Bit Of A Yarn

Boys Get Paid having a nibble at trotsfullstop..

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

p.s As for betting , I and many other's have suggested many things to Brodie over past 2 years to 'engage his investment dollar' . he rejects them all as is his perogative. And I have no idea who TABman works for , but there's still PLENTY of mob's that will take harness racing bets, so Get in and have Fun still mate . Next stop NZ Messenger soon ?? there's some beauties coming up soon from yours and I old stamping ground at Auckland.

What do you know a few pub bookies still working in NZ?

@Brodie is too long in the tooth to get around geo blocking using VPN's.  Let alone filling out all the forms in OZ English.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Brodie said:

Lol you are kidding aren’t you?

All I ask is for all punters to be treated equally!

If I have a restriction to be able to only win $20 on certain bets then everyone should be restricted to that!

When they slash the shit out of something I have backed and don’t let you back on at the reduced odds it is BS!

I do the punting as a challenge , yes the money is useful but I don’t necessarily need it!

If they want turnover increased I can do that for them, by having these pathetic restrictions they are doing more harm than good.

i will post later tonight something that will show what we are dealing with due to McAnulty signing away the TAB for 25 long years.

Harness will be stuffed by then as they don’t want harness racing .

So Brodie you been banging on about this for 25 years ?

Have you approached them about you getting on more of your bets ...Customer satisfaction for you !

Personally I have never had an issue getting a bet on except when after closing time.

And I probably been betting since before you were a foetus....do you remember the yellow tickets and the pre-sell close off time at 90 or 120 mins.

I'm sure you can get your bets on ...100% of time...guarantee it !

The T's and C's of betting on tote maybe doesnt suit you so I strongly suggest you meet with them and negotiate.

6 hours ago, Gammalite said:

A tough blow Walt. Those medical things sure are a test in life at times. I wish you all the best for some more happy times at your favoured Nelson town activity (of course including the harness racing there that you have mentioned many times at BOAY that contain many great memories for you from the past , and now and into the future too) you are a 'fair dinkum' topgun enthusiast.

Don't let TABman get to ya mate. just another poster  who comes up with some interesting stuff in times that are changing , as far as the betting and types of racing , etc are going. He would not of known about the Sun thing , (indeed at 60, 6 weeks ago I had the first thing cut off top of head, carcinoma, so am all good to go now  from the hot QLD sun ) we are always commenting on the sunshine here.  

I loved the Slot races , Aussies turning Up ? cool beyond words !!!!! and personally I've never seen NZ racing going so well than over the past year. Brodster is the eternal grim reaper who I often have debated the 'North Island trotting' industry with  (in good spirit I hope) . I think he would shut it down if given the chance lol..  I think it's going great guns , and just needs the Very Easy Solution .. of just sell off All of Alexandra Park to clear the debt.. and have a country race-course that does it all say at Waikato maybe . (worked perfectly well for Melbourne and Sydney) there ya go problem fixed in a jiffy by Gamma 🤣 😆

p.s As for betting , I and many other's have suggested many things to Brodie over past 2 years to 'engage his investment dollar' . he rejects them all as is his perogative. And I have no idea who TABman works for , but there's still PLENTY of mob's that will take harness racing bets, so Get in and have Fun still mate . Next stop NZ Messenger soon ?? there's some beauties coming up soon from yours and I old stamping ground at Auckland.

My very first night at Auckland trots as a young teen, flashy LOCARNO stormed to victory from back at in the field to win the NZ Messenger brilliantly. addicted for life since lol.

Your input always a good read Gamma. 

As you know, "shit happens"...you and I are a similar age. I'm obviously far better looking. 

