Bit Of A Yarn

2019 Jewels at Addington

Brodie

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

There will be more punters prepared to offload at Addington 1950m than at Ashburton over the mile.

Ashburton track is good for times but as a spectacle when you are oncourse is a bit average, as you are too far away seem there is the galloping track,on the outside.

Think it is a good idea to,go to Addington as it will allow for fairer and better racing if over the 1950m.

Brodie one of the bonus that Ashburton had for the Jewels was that the start was in a great

position,and the horses always parade in the birdcage,bringing the public right to the horses.

Cant see how racing will be fairer at Addington as if you look at history of the Jewels amount of winners from each draw are pretty even,in fact.much more even than Addington over 1950m where the stats are quite poor for 2nd row horses.

Will be interesting to see how betting goes next year compared to Ashburton 3 years ago.Cant compare to last year as tab site was down for half the card.

Time might prove that the right decision has been made but I think this is the death nell for the Jewels,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, globederby12 said:

For those interested there is  an interesting post on the "other "site by The Janitor with an official transcript from the NZHR board and their decision. Kinda feel sorry for Ashburton in a way, but it does make sense when one reads it.

What part makes sense.Spicer has twisted the facts to suit himself.We still have the staff  just not the ones that organised the last Jewels.Doesnt mean it wont be well organised.In fact may be organised better,who knows and guess we never will.Also cant understand how Barry Dent was allowed to vote at board level when he on Addington committee.Surely conflict of interest but mates looking after mates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

So the main reason that Ashburton is losing it next year, is because staff have left the club, and they have doubts about the club organising next years event, over 1 year away?

They saying that but main reason is because Spicer and his Cronies are in the pocket of Addington raceway.They just using that as an excuse to deflect from Addington bullying tactics.The same will happen with Cambridge,i guarantee you that.

Spicer has already said Auckland  will probably put in application for 2020

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

So the main reason that Ashburton is losing it next year, is because staff have left the club, and they have doubts about the club organising next years event, over 1 year away?

Ashburton won't be getting it back anytime soon. 

They could have easily got staff from other racecourses eg Addington to take on the job of running the Jewels at Ashburton. Heavens, the Addington ones organise Cup Week so a one-day event at Ashburton is not going to be too difficult. Doesn't seem like much effort was put into saving it at Ashburton.

• Like 1

Went to the Jewels at Ashburton last year, and wouldn’t say it was a resounding success, 

As you know I hate mile racing, but the thing is as a spectacle it is not flash at Ashburton.

If we want to get new people into racing I beleive you have got a bigger chance racing at Addington Where the population of Chch is so much larger.

The day is extremely heavily subsidised by the racing industry so I think the best venue in NZ should be used to showcase it to the public.

The longer distance would be preferable as well for racing as the mile rate thing is so not worth the paper it is written on nowadays.

Addington has so much more experience coping with the big days and will do a far better job than what Ashburton would do.

Yes I do feel for the Ashburton club but obviously there are things going on that we don’t know about!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

Went to the Jewels at Ashburton last year, and wouldn’t say it was a resounding success, 

As you know I hate mile racing, but the thing is as a spectacle it is not flash at Ashburton.

If we want to get new people into racing I beleive you have got a bigger chance racing at Addington Where the population of Chch is so much larger.

The day is extremely heavily subsidised by the racing industry so I think the best venue in NZ should be used to showcase it to the public.

The longer distance would be preferable as well for racing as the mile rate thing is so not worth the paper it is written on nowadays.

Addington has so much more experience coping with the big days and will do a far better job than what Ashburton would do.

Yes I do feel for the Ashburton club but obviously there are things going on that we don’t know about!

I dont agree Brodie about Addington doing it well.They have forgotten who keeps them going  all round year.

Cup day is just one piss up now and we dont get repeat business from most of the young ones that go there.

15 minutes ago, Richie said:

I dont agree Brodie about Addington doing it well.They have forgotten who keeps them going  all round year.

Cup day is just one piss up now and we dont get repeat business from most of the young ones that go there.

Fair enough regarding the repeat business Richie, and that in itself is a major worry going forward.

If Ashburton club is in turmoil currently then with so much on the line HRNZ have had to make a call.

There is no way that that track should’ve been waterlogged on Saturday.

The Thing is that accommodation supply would be better in Chch as well rather than Ashvegas a,though it is on,y an hour down the road I suppose.

The Jewels needed a revamp and hopefully 1950m at Addington is a start!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Richie said:

I have to be on your side regarding your local track Richie. One question which has been raised is why couldn't Addington have taken over the running the Jewels at Ashburton ?.

