Bit Of A Yarn

Corey Campbell to HQ, good on the ARC!!

You've got to hand it to the relatively new CEO Pauly i wear sunnies while being interviewed on telly Whatshisname...

...he tries hard...new parade area, free sugar HIGH fizzy drinks for stable staff to keep them fizzed, encourage the Beautiful people along...and definitely no Chinese New Year Celebrations 

And the massive guilt complex when they forgot to include Corey in the App team in January...in case he melt in the North Is. air

Now it's cooler ....HQ have invited Corey for a free working hol this week...

Big ups for that...

Corey has developed an innate sense of patience nowadays...and that's what you get surrounding yourself with salt of the Earth types in the Andertons...

Lets hope he gets solid support from owners and trainers this week at HQ then...

Waste of time the lad going up to Ellerslie.

Just two rides, neither that have any chance.

Retalik, former SI horse that has managed one win at 1000m and has drawn gate 14 at the 1200m. The other Clapathunda, a jumper who last started in the Great Northern Hurdles running over 1600m.

On ‎03‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:15 AM, All The Aces said:

Waste of time the lad going up to Ellerslie.

Just two rides, neither that have any chance.

Retalik, former SI horse that has managed one win at 1000m and has drawn gate 14 at the 1200m. The other Clapathunda, a jumper who last started in the Great Northern Hurdles running over 1600m.

As expected both horses finished last.

Retalik  last, 16 lengths behind the winner and 7.5 lengths behind the 2nd to last horse.

Clapathunda ,  last, 21 lengths behind the winner and 9 lengths behind the 2nd to last horse.

What a complete waste of time that was.

He is still pretty untidy in his riding style and with correction/improvement could be pretty handy. He needs to get away from the South Island where the standard of riding is pretty bad so he can raise his standard. Get him up North with Nigel Tiley or someone of that ilk and the he could be ok.  

Lets hope today's results don't dent his confidence.  

• Like 1

You should have a look at a few of his latest winners down South..top class potential...don't think a couple of rides on Hurdlers will dent him

HQ would have laid it on for him yesterday...luxury suite, dinner, sham pain, connections...

...his eyes would have beeen poking out like goolies when Pauly drove him down K Rd though...

On 30/03/2019 at 9:32 PM, All The Aces said:

As expected both horses finished last.

Retalik  last, 16 lengths behind the winner and 7.5 lengths behind the 2nd to last horse.

Clapathunda ,  last, 21 lengths behind the winner and 9 lengths behind the 2nd to last horse.

What a complete waste of time that was.

He is still pretty untidy in his riding style and with correction/improvement could be pretty handy. He needs to get away from the South Island where the standard of riding is pretty bad so he can raise his standard. Get him up North with Nigel Tiley or someone of that ilk and the he could be ok.  

Lets hope today's results don't dent his confidence.  

Big call to say he needs to move from one BJ Anderton.  I think Mr Anderton will be remembered in NZ racing long after Nigel Tiley has been forgotten.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Big call to say he needs to move from one BJ Anderton.  I think Mr Anderton will be remembered in NZ racing long after Nigel Tiley has been forgotten.

I don't think hat;s the key point, Reefton... the key point is location of the trainer/stable and related opportunities/contacts/meetings ...NGH could help him a lot I'd say, but not when he is based in the bowels of the deep South.

15 minutes ago, Weasel said:

I don't think hat;s the key point, Reefton... the key point is location of the trainer/stable and related opportunities/contacts/meetings ...NGH could help him a lot I'd say, but not when he is based in the bowels of the deep South.

David Walsh is located in the South and presumably regularly has contact with these kids.  He rode a winner or two as well as I recall.  Anyway Tiley was the man mentioned not NGH.  Not that I observe her terribly often but Kate Cowan does not appear to have changed too much under Tiley's tuition.

• Haha 1

I will repeat the paragraph in it's entirety Reefton.

"He is still pretty untidy in his riding style and with correction/improvement could be pretty handy. He needs to get away from the South Island where the standard of riding is pretty bad so he can raise his standard. Get him up North with Nigel Tiley or someone of that ilk and the he could be ok."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

I will repeat the paragraph in it's entirety Reefton.

"He is still pretty untidy in his riding style and with correction/improvement could be pretty handy. He needs to get away from the South Island where the standard of riding is pretty bad so he can raise his standard. Get him up North with Nigel Tiley or someone of that ilk and the he could be ok."

I will repeat the paragraph in its entirety All the Aces

'Big call to say he needs to move from one BJ Anderton.  I think Mr Anderton will be remembered in NZ racing long after Nigel Tiley has been forgotten.'