We had to standby helplessly and watch a beautiful young lady in our world succumb to a brain tumour. She never had a chance. I've mostly had a good innings so when the grim reaper comes I will have context. Hope I get to see a couple more NZ Cups before then. One thing for sure, I'm in the right place here. Once we get north of 60 it becomes a management thing for many. I hope your skin issues are under control. As we know, little insignificant blemishes can hide a much bigger issue. I thought mine was relatively minor. I was sitting with the surgeon feeling a tad miffed that he'd left a big issue for someone else up on his screen. I figured he wasn't thinking about privacy for whatever reason. Then I clicked to it being my scan up on the screen. I fly back up to Auckland every 3 months to keep on top of things.

We are both addicted to the harness game. I can see why Locarno was a big fav. What a horse he was for Robin and in a great era. Locarno had a fantastic sprint on him. You always knew he was still a winning chance regardless of how far back in the run he was. 

Pity TAB man is an eggplant as some of his input is good. Our TAB has fallen short for many years so when someone creates a user name licking the TAB's bum you know what he's about. He's becoming more of a dick lately when anyone has the temerity to see the TAB differently to him.

I'm sweet for people to disagree with things I say but I dislike with a passion being misrepresented and passive aggressive shit talking from the shadows. 

I don't always agree with Brodie but he seems a good egg. Anyone that can make a dollar punting long term has my respect. It can be a tough gig so you don't need spineless betting platforms setting out to make things virtually unworkable because you have the audacity to find winners. 

• Like 3

On 4/14/2024 at 9:49 AM, Chief Stipe said:

I've got a really good building to sell you!  Yep the bonus bets are a genius strategy.  Here's some virtual dollars which you can use to bet on fixed odds which we'll adjust the price to cover ourselves and then deduct the bonus "gift" if you happen to win.

Why don't they just stop all this BS and offer a fair competitive price in a book that isn't at 140%?  Oh that's right soon they can offer whatever they want because they'll have more of a monopoly.

You lost me Chief when you said you had a good building to sell ........we talking harness and betting synd here !

5 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

You lost me Chief when you said you had a good building to sell ........we talking harness and betting synd here !

So when you said in an earlier post YOU could sell me a building you were talking shyte?

On 4/14/2024 at 9:59 AM, Chief Stipe said:

@TAB For Ever I think @the galah put it very well but I'd just like to reinforce that because many of us have a different opinion it doesnt make us jealous or haters.

In fact most of has have had considerable skin in the game over the decades and have a long passion for the game.

However we are getting somewhat cynical of all the hype and BS that we have seen time and time again for no real fundamental change.  Yeah stakes increase (on borrowed shareholder funds) and the marketing hype goes ballistic.

Meanwhile some of us are desperately looking for a decent track to train on, a safe and fair track to race on, a decent jockey or driver to handle our horses assuming that the programming and handicapping give us an opportunity to compete for those glorious stakes to provide an opportunity for ENTAIN to pay back their marketing budget and subsidised stakes.

Here's hoping that with the BGP getting into horse ownership that they use their apparent influence to get some fundamental change.  Perhaps they might think differently if their horse goes around at Ellerslie on KM night and ends up injured.

Well Chief , I have seen it ,read it and heard it since BGP first did their thing more seriously than they originally started out which was a bit of very informal fun among a group of friends. I asked one of the organisers in the group, after I joined how they felt about growing criticism toward them. He said 'there will always be haters out there' and he is right.

Every big promotion they have had...mainly Karaka Day.....they have been savaged with criticism. And its not about any special deals on the odds offered ....and the TAB bookies are not totally ignorant cos overall the TAB has won the battle. Its been other stuff especially the bets made etc .

Being amongst the group from early days I have seen how members ,mostly young just genuinely enjoy being at the races at Riccarton etc with like minded people and seen how many folk enjoy the Karaka day so ,so much . I've mainly sat amongst groups of fellow South Islanders etc  .

So yes , I sense a lot of jealousy....its real ! Year after year !

I assume in your eyes I am qualified to give my opinion on the organisation......not only WAS I a paid up member ,I've contributed to most of their betting days and one of the few ...maybe the only person on here who has attended all Karaka Days , all NZ Cup weeks of late plus the Grins night on Friday.

