Bit Of A Yarn

When will these AWT's take off? Awapuni trials cancelled... 23-04-2024

36 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

ummm, what was that saying about 'Stats and lies"

A few years back I was in discussion with a Prof of Economics (Paul Dalziel, Lincoln Uni) around the 'so called' average wage, He had worked in Stats Dept (or hand some relationship with  them for years and had fought to get that stat being counting.  I think I recall that then 70% of wage earners Didn't get the average!

I'm sure that most that say do earn 70k put in a work week of 40 hours to be earning that wage?

How many hours a week would be needed to run that organisation?

Not counting time in the sponsor tent!!!! :)

ps. https://researchers.lincoln.ac.nz/paul.dalziel

Possibly true. The median is more like 65k for full time workers.

• Like 1

I notice 11 2yos to trial at Timaru this weekend. Really good idea to give them a trialling opportunity on a race day. Mostly from around ChCH so obviously they are keen to trial on the grass. Always seems strange to me that there are no maiden 2yo races in the SI, other than the first race of the season obviously. And only about one open 2yo race a month at this time of year, even fewer earlier on. The NI has maiden 2yo races all the time.

I'm not sure why trainers aren't keen on maiden 2yo races in the South. I always think it looks good on the breeding page for a horse to have won as a 2yo. It would probably also help the early season 3yo races leading into the Guineas if horses got a few 2yo opportunities.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2024 at 3:18 PM, Doomed said:

You do wonder whether they actually put money up each meeting (they very well may do) or whether Tim just gets a free Speights each time he pops in.

Contra's may have their place but nothing replaces hard cold cash for the good of the industry.  A lazy marketing plan.

On 6/4/2024 at 7:56 PM, curious said:

In the TA case, because not enough trainers were willing to pay a membership fee to support it, so now they have little say at all.

I thought membership was a percentage of your training percentage so, the more successful you are the more you pay.

On 6/4/2024 at 10:06 PM, curious said:

Their primary objective is: "We provide connectivity with the community of thoroughbred racehorse owners" but as an owner, I have never been contacted by them in the last decade. Nor have any of the thousands of small share owners in the likes of the Te Akau syndicates that I have spoken to. 

I have been contacted, as has my fellow winning owner.  They called her "Mr", the lack of research she thought poor.  I couldn't see the value of my donation.  Apart from owning a horse I don't feel I'd have a lot in common with owners of today.

This group seems quite like others trying to bolster membership.  Send an email or post a brochure, then leave it to the gods.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, curious said:

Anyone spotted the trial fields for Riccarton tomorrow? Seems to have mysteriously disappeared off the calendar but no notice from NZTR to date.

Moved to Thursday?  Same day as the race meeting.  My guess is not enough entries.  Which begs the question if you are a trainer ready to trial why not pitch up and throw your hand at getting some stakes money?

41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Moved to Thursday?  Same day as the race meeting.  My guess is not enough entries.  Which begs the question if you are a trainer ready to trial why not pitch up and throw your hand at getting some stakes money?

Fair point. It's not like the maiden fields are oversubscribed and you'd need starting points, though some will need trials for education. Also begs the question what the inept programmers are doing programming synthetic trials when there is little trainer demand.

13 minutes ago, curious said:

Fair point. It's not like the maiden fields are oversubscribed and you'd need starting points, though some will need trials for education. Also begs the question what the inept programmers are doing programming synthetic trials when there is little trainer demand.

Well they are up against it when the CD trainers didn't want the AWT in the first place.  Some very very good horsemen (persons) in that group.

I know it is easy to rant about this BS on an internet forum... but when are those in charge going to fix it?  For the life of me I just don't get it.  I talk to more people that have skin in the game (calluses) than I do administrators and the former are so frustrated whereas the administrators are spinning shyte!

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you don't give them that much credit?

No I don't. They've ignored the issue for years and it goes back to well before the AWT's were even mooted, though that seems to have worsened the programming issues along with the persistence with tiered racing as it is currently structured.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I know it is easy to rant about this BS on an internet forum... but when are those in charge going to fix it?  For the life of me I just don't get it.  I talk to more people that have skin in the game (calluses) than I do administrators and the former are so frustrated whereas the administrators are spinning shyte!

The administration have a set period of time in the sport, they achieve a couple of things then sit on their laurels until they see the heat around the corner.

This administration are going to applaud themselves for the Entain deal & throw in a bit of horse welfare for good measure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

No I don't. They've ignored the issue for years and it goes back to well before the AWT's were even mooted, though that seems to have worsened the programming issues along with the persistence with tiered racing as it is currently structured.

Pam beat me to it. We don't really have tiered racing. I do know what you mean though.

31 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Pam beat me to it. We don't really have tiered racing. I do know what you mean though.

Yes, that was my point really. Keep the premier level and merge the industry and feature levels into one, with stakes adjusted accordingly. That would be a start to sorting the programming issues and wouldn't cost a cent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

Yes, that was my point really. Keep the premier level and merge the industry and feature levels into one, with stakes adjusted accordingly. That would be a start to sorting the programming issues and wouldn't cost a cent.

Proper tiered racing doesn't cost anything, but sadly most of those running the show have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

A priority for this year in the SOI.

One of the 5 main focus areas is "ACHIEVING SUSTAINABLE REVENUE GROWTH"

Under that, a key strategy is:

• Develop a flexible and responsive strategic planning process to optimise race programming, pattern races and stakes in order to maximise wagering revenue.

I wonder where they are at with that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Doomed said:

Proper tiered racing doesn't cost anything, but sadly most of those running the show have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Why do we need any tiers?  We don't actually have a huge horse population and simplifying everything would be a better option.  

In my opinion the quality of our fields doesn't change because of the day of the week or the amount of stakes being paid other than at Black Type level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why do we need any tiers?  We don't actually have a huge horse population and simplifying everything would be a better option.  

In my opinion the quality of our fields doesn't change because of the day of the week or the amount of stakes being paid other than at Black Type level.

You are right to some extent Chief, but in a sense that is because the tiered racing isn't well thought out. When I have a moment I will share some thoughts.

• Like 1