will no longer be offered from today, Wednesday 13 March.

Another section of punters lost forever by the out of touch TAB 💩

• Champ Post 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

This year is going to be a big one for us here at the TAB.  As we prepare to provide our customers with some of the new things they’ve been asking for, we’ve also had to look at some of the products we currently offer TAB customers.

As part of this Pick6 and Place6 bet types will no longer be offered from today, Wednesday 13 March.

I remember years ago the TAB wanted to shitcan the Pick 6. The justification given was there was only so much $$ in punters pockets and the Pick 6 tied that $$ up for too long and was not being turned over. At least some punters protested and later that there was a change of heart and the Pick 6 remained.

I suspect this has been revisited by the TAB and for the same reason.

Were TAB customers asked how they feel about these wagering options being removed? 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Walt said:

I remember years ago the TAB wanted to shitcan the Pick 6. The justification given was there was only so much $$ in punters pockets and the Pick 6 tied that $$ up for too long and was not being turned over. At least some punters protested and later that there was a change of heart and the Pick 6 remained.

Were TAB customers asked how they feel about these wagering options being removed? 

Agreed , ties up the money for too long. We want quick fire turnover ,plenty of churn.

Not a marathon 3 - 4 hour slow burn.

We want losers to go  ahead to recoup losses and the winners to go for gold. Actually surprised there not more shorter races ,as a trial at least , in harness.

Plus I guess those Pick 6 marathons are slow sellers. The good old days they could put up a guarantee of $100k or more in Pick 6.. Its retail so no point stocking shelves with slow movers !

Some folk will love em ,like people used to love on-course doubles ! Even recently you could fluke some outsize divis cos in small pool some combinations not covered much !

4 hours ago, Nowornever said:

The question is what are the new things coming ?

5 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Agreed , ties up the money for too long. We want quick fire turnover ,plenty of churn.

Not a marathon 3 - 4 hour slow burn.

We want losers to go  ahead to recoup losses and the winners to go for gold. Actually surprised there not more shorter races ,as a trial at least , in harness.

Plus I guess those Pick 6 marathons are slow sellers. The good old days they could put up a guarantee of $100k or more in Pick 6.. Its retail so no point stocking shelves with slow movers !

Some folk will love em ,like people used to love on-course doubles ! Even recently you could fluke some outsize divis cos in small pool some combinations not covered much !

From a business perspective, yes it will tie up punters money for longer but business models are based on finding the right balance that works for the business and the paying customer.....not just what's expedient for the business.

When you approach a business with "we want" we want" "we want", you're missing a critical aspect of the equation. 

When it comes to customers, what percentage turn a profit with their betting year in year out? We know the percentage is small. but If we just focused on the results of $5 & $20 individual wager customers with a $50 to $100 a weekly budget, it would be safe to assume only a tiny fraction actually win year after year. That is despite Trackside Presenters advising punters to get their "investments" on. If they really are investments, they would be right down there with outcomes alongside one armed bandit players "investing" another $100

With that in mind, what is the appeal for customers with bets like Pick ? It provides an opportunity to use your skill and judgement in finding multiple winners and collect a meaningful amount of dosh that potentially makes the difference between a punter winning or losing for the year. It's a product that can compete with Lotto but rely on skill. Take that product away and you remove an important opportunity for what your customers "want".

Go back and look at how the TAB promoted the Pick Six in the past. It was an exciting product that provided customers the opportunity to win decent money for a relatively small outlay. Now look at the way you've just described that same product. A three to four hour marathon. You make it sound as boring as three to four hours of Craig Thompson ......or The Magic Man, The Iceman, The Wizard, The Chief etc.

We know politicians will make statistics suit whatever their agenda is. You've just done the equivalent for the TAB. 

Have you also noticed how Politicians often see the way forward is to remove than add? 

Using the same justification, can we look forward to all exotic bets over multiple races being shitcanned by the TAB?

I've been a TAB customer for decades but do they give a flying toss about what I want? 

I dislike Greyhound racing but will happily watch the main feature events if I'm looking at the idiot box at the time. No others. I hate how our screens are inundated with Greyhound racing to suit the TAB agenda of quantity over quality. I hate how significant moments in the two main codes are routinely flushed and lost via the quest to get over to Wollomollabongo again to endure watching multiple morbidly obese greyhound handlers waddle over to the boxes stopping only when the dog takes a dump and the sandcastle man with his bucket and spade scoops it up. Riveting stuff!. Race is over in 25 seconds, paid out quickly so the compulsive gamblers are fed and we can quickly then cross over to Dillawalladingabongobong for their next race. Do TAB customers want that? I sure as fxxk don't but when was the last time the TAB put any priority on what their customers want? We should have a Trackside channel for greyhounds only that does not negatively impact on the coverage of the other codes as it has been doing so for years.

