Bit Of A Yarn

Boys Get Paid having a nibble at trotsfullstop..

9 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Entain and the TAB are trying to attract more 'younger' and new people to wagering and are using every marketing/promotional strategy they can think of. Last night , similar to Cup week and big racedays they have staff going around and offering a survey....with the chance of a  lucky bonus bet .....I think it one question ,but the idea is to get folk to open up an account and on every occasion ,BINGO....within in the hour someone at my table gets a text and a Bonus bet ...genius

I've got a really good building to sell you!  Yep the bonus bets are a genius strategy.  Here's some virtual dollars which you can use to bet on fixed odds which we'll adjust the price to cover ourselves and then deduct the bonus "gift" if you happen to win.

Why don't they just stop all this BS and offer a fair competitive price in a book that isn't at 140%?  Oh that's right soon they can offer whatever they want because they'll have more of a monopoly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

How can it be great advertising when it alienates your core customer?  Surely there are marketing options that don't do that and offer a better return on investment.  

Chief . wouldn't the $25,000 refund to BGP be almost like a bonus bet  then. ? given on the proviso that they return and re-invest the same amount in future meetings?

I mean they can't just disappear into the night with the cash from losing bets ? can they?

• Like 1

@TAB For Ever I think @the galah put it very well but I'd just like to reinforce that because many of us have a different opinion it doesnt make us jealous or haters.

In fact most of has have had considerable skin in the game over the decades and have a long passion for the game.

However we are getting somewhat cynical of all the hype and BS that we have seen time and time again for no real fundamental change.  Yeah stakes increase (on borrowed shareholder funds) and the marketing hype goes ballistic.

Meanwhile some of us are desperately looking for a decent track to train on, a safe and fair track to race on, a decent jockey or driver to handle our horses assuming that the programming and handicapping give us an opportunity to compete for those glorious stakes to provide an opportunity for ENTAIN to pay back their marketing budget and subsidised stakes.

Here's hoping that with the BGP getting into horse ownership that they use their apparent influence to get some fundamental change.  Perhaps they might think differently if their horse goes around at Ellerslie on KM night and ends up injured.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

6 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Chief . wouldn't the $25,000 refund to BGP be almost like a bonus bet  then. ? given on the proviso that they return and re-invest the same amount in future meetings?

I mean they can't just disappear into the night with the cash from losing bets ? can they?

Only if the refund was given back as a bonus bet.  All the talk so far has been they got cash back.  The difference between a bonus bet (virtual money) and cash back is considerable in terms of profit/loss to the TAB.  The cash back is real money however they may put a restriction on it being withdrawn only after a specified time period.  I've seen them do that before.

• Like 2

What we  need is the marketing manager or Dean Shannon come on here and give their side of the story, and not their apologist TABFORVEVER!

There are these people who are rah rah about Entain  being the heroes and going to be the saviour of racing in NZ.

TAB buying horses and gifting everyone ownership rights, increased stake money and being the nice guys!

Reality is that they are not the nice guys, doesnt matter how nicely they smile and promise this and that.

The ones being paid by them are scared to actually say what they think, just like what the TV channels  over the past few years, where they were paid for pushing the Covid vaccines onto everyone!

These people were paid to sell the BS to us and were being paid off so they did what they were told.

The chickens have come home to roost and are we sympathetic, I am not, they have damaged peoples health and decimated the country thru their efforts!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The chickens have come home to roost and are we sympathetic, I am not, they have damaged peoples health and decimated the country thru their efforts!

Don't worry Brodie world war three has started it will all be over soon

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Most serious punters know that most of the promotions are cons targeted at the gullible.  

Take a boosted bet for example.  A classic supermarket ploy where you advertise that the recommended retail price is $10 but have it on special at $5 when no one sells it at $10 ever.

So a boosted price is just the real price with the TAB hoping the mug newbies buy at the non boosted price.  

Of course.....marketing tactics....bait and switch etc, buy this and get that etc are common in all retail businesses.

So why all the commotion about a little initiative from the TAB.

When I find  out , TAB offers are only online or for elite customers and retail stores offer discounts for bulk buying ,those with club membership etc etc I don't cry with envy and throw the toys out of the cot. The TAB rewards certain cusomers in different ways....occasional punters get way more bonus bets to spur them on etc etc

Get with the program Chief.

