Bit Of A Yarn

When will these AWT's take off? Awapuni trials cancelled... 23-04-2024

The trough is a problem or could be. Entain probably don't care if they drive NZ revenue or drive revenue for Laddies and Neds. All the same for them but not for TABNZ and NZ racing stakes. Just saying.

5 hours ago, Doomed said:

. Is this because Entain sees the gallops as providing product for their overseas markets?

The whole thing seems hard to analyse at the moment. 

It be interesting to be privy to the information be feed to Winnie!! 

Have Internal Affairs published much re Racing lately?

re those extra meetings, perhaps so KPI can be meet and paid out. as a measure of 'growth' happening?

17 minutes ago, curious said:

The trough is a problem or could be. Entain probably don't care if they drive NZ revenue or drive revenue for Laddies and Neds. All the same for them but not for TABNZ and NZ racing stakes. Just saying.

So are you "Just saying" that after 5 years...?

15 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

re those extra meetings, perhaps so KPI can be meet and paid out. as a measure of 'growth' happening?

Though that won't do much for the average starter number KPI will it?

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So are you "Just saying" that after 5 years...?

I think if anything like the projected revenue growth comes within that time frame it won't be from TABNZ revenue from NZ racing. And unless it comes from elsewhere, we could see stakes halved from then. Just saying.

26 minutes ago, curious said:

I think if anything like the projected revenue growth comes within that time frame it won't be from TABNZ revenue from NZ racing. And unless it comes from elsewhere, we could see stakes halved from then. Just saying.

So the suits at TABNZ and NZTR, HRNZ and GRNZ need to get their shyte together.  Sharrock is missing in action!  As for HRNZ...  GRNZ... I can't name them to say they are MIA!

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Sharrock is missing in action! 

Yes, didn't seem to be any explanation of that on Weigh In this week when he was on. I wondered if he might have been canvassing for jockey agencies to build his sports management business.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes, didn't seem to be any explanation of that on Weigh In this week when he was on. I wondered if he might have been canvassing for jockey agencies to build his sports management business.

I saw the Troika together at Elleslie recently.  George, Sharrock and that Entain guy.

14 hours ago, curious said:

Though that won't do much for the average starter number KPI will it?

lol, I'm sure sort of thing can be fudged somehow....  until proven otherwise, I recon at is at least even money, its still all 'moving chairs around on the titanic'.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, but perhaps a programming issue rather than an AWT one. The CJC get insufficent noms to run an open 1600 for 40k on Thursday and 8 noms for the 40k open 1200. Yet, they get 32 for the 65 1600, enough to divide it and 26  for the 65 1200, enough for a consolation race. Is the programming team not talking to trainers re demand or what the hell is going on?

Another question is why do they can without leaving open, the 1600 open with 7 noms and not the 1200 with 8 noms?

4 hours ago, curious said:

Interesting, but perhaps a programming issue rather than an AWT one. The CJC get insufficent noms to run an open 1600 for 40k on Thursday and 8 noms for the 40k open 1200. Yet, they get 32 for the 65 1600, enough to divide it and 26  for the 65 1200, enough for a consolation race. Is the programming team not talking to trainers re demand or what the hell is going on?

Another question is why do they can without leaving open, the 1600 open with 7 noms and not the 1200 with 8 noms?

Surely they didn't scrap a race with 7 noms? They run 5 and 6 horse fields regularly in the NI. Just last Saturday they happily ran a $40,000 race at New Plymouth with 5 acceptors and 4 starters. Surely the local trainers would kick up a hell of a stink if they saw a race with 7 original noms dumped without even waiting to see if there were any extras forthcoming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doomed said:

Surely they didn't scrap a race with 7 noms? They run 5 and 6 horse fields regularly in the NI. Just last Saturday they happily ran a $40,000 race at New Plymouth with 5 acceptors and 4 starters. Surely the local trainers would kick up a hell of a stink if they saw a race with 7 original noms dumped without even waiting to see if there were any extras forthcoming.

Yep. They sure did. Had one in it too. We were keen. Ran the open 1600 at Timaru last month with 6 starters. Very random stuff. A months training, track fees etc. and they can the race. Anyway, not for me to worry anymore. After 50 years racing horses in NZ, I'm probably finished for ever this week. Too disillusioned with what is happening or not on so many fronts. Hopefully, we can go out on a good note.

Edited by curious
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Doomed said:

Yeah but the NP race with 4 starters had the CEO horse in the race so it had to be run.

• Like 3

Surely an explanation would be forthcoming if they have run a race at NP with 4 starters and scraped a race in the SI with 7 noms? Sets a hell of a precedent. It is one area in which NZTR are very poor, never offering explanations for some of their decisions.  It reeks of arrogance and contempt for those at the grass roots level. 

I do put a lot of their poorer decisions down to incompetence, but sometimes you do wonder.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, curious said:

Yep. They sure did. Had one in it too. We were keen. Ran the open 1600 at Timaru last month with 6 starters. Very random stuff. A months training, track fees etc. and they can the race. Anyway, not for me to worry anymore. After 50 years racing horses in NZ, I'm probably finished for ever this week. Too disillusioned with what is happening or not on so many fronts. Hopefully, we can go out on a good note.

That's disappointing.   One less revenue earning horse going round.  Probably more than one as you would have had more in the pipeline.

What say you @TAB For Ever ?  These are coal face problems and they are affecting large numbers of stakeholders.

• Like 2
  • Bad Post 1

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So who makes these decisions at the CJC (Riccarton)?  There has been so many admin changes I'm not sure how the stake funding works.  Surely the CJC isn't bulk funded?

Don't get me wrong. I'd already let my trainer know it was the horse's last run, win, lose or draw. This just adds meat to the reasons for that decision.

Interesting to see a couple of decent horses out of their class in the rating 75 1,400m, including a Te Akau horse. I presume they were moved there. I can't imagine Te Akau sent a decent horse down to run in a 75 carrying 70 odd kilos.

Edited by Doomed

33 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Interesting to see a couple of decent horses out of their class in the rating 75 1,400m, including a Te Akau horse. I presume they were moved there. I can't imagine Te Akau sent a decent horse down to run in a 75 carrying 70 odd kilos.

Contrary to what some might say I wouldn't think Te Akau were overly happy with the way things are down there. 

36 minutes ago, curious said:

They have the weight to effect some change. The rest of us don't.

It is easy to argue they do have the weight because of the number of horses they have but they have the same issues.  I can imagine the reaction if they did exert their weight and it disadvantaged just ONE small guy once!  Rock and a hard place.  They only way to exert influence is if you ALL get together and exert influence together.  Otherwise the suits hold all the control and power and we can all see how much they know about nothing!!

I was privileged to see an update video for a TA horse in work and it was clearly evident the frustration Mark Walker had with the availability of turf track trials a couple of months back.  Which takes us back to this thread title - AWT trials cancelled because trainers don't won't to trial their horses on them.

• Like 2