Bit Of A Yarn

Justin Evans

boobybec

26 minutes ago, boobybec said:

I see this poor fella copping a fair bit of flack for his calling.  Personally I reckon he does a good job, shows a fair bit of enthusiasm.

Much better than Aaron (all dressed up nowhere to go) White.  And as for Cam Shaw, hmm least said his dulcet tones the better .... 

He has certainly grown on me, and I quite like Justin evens.... Aarons calls are very predictable and a bit monotone now although he seems a nice guy .

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I watched that race last night and felt it was cringe at the upper end of the scale. I was going to put up a thread about it but got side tracked so it was uncanny to see this thread.

I've got no issue with a caller getting a bit excited when appropriate but I felt his raising of the volume was totally contrived. He was waiting for what he deemed the right moment to unleash what he'd been practicing.  As F U rightly said, it was Tony Lee..... at his worst. The fact he went the early crow was good for a giggle but the end result was the universe telling him to calm the fark down. I would also have expected someone with experience at Manawatu to realize the Mike Berger runner had almost certainly got up. The margin was half a head. Will give him a free pass on that but felt he was more hoping Khal Drogo had hung on so he either didn't look even more foolish for his call or he was calling via his wallet. Either way it was average at best.

Can you imagine Justin Evans calling Niatross at The Meadowlands? He would have had a myocardial infarction. 

I've heard a few of his calls and he's improving but last night was several steps in the wrong direction. I hope it's not a sign of things to come. We need a replacement harness caller in the North. Many are so over the Nick Name Man with his obsequious antics of trying to train punters into calling Todd Mitchell, The Wizard, Tony H the Ice Man, Maurie Mac the Magic Man and the worst one of the lot, David Butcher, The Chief. WTF is that about anyway?  Why not call him Elvis Presley or Vladimir Putin during the call?  It has about as much relevance as The Chief 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Joe Kidd said:

We need a replacement harness caller in the North. Many are so over the Nick Name Man with his obsequious antics of trying to train punters into calling Todd Mitchell, The Wizard, Tony H the Ice Man, Maurie Mac the Magic Man and the worst one of the lot, David Butcher, The Chief. WTF is that about anyway?  Why not call him Elvis Presley or Vladimir Putin during the call?  It has about as much relevance as The Chief 

Vladimir-the rat catcher,i think that would catch on if he ever took up race driving ...."Never corner a rat"

personally I think mr evans does a good job. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

got 2 feel for them racing there poor stakes and poor horses

Very sad, there is alot of good trotting history in South Australia, with the crap stakes you wonder why the the top trainers and drivers don't move to Victoria, south Australia cup now only worth $60,000, used to be a$100,000+ race and I think part of the grand circuit... more talent on offer at palmy on a Tuesday afternoon!

• Champ Post 1