But I didn't sit amongst the BGP on Friday. Actually met a couple of older Aussies who came over just for the trots and had a real good YARN... that for another day , cos was going to start a new thread on the night but thought that will just  be seen by most on here as brown nosing ,arse licking  , crawling shitty shitting from a stale,pale , old ex- Christs college , Cost accountant tosser ! 

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

I'm sure you can get your bets on ...100% of time...guarantee it !

Brodie likes 1 - 2K a place on something paying more than $3 and when you get more home than you lose at those odds the TAB throw their toys out of the cot and stop you doing it as it hurts their bottom line.

If you are any good you can make money betting but also if you are any good they try to stop you any way they can. All is fair until you start beating them then they get nasty.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Well Chief , I have seen it ,read it and heard it since BGP first did their thing more seriously than they originally started out which was a bit of very informal fun among a group of friends. I asked one of the organisers in the group, after I joined how they felt about growing criticism toward them. He said 'there will always be haters out there' and he is right.

Every big promotion they have had...mainly Karaka Day.....they have been savaged with criticism. And its not about any special deals on the odds offered ....and the TAB bookies are not totally ignorant cos overall the TAB has won the battle. Its been other stuff especially the bets made etc .

Being amongst the group from early days I have seen how members ,mostly young just genuinely enjoy being at the races at Riccarton etc with like minded people and seen how many folk enjoy the Karaka day so ,so much . I've mainly sat amongst groups of fellow South Islanders etc  .

I assume in your eyes I am qualified to give my opinion on the organisation......not only WAS I a paid up member ,I've contributed to most of their betting days and one of the few ...maybe the only person on here who has attended all Karaka Days , all NZ Cup weeks of late plus the Grins night on Friday.

But I didn't sit amongst the BGP on Friday. Actually met a couple of older Aussies who came over just for the trots and had a real good YARN... that for another day , cos was going to start a new thread on the night but thought that will just  be seen by most on here as brown nosing ,arse licking  , crawling shitty shitting from a stale,pale , old ex- Christs college , Cost accountant tosser ! 

Tabman, I don’t know anyone that is jealous of BGP, quite the opposite.

they are having fun and getting new people into their betting syndicate which is great.

I have no problem with them whatsoever .

The issue I do have is that the TAB!

The TAB/Entain allow them on for any amount and can be allowed to win $1m no problem!

Whereas other punters who are not BGP can not get worthwhile amounts on and have restrictions that are so damn pathetic it is not worth it, which is what they want.

Do you think a restriction of being allowed to net $20 is reasonable from the TAB!

All I ask and I am sure other restricted punters is that they are allowed on to win reasonable amounts!

Let’s say there are 2 Bookies that set the odds for harness racing.

1. 30 year old white male been with the TAB for 5 years and is on a salary of say $150k

2. 35 year old white female been with TAB for 10 years and on a salary of $100k!

How do you think the 35 white female thinks about the situation!

Would this be cause for a grievance with the TAB?

This is basically in essence what restricted punters are receiving but on a much bigger scale!

As for the TAB raising my limits are you serious when you ask that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Tabman, I don’t know anyone that is jealous of BGP, quite the opposite.

they are having fun and getting new people into their betting syndicate which is great.

I have no problem with them whatsoever .

The issue I do have is that the TAB!

The TAB/Entain allow them on for any amount and can be allowed to win $1m no problem!

Whereas other punters who are not BGP can not get worthwhile amounts on and have restrictions that are so damn pathetic it is not worth it, which is what they want.

Do you think a restriction of being allowed to net $20 is reasonable from the TAB!

All I ask and I am sure other restricted punters is that they are allowed on to win reasonable amounts!

Let’s say there are 2 Bookies that set the odds for harness racing.

1. 30 year old white male been with the TAB for 5 years and is on a salary of say $150k

2. 35 year old white female been with TAB for 10 years and on a salary of $100k!