•  
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

David Walsh is located in the South and presumably regularly has contact with these kids.  He rode a winner or two as well as I recall.  Anyway Tiley was the man mentioned not NGH.  Not that I observe her terribly often but Kate Cowan does not appear to have changed too much under Tiley's tuition.

Must ask the question, how much have the south apprentices improved with him as their mentor, or is he just there on race day.

24 minutes ago, Shad said:

Must ask the question, how much have the south apprentices improved with him as their mentor, or is he just there on race day.

Don't know but mentoring the apprentices is the job he is paid for and far be it from me to question the way he does it.

Guest CrossCodes
27 minutes ago, Shad said:

Well if recent seasons are anything to go by you wouldn’t think he was doing any work with them, the standard of riding in the sth island is worse than it has ever been, just because someone is a top rider themselves it doesn’t necessarily mean they will be a good teacher.

Edited by CrossCodes

1 minute ago, CrossCodes said:

Well if recent seasons are anything to go by you wouldn’t think he was doing any work with them, the standard of riding in the sth island is worse than it has ever been, just because someone is a top rider themselves it doesn’t necessarily mean they will be a good teacher.

That's why I ask, so many say the standard of riding in the south is poor, yet we have one of the best mentors you would think, but I guess he has a fair area to cover. 

4 hours ago, Reefton said:

Don't know but mentoring the apprentices is the job he is paid for and far be it from me to question the way he does it.

Maybe not, but you can certainly question the standard of riding in the South Island. It is very poor. A promising young rider would certainly be better off relocating to upper N Island for better opportunities, more meetings ..no aspersions cast on Mr Anderton or Mr Walsh, outstanding in their profession.. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Maybe not, but you can certainly question the standard of riding in the South Island. It is very poor. A promising young rider would certainly be better off relocating to upper N Island for better opportunities, more meetings ..no aspersions cast on Mr Anderton or Mr Walsh, outstanding in their profession.. 

a promising young riser would be better relocating to bloody Aussie than the North Island.  Just because you get a disproportionate mount of dosh from the NZ industry blown on you lot doesn't mean your racing is any better than ours

• Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, Shad said:

That's why I ask, so many say the standard of riding in the south is poor, yet we have one of the best mentors you would think, but I guess he has a fair area to cover. 

You can NOT teach the art of riding from the ground. You must physically ride alongside a current successful licence holder with experience and model yourself on that person.

8 hours ago, Reefton said:

That well could be, however it won't be as a jockey per se. Mr Anderton will be remembered more so as a trainer, breeder and racing administrator rather than as a jockey other than his claim to fame as the regular rider of Kumai in the 60s. Mr Anderton won 398 as a jockey mainly over the fences in his riding career and this post is no disparagement of the great man.

However Nigel Tiley has infinitely more experience and at international level than Mr Anderton ever had. Nigel Tiley has been a top class jockey in NZ, Sydney, Hong Kong and Singapore. He has also ridden in England and France including the Arc De Triomphe. 

ADVICE: Riding master Nigel Tiley gives Rebecca Scott some advice on her riding position. 

ADVICE: Riding master Nigel Tiley gives Rebecca Scott some advice on her riding position

EXPERT GUIDANCE

The sound of whips cracking shatter the previous quiet and echo off the walls, joining in with the chorus of puffing and creaking.

The students are in the third room of the building which is lined with large mirrors and are riding four pretend horses, complete with bridles and stirrups.

Comfortable in their crouched riding positions, reins in one hand and whip in the other, they are in their element.

They urge their fake mounts on, the harder they work, the faster the sprung horses move.

Riding master Nigel Tiley explains that the horses are used to practice their positions and to increase fitness.

''We'll start to refine their technique, they've all got individual styles. If we see things while watching races, we can see if they are leaning to one side.

''Horses follow your point of balance, so if they are drifting we can get the riders on these horses and watch what they are doing. It's good for straightening out things like that.''

Tiley was an exceptional jockey in his time and spent most of his riding career overseas, including stints in Hong Kong, France and Australia.

He has been training horses since the early 90s and as a trainer he has earned more than $2 million in winnings.

He said since he was a jockey, riding styles have evolved.

''Techniques have changed because they can't use the whip as much as they used to.

''Now it's all about upper body strength. It's definitely changed since my era, whip rules are a lot tighter.''

Once the apprentices are confident they are on track with their positions, Tiley rounds them up into the classroom where he goes over racing recordings with them.

WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE

Eyes are glued to the Stephen McKee apprentice Alyssa Schwerin on screen, who takes a tumble off her mount during a race and is at the mercy of galloping hooves thundering past.

Once they are gone, she quickly  gets up and there is a collective sigh of relief from within the room.

After seeing the video from all angles, Tiley goes over what the students should and should not do if they were to get into a similar situation of running out of space for the horse to move into.

