Bit Of A Yarn

Horse Names

Happy Sunrise

I remember a long time being inspired by a horse called 'Girl Called Destiny'

It is just these days I don't see any real cool names. A lot just don't resonate as the imagination is lacking. I think the All Stars name their horses well. Always liked the names Cool Hand Luke and Young Rufus.

Personally, I used to like Mr Bojangles as a name and horse so I would love to name a horse Sammy Dee Junior. After the legend himself.

Does anybody have any favourite names of yesteryear or maybe what they would like to call a horse in the future? Sadly, I will never get the chance.

7 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I remember a long time being inspired by a horse called 'Girl Called Destiny'

It is just these days I don't see any real cool names. A lot just don't resonate as the imagination is lacking. I think the All Stars name their horses well. Always liked the names Cool Hand Luke and Young Rufus.

Personally, I used to like Mr Bojangles as a name and horse so I would love to name a horse Sammy Dee Junior. After the legend himself.

Does anybody have any favourite names of yesteryear or maybe what they would like to call a horse in the future? Sadly, I will never get the chance.

I used to like these horses and names.. wooden heart,..win a bottle, Mr woodchips, Mr square, Templar, stortfordlodge, sleepy Baker, battleship, grand slam, poplar country, frosty Lobell, frosty Lopez, sharvid skipper, rain girl, sugar Ray Robinson, palefacetryax........I also used to love anything with an Evander, Hanover or Lobell on the end of it.

• Like 1

I don't know whether it was cool or not, but Noodlum, of course, was almost certainly the most "famous" horse name in NZ for a very long time.

Personally though, I always liked the story — probably apocryphal — about a horse called Old Fellow (or some such) immortalised in commentary by Lachie Marshall: "And Old Fellow is trying to push through a gap on the inside." Indeed!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, theshu said:

Had a great  horses name here in brisbane a few years ago,went by the name of Pistol Knight.

I think that was Knight Pistol. Extremely good horse.

We get to vote on our horses names and the majority rules , so it ends up a bit bland (for me anyway). 

My fav which invoked shades of American racing was a horse by the name of T K Scooter. I think it got sold to America in the end as it only had a few starts here. 

" Com,in down the stretch and its T   K   Scootuuurrre  hittin the line in 1.   47.   and   4. "  Lol

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

I think that was Knight Pistol. Extremely good horse.

We get to vote on our horses names and the majority rules , so it ends up a bit bland (for me anyway). 

My fav which invoked shades of American racing was a horse by the name of T K Scooter. I think it got sold to America in the end as it only had a few starts here. 

" Com,in down the stretch and its T   K   Scootuuurrre  hittin the line in 1.   47.   and   4. "  Lol

No it was  definately Pistol Knight  ,trained in Toowoomba.   Galloper

Guest CrossCodes

Rainbow Patch was a favourite of mine, mainly because of her looks with her whiteish mane, but she had a great name as well, was also driven and trained by the late Lorraine Grant, the first woman to drive in a tote race in the South Island and the first woman to drive in the NZ Cup.

One of my favs names and a horse I loved was Basil Dean, fondly known as Basil, who on his day could beat any trotter around. And the greyhound Scott No Money always remined me of my son, happily now he's now doing alright. 

And another well named was Diamond Moose who was bigger then two of them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harewood said:

One of my favs names and a horse I loved was Basil Dean, fondly known as Basil, who on his day could beat any trotter around. And the greyhound Scott No Money always remined me of my son, happily now he's now doing alright. 

And another well named was Diamond Moose who was bigger then two of them. 

Kaikoura cup winner diamond moose, ...a few others with good names Ansett, Amaze, Thriller Dee, Faberge,.....a funny one I remember was a northern horse called Gaelic Bonehead and he did had a very strange nut on him!

• Like 1

I loved a greyhound here in the Waikato called Slug White Bale ... great name :)  he was a lovely black and white dog.

Also like the name Extra Brut .. out of Dom Perion (a Redoubte's Choice mare) .. also redoubt means a temp or supplementary fortification :)  I'd like to think they took that into consideration.

Liked the name  RUNVS     many may remember this lovely mare from years gone by :)

soooo many when you get thinking :)

• Like 1