How do you think the 35 white female thinks about the situation!

Would this be cause for a grievance with the TAB?

This is basically in essence what restricted punters are receiving but on a much bigger scale!

As for the TAB raising my limits are you serious when you ask that?

Be stoked to take her apron off and vacate the kitchen.

4 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Its hard to follow the consistency in your logic tab forever..

Brodies on the money,the issue we have is with the tab/entain,not bgp.

Perhaps the easiest way to explain what i mean is ask yourself this...

How many times has brodie complained about some punters getting on large amounts and him not being allowed to.

Using the logic you are sticking with in this thread,you would say brodie is jealous,hates,critical(your words), of fellow punters who get bigger bets accepted.

Yet you know thats not true,brodie has never once criticised a fellow punter. You know he wouldn't do that because you know thats not what he thinks.You know hes criticising the tab/entain. 

Think about the inconsistency in how you've applied past logic compared to this thread.

Anyway,as walt has said earlier, your posts are mostly seen as good.And even if they weren't,as long as your saying what you actually think then people just move on when the next thread starts,a bit like looking for the winner of the next race.

I do get where your coming from when you ended the above post with brown nosing,arse licking,tosser,etc.  Personally i thought that funny ,funny because you always try and be positive with your posts,but you've shown your frustration on this topic. Thats just my sense of humour.

I do believe a lot of the people who post on here would actually be quite tough mentally,at least thats my impression,and thats just reflected in how they post.

I'll give you an analogy of how i've come to view a bit of a yarn.

Theres nothing nasty ,just if other posters think you lay on the wrong side of the ruck then your going to get raked over a little. None of this the ref blowing the whistle straight away like they do now days. I just think thats something people who stick around o here come to realise. It can be frustrating if you happen to be getting a bit a of rucking,but after maybe a few minutes in the blood bin,or in our case a few days off bit of a yarn,we get back out and go again.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

10 minutes ago, the galah said:

How many times has brodie complained about some punters getting on large amounts and him not being allowed to.

I would like to give you a number but I don't think the calculator goes that high. 😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

I would like to give you a number but I don't think the calculator goes that high. 😂

Would the TAB/Entain allow me on for $20 on that one??

Cracked record I realise, but when there is an injustice occurring, the “Brodster” just doesn’t rollover easily and accept wrong doing!

My tirade for the unfairly treated punters in NZ is in the hands of the TAB/Entain, if they believe that they want to continue to favour some punters by rewarding them and yet victimise others, then I need to continue to point out just how ethically wrong that is!

I am a speaking up for all the restricted punters in NZ, and I do not know how many there are, but I am not apologising,  as I  know the CEO of Entain, would not sit back and say nothing if he suddenly had his salary from Entain restricted to next to nothing!!!!!

They say they have a minimum bet amount that they are adhering to and that is plain rubbish and they know that!

The business plan that the TAB have adopted for many years  is so seriously flawed!

Instead of worrying about crucifying punters, they need to be encouraging them and they were prepared to selectively encourage that the other night, by gifting BOYS GET PAID over $25k!

How on earth is that right TAB/ENTAIN?

• Champ Post 1

38 minutes ago, the galah said:

Perhaps the easiest way to explain what i mean is ask yourself this...

Brodie is a single entity, trying to make a quid out of a system that has apparently reaped results.

Brodie doesn't act as if he had loyalty or fondness to any Betting agency. He just wants to take them to the cleaners , for as much as he feels he deserves.

If I was a betting agency I'd be VERY wary of someone doing this , and restrict them.

PGB are are bunch of clever fellows who pool together , have a lot of fun , betting agency suck up to them a bit, inflates the pools nicely. Not too bothered whether they win or lose . So you WELCOME these people. they're great for the racing game and getting people involved. OF course the Betting Agency will let them Place their Big Bets. They come back and spend it .