Director of northern apprentice schools Sally Waters said having someone with the wealth of knowledge Tiley has was an asset for the school.

''We have a huge industry support for the school. Nigel was a serious jockey in his day and he comes in to help these guys. We've got a lot of input from a wide range of people because the industry supports bringing in expertise, they are the future of the industry and they need to be looked after.''

12 minutes ago, All The Aces said:

That well could be, however it won't be as a jockey per se. Mr Anderton will be remembered more so as a trainer, breeder and racing administrator rather than as a jockey other than his claim to fame as the regular rider of Kumai in the 60s. Mr Anderton won 398 as a jockey mainly over the fences in his riding career and this post is no disparagement of the great man.

However Nigel Tiley has infinitely more experience and at international level than Mr Anderton ever had. Nigel Tiley has been a top class jockey in NZ, Sydney, Hong Kong and Singapore. He has also ridden in England and France including the Arc De Triomphe. 

ADVICE: Riding master Nigel Tiley gives Rebecca Scott some advice on her riding position. 

ADVICE: Riding master Nigel Tiley gives Rebecca Scott some advice on her riding position

EXPERT GUIDANCE

The sound of whips cracking shatter the previous quiet and echo off the walls, joining in with the chorus of puffing and creaking.

The students are in the third room of the building which is lined with large mirrors and are riding four pretend horses, complete with bridles and stirrups.

Comfortable in their crouched riding positions, reins in one hand and whip in the other, they are in their element.

They urge their fake mounts on, the harder they work, the faster the sprung horses move.

Riding master Nigel Tiley explains that the horses are used to practice their positions and to increase fitness.

''We'll start to refine their technique, they've all got individual styles. If we see things while watching races, we can see if they are leaning to one side.

''Horses follow your point of balance, so if they are drifting we can get the riders on these horses and watch what they are doing. It's good for straightening out things like that.''

Tiley was an exceptional jockey in his time and spent most of his riding career overseas, including stints in Hong Kong, France and Australia.

He has been training horses since the early 90s and as a trainer he has earned more than $2 million in winnings.

He said since he was a jockey, riding styles have evolved.

''Techniques have changed because they can't use the whip as much as they used to.

''Now it's all about upper body strength. It's definitely changed since my era, whip rules are a lot tighter.''

Once the apprentices are confident they are on track with their positions, Tiley rounds them up into the classroom where he goes over racing recordings with them.

WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE

Eyes are glued to the Stephen McKee apprentice Alyssa Schwerin on screen, who takes a tumble off her mount during a race and is at the mercy of galloping hooves thundering past.

Once they are gone, she quickly  gets up and there is a collective sigh of relief from within the room.

After seeing the video from all angles, Tiley goes over what the students should and should not do if they were to get into a similar situation of running out of space for the horse to move into.

Director of northern apprentice schools Sally Waters said having someone with the wealth of knowledge Tiley has was an asset for the school.

''We have a huge industry support for the school. Nigel was a serious jockey in his day and he comes in to help these guys. We've got a lot of input from a wide range of people because the industry supports bringing in expertise, they are the future of the industry and they need to be looked after.''

Tiley a Hall of Famer is he?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Tiley a Hall of Famer is he?

Could well be by the time he turns 80, who knows. How many G1 race winners has Mr Anderton ridden?  

However if I was sending my son to be mentored as a rider I know which one he would be going to. You obviously have your preference.  

Edited by All The Aces

I would have to agree that the standard of riding is a poor as it has ever been down south.

The recent Coast racing was,  overall,  horrid - and not just all apps either.

I asked a rider if he had ever ridden around Hokitika - no,  was the answer.  Had a walk around?  I asked...shrug,  nah,  can't be that different can it..?

Asked my friend Walshy if he had had a chat with said rider...he's ridden around Ellerslie was the reply.

Therein lies much of your problem....that,  language difficulties, and indifferent policing.

A senior local was reprimanded for 'steadying the pace' - this around the corner out of the straight at Reefton...ffs...the winner of that race ran a track record.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Reefton said:

a promising young riser would be better relocating to bloody Aussie than the North Island.  Just because you get a disproportionate mount of dosh from the NZ industry blown on you lot doesn't mean your racing is any better than ours

Reefton, having read your various replies, it seems you are determined to see the Anderton / Tiley comparison as some kind of criticism of Anderton. It's not. ATA (and I, and others) simply are of the view that a move by Corey Campbell to the North Island and Tiley/NGH mentoring would be better than saying in the south. It doesn't matter how many Group 1s Tiley has trained. He  has a superior record as a jockey; the Nth Is has more horses, meeting and opportunities for young jockeys, and the South needs more help from experienced senior jocks a la Walsh  (who cant be everywhere at ones). 

• Like 2