Bit Of A Yarn

FFA at Addington only 5 noms?

Brodie

I note that the free for all at Addington on Friday night only has 5 nominations.

2 from the AllStars, 2 from Robert Dunn and 1 from Greg and Nina Hope.

The stake is just under $15k over 1980m

Would doubt that they will run the race unless there are more starters, which begs the question where are all the other horses?

Yes Auckland is on but seriously there is a shortage of good class horses around throughout most of the year!

The dominance of one stable in all the classic races is coming home to roost and won’t get any better will this continues to occur.

Why would you bother shelling out big money at the yearling sales when you know that you are never going to win enough money to make it pay?

Yes I realise some will come on and say that it is up to all the other trainers to up their game, but we all know that it is not going to make much difference.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

46 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

but really it is up to all the other trainers to up their game

But if you don't have the skill then you simply can't. Add in the most important ingredient which is good horse flesh then it is not possible to up your game to such an elite athlete which is the All Stars.

It is like the 100th ranked tennis player taking on Roger Federer. It just isn't going to happen.

• Champ Post 1

5 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

But if you don't have the skill then you simply can't. Add in the most important ingredient which is good horse flesh then it is not possible to up your game to such an elite athlete which is the All Stars.

It is like the 100th ranked tennis player taking on Roger Federer. It just isn't going to happen.

Absolutely, there is no antidote, unless some very wealthy person supports a young trainer with expensive horse flesh, but for now the Aussies are going to get our well trained tier 2 horses and turn them into their particular states superstars.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think some trainers do have similar skills to match  purdon and rasmussen.   I think they are the best, however I think their level of success compared with other top trainers is not an accurate reflection of any difference in ability or knowledge.. 

Edited by the galah

17 minutes ago, the galah said:

I think some trainers do have similar skills to match  purdon and rasmussen.   I think they are the best, however I think their level of success compared with other top trainers is not an accurate reflection of any difference in ability or knowledge.. 

Ok.....

The difference being?

Personally, the difference for me is the superior ability to extract the most out of a horse.

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Ok.....

The difference being?

Personally, the difference for me is the superior ability to extract the most out of a horse.

Many reasons. They are able to tap into many resources which make their horses run faster. No doubt they have the best facilities,tracks,staff,massagers,feeding routines,vets,etc,etc.  Then factor in the drivers. They have top drivers who only ever drive against the opposition.not against each other.   But those factors are not all that is needed to achieve their dominance.As I have stated before, I believe the stable are ahead of the game when it comes to the use of performance enhancers . I believe that is an integral part of their success. 

I do not envy them. I am not an all star hater. I have no grudge to bear,i often back them.   There is a lot to admire and aspire to in the all stars.  

I think the current handicapping system actually has helped the perception of the all stars. You don't get people complaining about having to run against the all star 8 win c1 horses like border control anymore,with their 1 win horse. 

That's what I believe. Take it or leave it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

5 noms while the Rangiora grass track meeting is overflowing....

Grass tracks always much better racing. Better odds, bigger fields, one stable does not dominate, even the top drivers can not control the races on grass from the front. In saying that the higher graded races still lacking horse flesh even on grass. Geraldine Cup only 8 runners. Methven green mile only 6.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Ok.....

The difference being?

I disagree partly. One major difference is the ability to discard those horses that do not show enough aptitude or potential, and still have enough stock left with the ability to win majors. That one thing is not afforded the majority of trainers. 

I agree with Galah on the point of other trainers having similar skills and knowledge,just not the Empire the Purdons have built up.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2