24 NZ greyhound races covered by Trackside today along with 148 from Australia. Even that obscene amount is not enough. They are now having greyhound racing on from other countries ffs. How exciting as I look for the turd emoji 

For many years I was passionate about Jumps racing but a jumps race takes several minutes and steeplechases in the winter can take five to eight minutes. Imagine how many greyhound races you could fit in during that eight minutes. Jumps racing in NZ is dying and has been for several years. The fields get smaller and smaller and now even the famed Ellerslie hill is gone. The TAB will be very comfortable with the demise as they only ever paid lip service to what was an inconvenience to them. Many consider jumps racing a much needed winter highlight while others just see them as "marathon" that takes up far too much time. 

In my opinion, the TAB have again displayed arrogance for their customer base by shitcanning the "marathon" wagers of Pick 6 and Place 6.

If they were genuine about retaining their existing customers and even encouraging new ones they would do two things.

1) Find out what their customers want and don't want.

2) Without further delay, fix that festering turd of a betting platform so TAB customers can have confidence. 

Time for a coffee :) 

• Champ Post 4

9 hours ago, mikeynz said:

The question is what are the new things coming ?

All Punters being treated equally allowed to take up the fixed odds offered and for a reasonable amount!

They are Bookies after all  arent they, and if they arent prepared to take the good with the bad, when they have the monopoly in NZ, then get  out of the business!

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

All Punters being treated equally allowed to take up the fixed odds offered and for a reasonable amount!

And you think they will ?

It makes no sense to me canning a betting option as everybody's different  pick 6 is just a extension of the quaddie, why they didn't have or don't have something unique on feature days is beyond me, don't have to be 1 meeting, they seemed to run pick 6 on greyhounds a lot ,and Friday harness but it never built up as it was terminating always.

15 hours ago, Walt said:

I always argued that pick six was good for turnover. It may well have tied up money for the duration of its running, but what they neglected was the fact, punters had to study 6 races thereby encouraging them to bet on all those races where they had done their homework especially if they got dumped early. Stupid decision for mine.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

They are Bookies after all  arent they, and if they arent prepared to take the good with the bad, when they have the monopoly in NZ, then get  out of the business!

You have got no show Brodie. The TAB are not going to satisfy customers who can beat them and lower their yield period. Quite the opposite will happen. They will slowly force you and other like you out of the game through restrictions and bans meanwhile trying to get their greedy little hands on as much money the average losing punter will give them, through offering bonus bets and other temptations.

2 minutes ago, aquaman said:

I always argued that pick six was good for turnover. It may well have tied up money for the duration of its running, but what they neglected was the fact, punters had to study 6 races thereby encouraging them to bet on all those races where they had done their homework especially if they got dumped early. Stupid decision for mine.

Yes another decision that shows just how out of touch with punters the TAB really are.

The cancellation of pick 6 reminds me of the times i used to take them.

I gave up on them many years ago ,but never got one except a small one that paid $300.

I almost scooped the pool one night. almost. it was one of those $50,000 guaranteed pools.

I had a couple running in the last and there was only a handful of live tickets and only mine on a horse called Coloured Fella. trained by K Bowen and driven by robert mitchell.

I can still the race like it was yesterday.

Coloured fella went forward from his front line draw but was caught out 3rd and 3 wide rounding the first bend.No worries i thought as the horse racing parked was looking for cover and there was a horse following coloured fella that would have given him the 1/1.

But then,unbelievably,robert mitchell pulled back and tried to push the driver in the 1/1 onto the rail,only problem was there was a horse there,so anyone watching had to have been thinking,whats that idiot doing. I know i was.

So he tried for 100m to do that while the horse 3 back got squeezed up but persisited in trying to maintain its position as it was allowed to. Then,oh no,coloured fella took a knock all of his own doing,broke and ended up 10 lengths last.

