Bit Of A Yarn

Cup Day Fields

Portfolio

Guest CrossCodes

Agree. You used to get the best of the north and the best of the deep southerners emerging to take on the Canterbury stables, now it's just another average meeting, although there are a couple of good trotting races on the card.

Edited by CrossCodes

Jewels day has somewhat overshadowed cup day now, same as Auckland cup night now a pretty hohum affair.  What has gone wrong?? To many horses being sold before they reach their Mark in nz? Australia seems to have the same problem though lack of a super star... and if the horses Lazarus was Racing against are the best the u.s has to offer it must be pretty dire there as well!!

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hesi said:

It just mirrors what has happened in thoroughbred.  Cup races and Group WFA racing is now a yawn.

Still getting very good horses coming along, but they just get sold off

Quite right hesi glory days of thoroughbreds here have gone, I could name loads of stars from the 80s in both codes, but nothing sticks now, prize money and tracks have been neglected especially in thoroughbred racing. 

• Like 1

Why would Auckland horses come down for the Cup Meeting when there week in week out stakes are near the same . Cup supporting races stakes are an embarrassment .

Then the lead up Cup races for up to full open class races are a huge embarrassment. Why race in the Maurice Holmes Vase for $14,000 odd . ATC rating 50 run for more !!

Edited by LongOwner
  • Like 1

1983, last race of the day on cup day, just a c6-7 nice field of horses to end the day.. the whole meeting was Wall to Wall good horses cup day/show day. I can't remember a cup carnival growing up that wasn't stacked full of really good horses. Plenty of value with good quality fields back then

Screenshot_20181109-080517.png

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 1

And if you adopt an average inflation rate of the 35 years then allowing nothing for growth or extraordinary cost increases about average inflation the stake should be ;

5% p.a average: $28,900

6% p.a average: $39,900

7% etc               : $54,900

Worth remembering in the mid 80 and part 90’s we had inflation well into double digit.

Someone give us what is $5,500 in 1983 worth now .

oh my gawd, 

MYTOP SWEETIE, was a big winner for me back in the early 8os, 

$ 1 treble,  five horses in the first leg including

REGGAE (Lordship, first starter) anchored BASIL DEAN in the trot and anchored MYTOP SWEETIE in the last, 

I was a big O'Reilly fan at the time,  paid more than $ 2,000 I think, fudgng hell, did we get wasted that weekend ... :) 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

was it an exchange treble back then

Negative, walked from the farm down to Swanson shops and rang the TAB.

Have had a phone account from 1979  ...  :) 

the phone account was great, but having teletext on my TV was really the magic ....

Edited by Mk2_Zephyr
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, LongOwner said:

That appears low versus the 80- 90’s inflation/interest rates for that period but maybe that is all it is today .

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

House probably a bad example considering how out of control that market is, but you would have thought as a base on a huge premier meeting $50,000 or 10x what they raced for in 1983. 

House prices is a bad example for inflation FU. 

House prices are a closer to rampant inflation in a banana republic....when a bread loaf costs $50 000 000 lol

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 6:56 AM, LongOwner said:

Why would Auckland horses come down for the Cup Meeting when there week in week out stakes are near the same . Cup supporting races stakes are an embarrassment .

Then the lead up Cup races for up to full open class races are a huge embarrassment. Why race in the Maurice Holmes Vase for $14,000 odd . ATC rating 50 run for more !!

In the interests of accuracy Longowner,  the Maurice Holmes Vase is actually worth $30,000.  I think perhaps the race you were referring to was the Thermo King pace which was run on Friday 2nd Nov for a stake of around $14,000.

Apart from that race, most of the open class lead up races in Canterbury  have been worth around $30,000 plus.

I  am sure that the Met would like to put on higher stakes for the supporting races on Cup Day but the reality is that money has to come from somewhere and I wouldn't like to see other stakes reduced to supplement supporting races on Cup Day.

Also worth noting the support races on Auckland Cup night are $20,000.    

I am as critical of the Met as anyone when it comes to things they do I don't agree with,  but I think we have to cut them some slack over supporting races on Cup Day.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:06 PM, Newmarket said:

How good is this field of trotters that started cup day a few years back. 

720A9147-00FF-490B-8B5D-3B7519C64392.jpeg

Right, although it's worth keeping in mind they didn't have the Dominion to back up to on Show Day in 1997 (it wasn't until the following Friday). This year's equivalent would look pretty decent too if all those holding their fire for Friday were added back in.