I think it is un-necessary to refund their losing bet though. That has OBVIOUSLY left a Bad taste in other punters mouths. 

I remember one bet once I tried to put on an Nz pacer on the grass. $500 place on number 1 using a Brodie-like strategy 🤣. the machine said "Too high amount , try lower amount" so I dropped it to $400 to win $400. I wasn't surprised in the slightest. Why should they risk more than a certain payout amount for my benefit?  They're trying to make money .

BTW (horse ran 4th hemmed in behind the John Dunn fav who led and won so it was goodbye $400 lol. 😆 true yarn ! and I have played better strategy than that rubbish ever since😂 

18 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Brodie is a single entity, trying to make a quid out of a system that has apparently reaped results.

Brodie doesn't act as if he had loyalty or fondness to any Betting agency. He just wants to take them to the cleaners , for as much as he feels he deserves.

If I was a betting agency I'd be VERY wary of someone doing this , and restrict them.

PGB are are bunch of clever fellows who pool together , have a lot of fun , betting agency suck up to them a bit, inflates the pools nicely. Not too bothered whether they win or lose . So you WELCOME these people. they're great for the racing game and getting people involved. OF course the Betting Agency will let them Place their Big Bets. They come back and spend it .

I think it is un-necessary to refund their losing bet though. That has OBVIOUSLY left a Bad taste in other punters mouths. 

I remember one bet once I tried to put on an Nz pacer on the grass. $500 place on number 1 using a Brodie-like strategy 🤣. the machine said "Too high amount , try lower amount" so I dropped it to $400 to win $400. I wasn't surprised in the slightest. Why should they risk more than a certain payout amount for my benefit?  They're trying to make money .

BTW (horse ran 4th hemmed in behind the John Dunn fav who led and won so it was goodbye $400 lol. 😆 true yarn ! and I have played better strategy than that rubbish ever since😂 

Gamma, I was always loyal to the NZ TAB for decades and then when the NZ TAB decided that Brodie and others are not allowed to win, I was advised to wager overseas in Oz.

I learnt that they are no more lenient over there!

I am clearly under the misunderstanding that the TAB is a Betting Agency and that if you are good enough to make money, it is legal for the betting agency to not play fair and basically stop you!

The TAB turnover is massive and my turnover is a drop in the bucket for them and yet the restrictions are just pathetically low, and yet others are allowed To win anything!

In reality I do not need to be wagering, however I used to do it for the challenge, but then the actions of the TAB changed that a bit!

I get it that they want to make plenty of $ so that they can afford to make plenty and pay the large salaries!

However I do not know any  other business that would get away with stopping  people from spending more money than someone else in someones  business??

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brodie said:

However I do not know any  other business that would get away with stopping  people from spending more money than someone else in someones  business??

Mate , casino's do it all the time.  Like a TAB they work on collecting the gambling dollar.

A 'loaded up patron ' could walk in feeling lucky and have a plonk of $5000 on the 'Red' and then just walk out again with an extra $5000. 

The Casino (and the TAB) DO Not want this to happen. Therefore all the table Plays have limits. All the patrons are restricted.  $500 in one go I think it is/was. with a working scale depending on what the odds are and potential payout is. 

Customers that work out a system are often watched for. some aren't even allowed to play Black Jack and assorted things like that. 

Your systematic betting record is obviously going to Attract attention.  you are /were trying to put large amounts on , in one go. and apparently had very large collects. 

No wonder they ran to the hills to get away from you mate !!

you need high roller treatment. Join a Punter group that is ALLOWED to put the Large Bets on. 

I joined a Saturday Group once (a six month contract ) that was allowed to put HUGE bets on . I actually received a 'Portfolio' of all the bets being placed on the Saturday on behalf of the 1000 or so member. main advantage was you had heaps of bets on without doing any study whatsoever. main disadvantage was you couldn't pick anything yourself and a few of the bets seemed no chance, and were heavily Gai Waterhouse favoured as well 🤣😂 so after the 6 months it becomes stale not picking them yourself ( A PGB problem for sure) and isn't as much Fun.