Everytime they do their thing [BGP] the common punter ,according to you gets very offended......pleeeeese Chief.

I was in a room at trots on Friday and NOT one person mentioned BGP a few times it was commented on either on TV or elsewhere. It just more 'wallpaper' ......4000 others got involved around on Friday , 20,000 on Karaka Day.

I like it....hurts no one .

23 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I just asked a question.  How is it profitable for the industry? 

I know for a fact the approach ENTAIN takes with the BGP leaves a sour taste in the mouths of many average punters who have no desire to join the Boys.  

However I guess like the BGP as a group it's members don't win often and ENTAIN can see that on each individuals profile.

Thinking about it they might strike it right one day and it's a no risk proposition if ENTAIN keeps giving their money back when they lose.

Really irritating isn't Chief.

95% of punters lose......we all know the risk !

We all have choices .

I can't be crying every time a see a TAB function with food and drinks etc ONLY for chosen customers or flights to race meetings etc for 'elite' customers.

No different to most every other business operating today.

So you get a sour taste ?

I feel for you....but cheer up cos 95% of us lose W

We can all bitch and moan ,misery loves company .

Us losers are what keeps Racing going.....Horse owners get only 25% of their investment back,

Them and us ...95% of us lose on punt  to keep racing going. 

Get with the program !

7 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

When I find  out , TAB offers are only online or for elite customers and retail stores offer discounts for bulk buying ,those with club membership etc etc I don't cry with envy and throw the toys out of the cot.

There are a lot of things harness racing and the NZ TAB get wrong year after year. 

Are you able to debate without passive aggressive insults toward anyone that doesn't have their nose and tongue up the TAB's bum? 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Bad Post 1

21 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Of course.....marketing tactics....bait and switch etc, buy this and get that etc are common in all retail businesses.

But retail businesses are very careful not to piss off their core long term customers.  Probably because they have open competition.

23 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

When I find  out , TAB offers are only online or for elite customers and retail stores offer discounts for bulk buying ,those with club membership etc etc I don't cry with envy and throw the toys out of the cot. The TAB rewards certain cusomers in different ways....occasional punters get way more bonus bets to spur them on etc etc

Get with the program Chief

You just don't get it do you?  For a start I haven't thrown any toys out of the cot but I do object to seeing a group selected out for favouritism over the average customer.  

You may well like joining the boys as a middle aged stale grey because you want to be part of the fun and in your own words mingle with some of the young fillies but that type of shallowness isn't for me.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Fake News! 1

28 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

was in a room at trots on Friday and NOT one person mentioned BGP a few times it was commented on either on TV or elsewhere. It just more 'wallpaper' ......4000 others got involved around on Friday , 20,000 on Karaka Day

Where did you pull those figures from?  Is buying a $1.01 share in a syndicate really serving anything?  Who is parasitising who in this "partnership"?

• Fake News! 1

2 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Get with the program Chief.

Everytime they do their thing [BGP] the common punter ,according to you gets very offended......pleeeeese Chief.

I was in a room at trots on Friday and NOT one person mentioned BGP a few times it was commented on either on TV or elsewhere. It just more 'wallpaper' ......4000 others got involved around on Friday , 20,000 on Karaka Day.

I like it....hurts no one .

Elite Punters to my take is LOSING PUNTERS who spend!

Winning punters that were ELITE are given nothing, quite the opposite !

Tab/Entain:

Boys Get Paid, put on as much as you like and we will let you on, doesnt matter how much!

Great for publicity!

Winning Punters:

Hey, you are not allowed to win money from us, that is not what we want.

You need to be a losing punter to have an account with us!

You win and we will restrict you to amounts that are not worth the time and effort, so you stop punting with them!

Well Entain/Tab, You may well stop successful punters betting with you, but until such time as you start treating punters equally, Brodie will continue to call you out!!!!!

If any other business treated their customers the way you do, by victimising some and  giving preferential treatment to others, they would be before the commerce commission!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Really irritating isn't Chief.

95% of punters lose......we all know the risk !

We all have choices .

