Bit Of A Yarn

TAB Massive 4 full page advt in Otago Daily TImes

Murray Fish

25 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Yeah catching all that on podcasts.  Leaves me flat but I guess it's not aimed at me.  Absolutely kills a good song,  Reminds me of the America's Cup and Dave Dobbyn's Loyal

But who are they aiming at?  The song was a hit in the movie Love Actually in 2003 i.e. 20 years ago.  

I like the song and try to sing it in the shower much to everyone's cringe.  But I'm hooked already on racing.

I have no idea. I seem to remember that it was an actual hit long before that (in fact I did a Google Search and) "Love Is All Around" is a song recorded by English rock band the Troggs. Released as a single in October 1967, it was a top-ten hit in both the UK and US. 

It is a lie of course to say that they have an existing new app - as existing customers know and new customers will find out.  So it's all well and good to have an advertising splurge but if your product is substandard it won't matter.  That is, you're shining up shit and calling it gold.

25 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But who are they aiming at?  The song was a hit in the movie Love Actually in 2003 i.e. 20 years ago.  

I like the song and try to sing it in the shower much to everyone's cringe.  But I'm hooked already on racing.

1994 Four Weddings and a Funeral.

One of my favourite karaoke songs then. The Wet Wet Wet version. However, even Wet Wet Wet got so sick of it, they withdrew it from sale when it was still selling 120,000 copies a week. A very odd choice for a TAB ad I thought, especially if trying to appeal to a contemporary audience who probably never even heard of it.

17 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

The song was first recorded by The Troggs in 1967 and was a number One Hit

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bloke said:

The song was first recorded by The Troggs in 1967 and was a number One Hit

It only got to 5 on the charts.

The Wet Wet Wet version, with slightly altered lyrics made it to No.1 in 1994 for 15 weeks.  They were asked to cover it for a movie.  Its rise in the charts no doubt helped by the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral directed by Mike Newall.  One of the UK's top directors whose best movie (in his words) was filmed in Hokitika on the West Coast in 1983.

• Like 1