But no way would a 'Single Entity' get those Bets on, without being known to the betting agency as a regular

Edited by Gammalite

33 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Mate , casino's do it all the time.  Like a TAB they work on collecting the gambling dollar.

A 'loaded up patron ' could walk in feeling lucky and have a plonk of $5000 on the 'Red' and then just walk out again with an extra $5000. 

The Casino (and the TAB) DO Not want this to happen. Therefore all the table Plays have limits. All the patrons are restricted.  $500 in one go I think it is/was. with a working scale depending on what the odds are and potential payout is. 

Customers that work out a system are often watched for. some aren't even allowed to play Black Jack and assorted things like that. 

Your systematic betting record is obviously going to Attract attention.  you are /were trying to put large amounts on , in one go. and apparently had very large collects. 

No wonder they ran to the hills to get away from you mate !!

you need high roller treatment. Join a Punter group that is ALLOWED to put the Large Bets on. 

I joined a Saturday Group once (a six month contract ) that was allowed to put HUGE bets on . I actually received a 'Portfolio' of all the bets being placed on the Saturday on behalf of the 1000 or so member. main advantage was you had heaps of bets on without doing any study whatsoever. main disadvantage was you couldn't pick anything yourself and a few of the bets seemed no chance, and were heavily Gai Waterhouse favoured as well 🤣😂 so after the 6 months it becomes stale not picking them yourself ( A PGB problem for sure) and isn't as much Fun.

But no way would a 'Single Entity' get those Bets on, without being known to the betting agency as a regular

Gamma, Just because they do it, and are currently getting away with these restrictions, make it ethical or legal!

I am under  the misunderstanding that you were not allowed to discriminate against people?

Not interested in betting with syndicates on galloping or harness, the challenge and enjoyment comes from personal selection.

Anyway the TAB and racing are going to have severe headwinds in the future by their actions and decision making.

Ps. If someone does chuck a lazy 5k on red and wins, then there is no doubt that he will be giving it back with interest to the Casino!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

Gamma, Just because they do it, and are currently getting away with these restrictions, make it ethical or legal!

Well it is legal because it is in their terms and conditions.

Ethical? Most people would say no but I am not sure you would win in a court of law. I would like to see someone try it though.

This has also been through the media on several occasions and nothing has come of it.

A story from 2014 in Stuff

TAB odds-makers lure in punters with the promo slogan: "You know the odds, now beat them".

But less than three months before New Zealand's biggest betting day - the November 4 running of the Melbourne Cup - they have cracked down on a Kiwi punter who has excelled at doing just that.

TAB executive general manager Glenn Patrick recently wrote to Christchurch man Graham Beirne that the betting agency was losing "a significant amount of money" on his fixed odds betting, so it had to adjust the amount of money he could win.

In a move which the 67-year-old hit out at, he can now not win any more than $2000 on a win or place bet, and cannot win any more than $2000 even on a combination multi. He must also place all his bets by 9.30am on respective race days.

"It's more like, ‘You know the odds, now beat them. But if you do, we'll cut you'," a fuming Beirne said. "On the one hand they're complaining about leakage - don't bet overseas, they say, but you can only back losers in New Zealand - ‘You can play in our sand pit but only if you lose'."

Beirne owned Kate's First when it won the 1997 Auckland Cup.

He has been a passionate supporter of harness racing for more than 50 years.

But the TAB's stance had him questioning his future support for the industry in New Zealand.

"I put $1 million into the industry every year through 25 racehorses, plus broodmares and sponsorship, but I'm at the point of thinking of selling the lot and going and playing bridge," he said.

He added in a written response to Patrick and the TAB: "The owners that continue to race horses are supplying the product for your customers to generate turnover. Have you also considered that while my past betting has cost you money on fixed odds, every time I line up a horse in a race it is making you money on the tote?