I can't be crying every time a see a TAB function with food and drinks etc ONLY for chosen customers or flights to race meetings etc for 'elite' customers.

No different to most every other business operating today.

So you get a sour taste ?

I feel for you....but cheer up cos 95% of us lose W

We can all bitch and moan ,misery loves company .

Us losers are what keeps Racing going.....Horse owners get only 25% of their investment back,

Get with the program !

Seems you have listened to what others think,but haven't taken it on board.Up to you.

I do think if your connected to the tab then it would help for you to at least have some empathy for how many punters feel.Just a suggestion.

As to your reference to chosen customers getting invites to free food and drinks. I have never heard any punter complain about missing out on that type of thing.My guess the reason for that would be  because they realise theres a difference between free drinks/food and refunding $25,000 or more.

And your reference to elite customers. You should at least be  comparing like to like if your going to make that argument.

When you made the point about perks elite customers get,instead of telling half the story tell the whole story. All entain customers are eligible to become an elite customer if the turnover on their accounts reach certain levels.

Brodie ,some elite customers can easily be winning customers . In fact i would think to reach the highest levels of the elite status,it would pay at least to be getting close to being a winning customer otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain the turnovers required.

I suppose your differentiating between customers who bet on the tote and those who bet mainly on ff. I'm sure your correct when you say that if you were an elite customer,you would be heavily restricted on the ff if you won consistently and given that wouldn't turnover the levels required to be an elite customer, or you would be someone who lost regularly on ff.

Edited by the galah

3 hours ago, Walt said:

There are a lot of things harness racing and the NZ TAB get wrong year after year. 

Are you able to debate without passive aggressive insults toward anyone that doesn't have their nose and tongue up the TAB's bum? 

Such insults from you Walt old son...and name calling too !

Is that Nelson sun getting to you...I still about to look at your comment that Oscar wouldve, shouldve couldve !

• Bad Post 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

But retail businesses are very careful not to piss off their core long term customers.  Probably because they have open competition.

You just don't get it do you?  For a start I haven't thrown any toys out of the cot but I do object to seeing a group selected out for favouritism over the average customer.  

You may well like joining the boys as a middle aged stale grey because you want to be part of the fun and in your own words mingle with some of the young fillies but that type of shallowness isn't for me.

What do you do for fun Chief ?

Retail businesses disappoint customers ALL the time......get with the program Chief !

• Fake News! 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Elite Punters to my take is LOSING PUNTERS who spend!

Winning punters that were ELITE are given nothing, quite the opposite !

Tab/Entain:

Boys Get Paid, put on as much as you like and we will let you on, doesnt matter how much!

Great for publicity!

Winning Punters:

Hey, you are not allowed to win money from us, that is not what we want.

You need to be a losing punter to have an account with us!

You win and we will restrict you to amounts that are not worth the time and effort, so you stop punting with them!

Well Entain/Tab, You may well stop successful punters betting with you, but until such time as you start treating punters equally, Brodie will continue to call you out!!!!!

If any other business treated their customers the way you do, by victimising some and  giving preferential treatment to others, they would be before the commerce commission!

Brodie old son , 

You are obviously an exceptional punter...one of the few who win....the top 5%.

Have you ever met with the TAB bosses and discussed your situation.

Discussed rebates etc

I know the odd one who has...they generally happy with their treatment.

Sort it out with them once and for all.

Cos you been banging on for a long time about the poor treatment you receive.......

Have you heard the story about the 'boy who cried wolf' !

• Bad Post 1

3 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Get with the program !

Get with the program TABman 😅. now you at BOAY only 50% of us lose on the punt here , and that's only on a day when we follow your tips !😉

The horse owning business looks good if you are a Fat Debbie or a Dean Shannon. but wow ! don't they spend some and have a few numbers too. they need 25% back to keep it all going .

Dean might prop up North Island harness (like Seymour props/propped up his old stomping ground in  Brisbane. Dean still has some here too) so can't begrudge them their winners. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Seems you have listened to what others think,but haven't taken it on board.Up to you.

I do think if your connected to the tab then it would help for you to at least have some empathy for how many punters feel.Just a suggestion.