But wait,in what was a 14 horse field(i looked it up),turning for home ,coloured fella has tacked on to the field and has manouvered to the outside and appears to be going well. But ,oh no,he now is trying to save a bit of ground and has run into a wall. Why didn't he just come to the outside where there was a clear run.But wait,with 100m to go hes switched to the very inside,virtually last but and is coming home on the fence at 100mph. Will he get up?

well no,you guessed it. In a nose,nose,nose finish he ran fourth. I see he was accredited with the same time as the winner.Biggest certainty beat you could see. Me,well i got $1200 for the concession pick 6 for 5 winners,but what could have been a life changing collect came to nothing,zilch,zero,nada.

Robert mitchell got suspended for a couple of weeks for the drive when they concluded the inquiry the following week. Me, i felt at the time he should have got life.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I recall when Addington had a million dollar pick six a large syndicate backed 13 in race 1 , and the rank outsider won, the one they didn't back.

It had its place but was rarely promoted so slowly died, it did use to create a lot of hype, even though it probably still has a place.

Question is what new idea have they got, if any.

3 minutes ago, the galah said:

The cancellation of pick 6 reminds me of the times i used to take them.

I gave up on them many years ago ,but never got one except a small one that paid $300.

I almost scooped the pool one night. almost. it was one of those $50,000 guaranteed pools.

I had a couple running in the last and there was only a handful of live tickets and only mine on a horse called Coloured Fella. trained by K Bowen and driven by robert mitchell.

I can still the race like it was yesterday.

Coloured fella went forward from his front line draw but was caught out 3 wide rounding the first bend.No worries i thought as the horse racing parked was looking for cover and there was a horse following coloured fella that would have given him the 1/1.

But then,unbelievably,robert mitchell pulled back and tried to push the driver in the 1/1 onto the rail,only problem was there was a horse there,so anyone watching had to have been thinking,whats that idiot doing. I know i was.

So he tried for 100m to do that while the horse 3 back got squeezed up but persisited in trying to maintain its position as it was allowed to. Then,oh no,coloured fella took a knock all of his own doing,broke and ended up 10 lengths last.

But wait,in what was a 14 horse field(i looked it up),turning for home ,coloured fella has tacked on to the field and has manouvered to the outside and appears to be going well. But ,oh no,he now is trying to save a bit of ground and has run into a wall. Why didn't he just come to the outside.But wait,with 100m to go hes switched to the very inside and is coming home on the fence at 100mph. Will he get up?

well no,you guessed it. In a nose,nose,nose finish he ran fourth. I see he was accredited with the same time as the winner.Biggest certainty beat you could see. Me,well i got $1200 for the concession pick 6 for 5 winners,but what could have been a life changing collect came to nothing,zilch,zero,nada.

Robert mitchell got suspended for a couple of weeks for the drive when they concluded the inquiry the following week. Me, i felt at the time he should have got life.

I have picked up quite a few pick sixes over the last 30 years the biggest being $75,000 at Nelson back in the days when they still jackpotted.  I think the pick six paid $125,000 and I had three 20% units of it from memory. Used to love the pick sixes at Forbury during the winter and got many of those when Blair and Dexter were dominating. Shame they are gone now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

It had its place but was rarely promoted so slowly died, it did use to create a lot of hype, even though it probably still has a place.

When they stopped the jackpots it really took a dive. Pools dropped and although it was still good, a 20K pool will not generate the same interest as 250K

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

I recall when Addington had a million dollar pick six a large syndicate backed 13 in race 1 , and the rank outsider won, the one they didn't back.

Question is what new idea have they got, if any.

Was that horse called besse scott? funny the things you remember but i think i remember that.

can someone answer this question.

Can you take a multi ff on one of those machines they have in a pub.

I haven't had an account for a while,closed it as not happy with the tab, and hardly bet much these days as i find those pub machines too frustrating to navigate,but decided tonight i may take a small multi.

But after 5 minutes trying today,pushing buttons on the machine i don't think you can do ff multis on the machines.Is that correct?

Edited by the galah

21 minutes ago, the galah said:

Was that horse called besse scott? funny the things you remember but i think i remember that.

That must have been back in the 80s, I think it was Oaks night, not sure of the horse but probably can look back, million dollars then was massive, I'm pretty sure it was a mill, maybe, maybe not, that would have been before lotto.

• Like 1

May 10 1996, a wee while after Lotto but  Besse Scott, the pick 6 handicap, 15/15 in the betting, that syndicate covered all but Bessie Scott, I think they even made the headlines, probably still licking their wounds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the galah said:

can someone answer this question.

Can you take a multi ff on one of those machines they have in a pub.

I haven't had an account for a while,closed it as not happy with the tab, and hardly bet much these days as i find those pub machines too frustrating to navigate,but decided tonight i may take a small multi.

