Bit Of A Yarn

What’s doing? 60k and 7 starters???

Brodie

2 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

The one thing I don't like is one barn having so many runners in a big race it just opens up the team driving aspect too much for me..lead trail stable mate.. passing Lane  ..your in a no win situation if you have a horse in the race, your fighting a team of horses not  individual horses. I'll get hammered for this,  but I see it all the time in classic races and not many big races excite me anymore apart from the square gaiters. One thingI would love to see is the passing Lane done away with....lead and hand up so meekly would become redundant, the pressure would be on all the time and drivers would have to start thinking rather than taking the easy option.

Interesting perspective and with some merit Flagship.

Small moments during races almost always end in big moments at the end of the race. I'm not a big fan of multiple family members driving in the same race. It leaves the door wide open to less competitive driving at key moments which influence the outcome.

Here's a hypothetical example. I own a horse in the Derby. It's drawn badly so dropping back and looping the field for a better position at a later stage if the race is the prudent action. When to move is absolutely critical. If a dominant stable at the sharp end refuse to surrender position, I'm left posted and it's race and dream over. I know that and the dominant stable know that. It's huge and my seasons plans can go down the shitter in seconds.

The dominant stable however don't have that enormous dilemma especially if they have multiple runners. One will generally hand up without the normally very competitive driver not even batting an eye lid. The result of the race was decided right there. It's a massive advantage over the other runners. 

In the 1980's Roy and BP used their numerical advantage to bully other contenders in open class races, especially any contender who was a threat to their dominance. If you doubt that, go ask the connections of Franco Ice and Dillon Dean etc. Using one of your multiple runners as a sacrificial lamb was routine. I have a catalog of races in mind where the sacrificial lamb ran a distance behind the field but safe in the knowledge the stablemate managed to nab the threat to the stable dominance late in the race. Hardly a level playing field. Thankfully we are at least spared this sort of activity these days.     

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

19 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:
45 minutes ago, Joe Kidd said:

Feature race meetings have become an All Stars benefit day

Kinda reminds me when Tiger Woods dominated golf.  They started tinkering with longer golf courses as he hit it to far, changing balls ,etc  just to slow him down.

Does AS dominance mean we will have to change the rules( a maximum no of horses from one barn per race)or racecourse(ie no passing lane)layouts. Etc

Im with Joe on admiring and respecting what they do, however Empires do come to an end eventually.

Hopefully there will be something left to resurrect when it happens

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Brodie said:

Or is it that the almighty AllStars horses have scared all the other ones off and can not be bothered running for 5th at best????

Yes I think this is the reason and it is going to continue to happen continually when the bigger money is up!!!

Yes  I have brought this up at least once before but if you don’t think that this domination is going to permanently stuff harness racing in NZ, you have got your head in the sand!!

Owners and trainers have had an absolute gutsful of the current situation and I can tell you now, that feature racing in NZ is in serious trouble over the next couple of years!!

now i can't recall you having a solution for this, if you do can you please share it with us all.

19 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

It just reminds me of how Godolphin dominated racing in the UK when I lived There, punters and trainers were particularly peeved off that they were allowed to run a pace maker in the race to give their horses the tempo they needed, the pacemakers normally dropped out at the 2or 3 furlong mark when their job was done.

5 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Predictable result, turn it up leads, hands up to the fixer, then an Aaron white special, turn it up fills his hopples on the passing Lane...this son of wahhh wahh having his 10th start wahhh wahhh while we all wait 5 minutes for Aaron to call home 2nd, 3rd and 4th!!

Not surd turn it up will have early gate speed....might be a couple others try for lead early....then take trail behind fav.....I think it could be trickery race

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kakama said:

Not surd turn it up will have early gate speed....might be a couple others try for lead early....then take trail behind fav.....I think it could be trickery race

Who really cares, yawn fest and no money to be made

Maiden races will be more interesting

Edited by Brodie
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Just watching race again, Natalie didn't seem interested in getting NZ cup winner into the race, usually a very aggressive driver

Haven't see the race for numerous reasons. One was I just can't stomach the caller.

If there is a question about potential dubious driving, I always ask if any said horse would have been driven differently had it been the sole stable representative in the race. If the answer is absolutely yes, it turns my blood cold.

Same situation applies to horses handing up very meekly to a stablemate. If the leader would have fought tooth and nail to retain the lead if it was a non stable challenger but gifts the lead in a contrived manner to a stablemate, i put my cue back in the rack and walk away from the meeting. Many of these "races" are all about controlling every aspect of the event and stablemates are routinely used to ensure that is the status quo. These events are closer to a farce than an actual race. 

• Like 1