As to your reference to chosen customers getting invites to free food and drinks. I have never heard any punter complain about missing out on that type of thing.My guess the reason for that would be  because they realise theres a difference between free drinks/food and refunding $25,000 or more.

And your reference to elite customers. You should at least be  comparing like to like if your going to make that argument.

When you made the point about perks elite customers get,instead of telling half the story tell the whole story. All entain customers are eligible to become an elite customer if the turnover on their accounts reach certain levels.

Brodie ,some elite customers can easily be winning customers . In fact i would think to reach the highest levels of the elite status,it would pay at least to be getting close to being a winning customer otherwise you wouldn't be able to maintain the turnovers required.

I suppose your differentiating between customers who bet on the tote and those who bet mainly on ff. I'm sure your correct when you say that if you were an elite customer,you would be heavily restricted on the ff if you won consistently and given that wouldn't turnover the levels required to be an elite customer, or you would be someone who lost regularly on ff.

I was supposedly an Elite customer but nothing special being one of them .

No invites just frustration.

Entain aren’t here to make friends and watch what happens when the 2 years is up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Brodie old son , 

You are obviously an exceptional punter...one of the few who win....the top 5%.

Have you ever met with the TAB bosses and discussed your situation.

Discussed rebates etc

I know the odd one who has...they generally happy with their treatment.

Sort it out with them once and for all.

Cos you been banging on for a long time about the poor treatment you receive.......

Have you heard the story about the 'boy who cried wolf' !

Lol you are kidding aren’t you?

All I ask is for all punters to be treated equally!

If I have a restriction to be able to only win $20 on certain bets then everyone should be restricted to that!

When they slash the shit out of something I have backed and don’t let you back on at the reduced odds it is BS!

I do the punting as a challenge , yes the money is useful but I don’t necessarily need it!

If they want turnover increased I can do that for them, by having these pathetic restrictions they are doing more harm than good.

i will post later tonight something that will show what we are dealing with due to McAnulty signing away the TAB for 25 long years.

Harness will be stuffed by then as they don’t want harness racing .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

The TAB saviour Entain CEO has stated “ We put our customers first and I’m really proud we are leading the charge broadening our offer with more differentiated content and media, as well as player protection”

Bollacks, that they put customers first!!!

Bollacks that they care about their customers!

Mr Dean Shannon was asked a question.

”Are you comfortable with geo-blocking legislation including minimum bet laws to ensure NZ punters get treated fairly, under a monopoly?”

Mr Dean Shannon’s answer!

yes, i’m very comfortable with it, we want punters to have a fair go, it’s not only limited to minimum bet but also pricing we want to ensure we deliver a world class product to the New Zealand customers, and we want them to enjoy the experience and part of that is having very competitive pricing”

Brodie: You want punters to have a fair go?

So allowing certain punters to net $20 is a FAIR GO Mr Shannon?

Minimum bet? What is this minimum bet you are saying $20, cos some punters bets are limited to such pathetic amounts, but this is obviously what Entain thinks is a FAIR GO?

Mr Shannon wants Tab Entain customers to enjoy the experience!

Well I can ensure you TAB/ENTAIN that I personally do not enjoy the experience of being restricted and being treated unfairly to other punters!!!!!!!

Now TABFOREVER, why dont you get your mates to respond??

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

I was supposedly an Elite customer but nothing special being one of them .

No invites just frustration.

Entain aren’t here to make friends and watch what happens when the 2 years is up.

i was too for a while.

i also knew someone else who was and they got a few nice perks but was spending somewhere between 1.5-2 million  per year for a couple of years. That was the tote figures and didn't include ff. Most of that was on nz harness.

Not sure whether they are an elite customer anymore,but i know they don't spend much at all these days,directly a result of policies the tab implemented.Strange but true,but thats what the tab did.

Actually i was talking to that person today and they happened to mention cambridge. They mentioned bgp which they are a fan of. When i mentioned the refund bgp got, their reaction was similar to what we have been saying.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Such insults from you Walt old son...and name calling too !

Is that Nelson sun getting to you...I still about to look at your comment that Oscar wouldve, shouldve couldve !

Funny you should say that. Third time you've made a lame arse joke about that so I'll share something personal with you. 