"No doubt you also have other large winning customers but how many of these people contribute product for your customers to be on to the degree that I do? I would suggest none."

Beirne had offered a compromise over betting limits, but the TAB had rejected it, he said.

Patrick told the Sunday Star-Times it was standard practice around the world for corporate bookmakers to restrict winning punters. He believed the way the TAB was treating Beirne was fair and reasonable. He would not confirm how many other punters had similar restrictions.

"One of our objectives under the Racing Act is to maintain a profitable wagering system and we need to take that obligation seriously," he said.

"There will be clients who have better information than us, or who are better than us, that we will need to put limits on."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

This has also been through the media on several occasions and nothing has come of it.

A story from 2014 in Stuff

TAB odds-makers lure in punters with the promo slogan: "You know the odds, now beat them".

But less than three months before New Zealand's biggest betting day - the November 4 running of the Melbourne Cup - they have cracked down on a Kiwi punter who has excelled at doing just that.

TAB executive general manager Glenn Patrick recently wrote to Christchurch man Graham Beirne that the betting agency was losing "a significant amount of money" on his fixed odds betting, so it had to adjust the amount of money he could win.

In a move which the 67-year-old hit out at, he can now not win any more than $2000 on a win or place bet, and cannot win any more than $2000 even on a combination multi. He must also place all his bets by 9.30am on respective race days.

"It's more like, ‘You know the odds, now beat them. But if you do, we'll cut you'," a fuming Beirne said. "On the one hand they're complaining about leakage - don't bet overseas, they say, but you can only back losers in New Zealand - ‘You can play in our sand pit but only if you lose'."

Beirne owned Kate's First when it won the 1997 Auckland Cup.

He has been a passionate supporter of harness racing for more than 50 years.

But the TAB's stance had him questioning his future support for the industry in New Zealand.

"I put $1 million into the industry every year through 25 racehorses, plus broodmares and sponsorship, but I'm at the point of thinking of selling the lot and going and playing bridge," he said.

He added in a written response to Patrick and the TAB: "The owners that continue to race horses are supplying the product for your customers to generate turnover. Have you also considered that while my past betting has cost you money on fixed odds, every time I line up a horse in a race it is making you money on the tote?

"No doubt you also have other large winning customers but how many of these people contribute product for your customers to be on to the degree that I do? I would suggest none."

Beirne had offered a compromise over betting limits, but the TAB had rejected it, he said.

Patrick told the Sunday Star-Times it was standard practice around the world for corporate bookmakers to restrict winning punters. He believed the way the TAB was treating Beirne was fair and reasonable. He would not confirm how many other punters had similar restrictions.

"One of our objectives under the Racing Act is to maintain a profitable wagering system and we need to take that obligation seriously," he said.

"There will be clients who have better information than us, or who are better than us, that we will need to put limits on."

Yeah, he was allowed to net $2k on a bet, wonder what it is now?

Would like TAB to advise how many are actually restricted in Nz!

$2k on any bet would be far better than Brodie gets!! 

25 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Well it is legal because it is in their terms and conditions.

Ethical? Most people would say no but I am not sure you would win in a court of law. I would like to see someone try it though.

So because it is in their rules, it is acceptable?

So if I ran a business and had on my wall that I dont sell to 20 year old Asian women, that would be legal?

Yeah/nah!

you can not legally treat people differently, which is what the TAB does!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Brodie said:

So because it is in their rules, it is acceptable?

Their rules are covered by the Racing Act which is part of NZ Law.

So you are probably fighting the Govt on this not and not TAB/Entain.

You can quite clearly see by the final two lines on the Stuff story that they are clearly hiding behind the Racing Act when administering restrictions.

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I always found it a bit of a joke that all punters are limited to $500k in winnings a day!  Is it more now?  All the weird and wonderful losing $1 multi's that punters have to adjust to just tick in under $500k.

Yes capped to 1 million

Million.JPG

• Haha 1