But after 5 minutes trying today,pushing buttons on the machine i don't think you can do ff multis on the machines.Is that correct?

No doubt it possible to do it on self service machines.

Not possible to do many bets on the machines including Top 4!
Betting options like Head to Heads when they rarely have them on harness also are a waste of time cos they bring them out so late now.

Seriously there appears to be a lack of intelligence with a lot of the TAb’s decisions and unfortunately that is going to continue the decline in the TAB for racing.

Entain bought in so it had control of sports betting and other Options.

Just do your own Pick 6. Is way better anyway in the regard you can pick out just the races You want to watch , and even combine trots, Footy, gallops or whatever takes your fancy.

Fixed odds was an amazing blessing when it came in.

For years and years I used to back NZ trots tote , and time and time again the odds would just half on the tote during the running , depending on what happened at the start. I used to think it was a rort and changed to backing gallops , where that sort of thing happened infrequently. FIXED ODDS came in and stopped that sort of shit happening thankfully.

Tonight's a good GO for a Pick 6 . Addington and Auckland have great horses and drivers in ... 

Lets Try Natalie into Mark . A proven Combo !!! and Mark is driving my early NZ cup tip 'Jolimont' for Arna tonight as well . I tipped it to Karrots after Cup week , and he has come back well. 

TONIGHT Nat has Mr Kaplan x OscarB x Franco Indie

so along with Mark on Jolimont x Treacherous Baby x Chase A Dream   =  $250 for $1 💰💰😎

4 bucks nets a cool Grand !! excellent . these Pick 6 's  are a Piece of Cake 😂

p.s. I am taking Duchess Megxit (a fab filly in the Group 1 Fillies as well , at 100-1 in the Pick 6)

Edited by Gammalite
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Just do your own Pick 6. Is way better anyway in the regard you can pick out just the races You want to watch , and even combine trots, Footy, gallops or whatever takes your fancy.

For years and years I used to back NZ trots tote , and time and time again the odds would just half on the tote during the running , depending on what happened at the start. I used to think it was a rort and changed to backing gallops , where that sort of thing happened infrequently. FIXED ODDS came in and stopped that sort of shit happening thankfully.

Tonight's a good GO for a Pick 6 . Addington and Auckland have great horses and drivers in ... 

Lets Try Natalie into Mark . A proven Combo !!! and Mark is driving my early NZ cup tip 'Jolimont' for Arna tonight as well . I tipped it to Karrots after Cup week , and he has come back well. 

so along with Mark on Jolimont x Treacherous Baby x Chase A Dream   =  $250 for $1 💰💰😎

p.s. I am taking Duchess Megxit (a fab filly in the Group 1 Fillies as well , at 100-1 in the Pick 6)

I want to do 140 combinations for my pick six but now I am going to have to put on 140 separate tickets and its going to cost $140 dollars instead of $14

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Gamma , you talk a lot of sense !

The downward plunge in Pick 6's popularity and pools has been very bad for my finances.

in the early days it kept my betting spend/collect in fairly good shape.

Since the decline I have become a regular loser...this I know for sure !

But the TAB just found it not worth keeping when most punter prefer other options.

Multis betting has gone crazy and there have been many big collects far in excess of anything Pick 6 produced.

Multis the way to go...make your own pick 6  !Or 5  !

You talk sense Gamma !

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

I don't know how well those combo's would go Gammalite but it's a runners chance of turning $1 into $250. Had you taken similar wagers with the same drivers you would have turned a handsome profit. 

Many would embrace a small wager that potentially turns into a marathon over several hours.

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

I want to do 140 combinations for my pick six but now I am going to have to put on 140 separate tickets and its going to cost $140 dollars instead of $14

I thought thats what most people did and was a personal choice of punters to do that instead of a multi.Thats why there is % betting.But i get what gammalite is saying as well.

What doesn't make any sense is when the tab is telling punters in one breath to take multis instead and in the next breath saying the justification for canning the pick 6 is having the money tied up for too long.

I mean if you take a multi,your money is tied up until the final result of each leg of the multi.In fact in reality if someone was taking a 6 race multi,in all probability they are going to pick the best 6 bets for the night over the whole meeting. It may start in race 1 and end in race 11. Tying up punters money for 11 races,instead of the 6 with a pick 6.

The tab treat us like we are dumb sometimes. When it is them who are the dumb ones with what they say.

Edited by the galah