I grew up in Nelson but left in 1982. Spent a lot of time in the sun but that caught up with me 40 years later in Auckland when I copped a melanoma diagnosis in 2022. Threel surgeries later with the clock ticking we made the call to leave our six adult children and return to Nelson. Being planted here had more appeal than Auckland but only after I've squeezed as much out as possible. 

So yes, the Nelson sun did get to me. One thing for sure, having your head up the TAB's arse has certainly got to you. 

Do me a favour. Don't message me on here again. 

• Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

The TAB saviour Entain CEO has stated “ We put our customers first and I’m really proud we are leading the charge broadening our offer with more differentiated content and media, as well as player protection”

Bollacks, that they put customers first!!!

Bollacks that they care about their customers!

Mr Dean Shannon was asked a question.

”Are you comfortable with geo-blocking legislation including minimum bet laws to ensure NZ punters get treated fairly, under a monopoly?”

Mr Dean Shannon’s answer!

yes, i’m very comfortable with it, we want punters to have a fair go, it’s not only limited to minimum bet but also pricing we want to ensure we deliver a world class product to the New Zealand customers, and we want them to enjoy the experience and part of that is having very competitive pricing”

Brodie: You want punters to have a fair go?

So allowing certain punters to net $20 is a FAIR GO Mr Shannon?

Minimum bet? What is this minimum bet you are saying $20, cos some punters bets are limited to such pathetic amounts, but this is obviously what Entain thinks is a FAIR GO?

Mr Shannon wants Tab Entain customers to enjoy the experience!

Well I can ensure you TAB/ENTAIN that I personally do not enjoy the experience of being restricted and being treated unfairly to other punters!!!!!!!

Now TABFOREVER, why dont you get your mates to respond??

They are responding Brodie......via him and displaying the same sort of contempt

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walt said:

Funny you should say that. Third time you've made a lame arse joke about that so I'll share something personal with you. 

I grew up in Nelson but left in 1982. Spent a lot of time in the sun but that caught up with me 40 years later in Auckland when I copped a melanoma diagnosis in 2022. Threel surgeries later with the clock ticking we made the call to leave our six adult children and return to Nelson. Being planted here had more appeal than Auckland but only after I've squeezed as much out as possible. 

So yes, the Nelson sun did get to me. One thing for sure, having your head up the TAB's arse has certainly got to you. 

Do me a favour. Don't message me on here again. 

A tough blow Walt. Those medical things sure are a test in life at times. I wish you all the best for some more happy times at your favoured Nelson town activity (of course including the harness racing there that you have mentioned many times at BOAY that contain many great memories for you from the past , and now and into the future too) you are a 'fair dinkum' topgun enthusiast.

Don't let TABman get to ya mate. just another poster  who comes up with some interesting stuff in times that are changing , as far as the betting and types of racing , etc are going. He would not of known about the Sun thing , (indeed at 60, 6 weeks ago I had the first thing cut off top of head, carcinoma, so am all good to go now  from the hot QLD sun ) we are always commenting on the sunshine here.  

I loved the Slot races , Aussies turning Up ? cool beyond words !!!!! and personally I've never seen NZ racing going so well than over the past year. Brodster is the eternal grim reaper who I often have debated the 'North Island trotting' industry with  (in good spirit I hope) . I think he would shut it down if given the chance lol..  I think it's going great guns , and just needs the Very Easy Solution .. of just sell off All of Alexandra Park to clear the debt.. and have a country race-course that does it all say at Waikato maybe . (worked perfectly well for Melbourne and Sydney) there ya go problem fixed in a jiffy by Gamma 🤣 😆

p.s As for betting , I and many other's have suggested many things to Brodie over past 2 years to 'engage his investment dollar' . he rejects them all as is his perogative. And I have no idea who TABman works for , but there's still PLENTY of mob's that will take harness racing bets, so Get in and have Fun still mate . Next stop NZ Messenger soon ?? there's some beauties coming up soon from yours and I old stamping ground at Auckland.

My very first night at Auckland trots as a young teen, flashy LOCARNO stormed to victory from back at in the field to win the NZ Messenger brilliantly. addicted for life since lol.

• Like 1