NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

How well do we sell our industry

Westview

4 hours ago, the galah said:

duane ranger harness racing is what you google to read his stories. 

he wrote a nice story on a regular redcliffe patron a month ago. "Rest in peace thelma copeland". The redcliffe club named a race after her this month.

That story just an illustration of how ranger is able to put into words and paint a picture of harness racing intertwining with every day peoples lives.

People who provide the industry with content like that are few and far between.And their importance seeminngly undervalued in some quarters.

Rangers connection to grass roots harness enthusiasts is a natural and instinctive thing ,sort of similar to  nigel armstrong but in a different form.So few of those media type left anywhere so the industry should be promoting as much exposure as they can from them,while they can.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the galah said:

i like your stories like the redcliffe one.

Redcliffe has their  very own harness reporter ,duane ranger,father of leading auckland junior monika.

duane ranger has developed into perhaps the best media harness story teller in australasia in my opinion. I know we have barrry lichter who is very good,but ranger seems to have free range of what and how long his articles are and by the end of reading them, you feel like you know the person they are talking about and some of their lifes journey.

his latest couple of articles are about a trainer who had a recent redcliffe winner and who's first brush with harness racing was when his father used to work the door at harold park. Every time hondo gratten won tony turnbull would tip his father and it helped his family.

The other m,ost recent article was about 2 mates who are redcliffe regulars who are going through on going cancer treatment and how they appreciate harness racing.

I knew duane ranger earlier in life and used to play a little sport with him occasionally and he was always a great guy and has turned into a great story teller.Just keeps getting better.

duane ranger harness racing is what you google to read his stories. He often has stories on ex new zealanders. phill keats was a recent one from memory.He was a junior driver who worked for dick prendegast back in the days along with roy purdon,john lischner and paul hadfield.

yes , I sent him an e-mail to congratulate when Monika won her first race. Not sure exactly why he in Brissy and her over there, but should meet up with him one day and find out.  Probably the lovely weather lol 😎?. nice 29 degrees today .

beautiful horses training weather. Don't know how they do it at those freezing looking places like Woodend beach in Nigels video's . they (the workers) look completely miserable with 10 layers of coats on. 😂. don't think we even bothered getting a jumper out in winter in Brisvegas . made clothes washing loads very easy anyway 😁. Albion Park was terrific to train on as well. not as much sand in your face like at Woodend Lol. The SI kiwis are very tough. No wonder the nice NZ bred horses are so tough. 💪

A couple of horses from Southland arriving once , had over 2 Inch long coats of hair !!😳 never seen anything like it . more like a yak . The local breds here barely grow any length at all , so never had to clip them . sometimes would clip the manes off if tangling in gear I spose. 

here's an old snap I found warming one up around Albion Park, before a solid hit-out.  could be winter as that is all year round attire lol.  

DSC03266.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Not sure exactly why he in Brissy and her over there

I remember him being with Harnesslink and I think he took up a contract with HRNZ which didn't last. So he upped stumps and moved to Brissy and after a tricky start he has flourished.

He is tenacious and as cricket fan and player I could see Geoff Boycott being his hero. 

Edited by Rangatira
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Gammalite said:

just a 'bit of yarn', bit of a yarn stuff lol 😄

as it should be! :) with thanks! 

20 hours ago, Gammalite said:

actually is so quiet at...

@Wingatui recently, a  nice day, I recon there might have been 50 people pass around the Public area! I recon I spoke to 49 :)  

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/27/2024 at 3:57 PM, Gammalite said:

😎?.  😁.  

here's an old snap I found warming one up around Albion Park, before a solid hit-out.  could be winter as that is all year round attire lol.  

DSC03266.JPG

For a moment I thought that picture was taken at Forbury Park but the shorts and tee shirt quickly blew that theory apart.😁

Edited by mikeynz

I was driving around today and saw one of those v shaped advertising signs on wheels that seem to pop up on empty sections next to roads that have a heavy traffic flow.The ones that seem easy to relocate if you wanted to and are about 5m wide.

and i thought well why doesn't hrnz or addington invest in 3 or 4 of those for display in christchurch or wherever.

Once again they would display racenight and have the display broken into 3 parts,the horses in a finish,the winning trainer and driver(helmet off),and the winning owners. It would have the race sponsor visible across the bottom.

each display unit would have different photos displayed and they would be replaced each 2-3 months with more recent photos of winners.Which ones to be displayed,maybe drawn out of a hat involving each race run over the previous couple of months or of the race named after the business where its displayed.The only cost would be the initial building of display unit and the photos displayed thereon.

the key would be to have them transported to businesses with space outside that are next to areas that have high road or foot traffic. Each month or two they would be moved to a new location so as to get around the city and so new people see them.Maybe sometimes placed on new subdivisions with current vacant land next to busy roads if developer agrees. Heaps of possibilities.

In return the businesses displaying them would have naming rights to a race,ride in a mobile,half priced meal tickets one night at the races,told of the exposure they get from naming a race ,whatever it is clubs do for sponsors.

the whole point would be to embed in the psyche of the masses that harness racing is part of their everyday activities that occur within the communities they live in. Its there,its fun,etc.its people like them that are involved.

The gambling side is not the focus,it is the people and the horses.Also its about promoting community involvement through sponsorship.The blue september thing is something that would fit easliy into the billboards displays.Displays to show cross section of people,male and female,young and old.

Edited by the galah