Bit Of A Yarn

Auckland Trotting Club bans drivers from talking to each other on track

Taku Umanga

There's a reference to Santa in this 'newsletter'...maybe a more appropriate indicator of this crap would have been ' April Fools' ?

What a lot of bullshit, next thing they'll be saying..' no looking at each other when on the track or there might be inappropriate winking...or something like that..?

Actually I say good on the ATC. 

If our industry is to thrive it needs to become much more professional, and this is part of that.   Perception is important and even though drivers talking to each other on the track is quite innocent 99.9% of the time it can still be a bad look,  particularly in the eyes of newcomers to the sport.  

Also, good on the ATC for making the horses parade in numerical number before going out on the track. 

Horses are our product and I think sometimes they are too far removed from the public.   Going back to when I started following the sport,they always paraded in the birdcage before a race.  Now days, especially around Canterbury,  too often they go straight from the stables onto the track.  The public who want a good close up look at the horses don't get a chance.

What other industry tries to put barriers between its customers and it's product.

I hope the Met follows suit, although it won't be easy since they did away with the birdcage years ago.

I fuly support this measure taken by the A.T.C.,  and i want to see it implimented by the whole industry.

I also want to see cellphones/smart phones bannedfrom being carried by the drivers too!

I saw a driver talking on his phone at a West Coast christmas New Year meeting..he was one of the favourites and went on to Breakup  at the start!

1 hour ago, Turny said:

Just shows you that the perception is that the game is rigged - what a surprise - not

There has always been that public perception, ever since I started following Harness in the mid 60,s, when they were as bent as a dogs hind leg.

I think it as admiral idea and good on the ATC. Never mind you naysayers who would be the first to jump up and down if your horse carrying your hard earned money was "tampered " with by skulduggery.