The reality of the decision

30 April 2018

By Michael Guerin

The emotion of Ashburton losing the Harness Jewels next season is vastly different from the reality of the decision.

HRNZ voted that the hosting rights for the code’s second biggest day will go to Addington next year after Ashburton has held the South Island-based rights to the meeting since 2007.

Cambridge will hold this season’s meeting, which rotates between the North and South Islands, on June 2 and no decision has been made on the northern host for 2020.

But if Cambridge have a successful meeting this season, and the early indications are very positive, then they will almost certainly retain their hosting rights.

Ashburton losing the Jewels will be an emotional decision for many who believe the  $1.275milion meeting sits better at a provincial track rather than at the major city tracks like Addington.

And that emotion is understandable. Jewels days at Ashburton have produced some magical moments on the best mile racing track in the country.

But off the track the day had started to feel stale, with few new innovations in recent seasons to suggest the day was moving forward.

However it has emerged that is not the reason the Jewels will move to Addington next season, rather it is a glaring hole in the Ashburton club.

The area is a strong hold of New Zealand harness racing but the actual club has no full-time administrator at present.

The club’s long-time boss Fiona Stuart stood down last season because of ill health while her assistant Gareth Murfitt has taken a job at Riccarton.

So there is nobody actually working in the office at Ashburton and while next season’s Jewels are 13 months away it would have been foolish, bordering on a dereliction of duty, if HRNZ has voted to retain the Jewels at a club with effectively no employees apart from a track manager.

Ashburton’s proposal indicated they would employ a project manager to oversee the Jewels for four or five months but most major race clubs in New Zealand start their planning and build-up to their major carnival the day after the last one finished.

To put nearly $1.3million of the industry’s money and its second biggest day after New Zealand Cup day in the hands of a club without a paid employee to start planning immediately would be unprofessional.

HRNZ boss Edward Rennell realises the move will be unpopular is some quarters of the industry although that is nothing new as barely any decision in harness racing these days meets with universal approval.

But he says the door is far from closed on Ashburton hosting Jewels day again.

“The Ashburton club have been through some changes and will obviously go through some more but they have a lot to be proud of over the last decade of holding the Jewels and I hope they come back with a bid for the series in 2021,” said Rennell.

“But we are also lucky as an industry we have Addington coming on board because we know they can run a big event, they don’t come any bigger than New Zealand Cup day.”

The move to Addington will see the first Jewels races run not over the mile distance, with the nine group one races to be staged over 1950m next season as Addington’s mile start point is ridiculous. (MG... AKA Brodie..haha)

Plenty to talk about in Mick Guerin's article.

Hope they keep Cambridge. Can't see Ashburton holding it again once Addington gets it claws into it. 

Tough blaming Ashburton Trotting Club for things being stale off the track when it is the same old thing on it. The sparkle has gone off the day anyway. Why couldn't Cambridge share their innovations if they are being successful for the betterment of the industry? Seems very localised and each to their own devices if Ashburton are not doing well. Where is the central leadership in all this?

• Like 1

It is going to be very interesting to see how the Jewels fields hold up this year!

Are the fields going to be maximum size for the mile start?

Are all the top stake money winners all going to travel from the South Island to race probably only for the one race over 1609m, when they will be running against better horses many classes better than what they are?

Yes I know they get good  appearance money but is it enough for an owner or trainer to risk sending their horse up with little prospect of stake money, and stuffing the horse for immediate racing? 

Yes it is an honour to have a horse race in the Jewels but it is a risk that can have financial consequences if the horse goes no good, then a possible sale could be hindered!

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

It is going to be very interesting to see how the Jewels fields hold up this year!

Are all the top stake money winners all going to travel from the South Island to race probably only for the one race over 1609m, when they will be running against better horses many classes better than what they are?

Yes I know they get good  appearance money but is it enough for an owner or trainer to risk sending their horse up with little prospect of stake money, and stuffing the horse for immediate racing? 

Yes it is an honour to have a horse race in the Jewels but it is a risk that can have financial consequences if the horse goes no good, then a possible sale could be hindered!

C'mon Brods, the Jewels has been run for 11 yrs. Every year horses travel North and South to compete in it, good horses and some not quite at the same level. The point is the owners want a crack at it regardless. I stood by the fence at Ashburton and talked to various owners over a period of time as their horses raced . Some knew they didn't have a bolters, yet they were fizziing at just being  there. 

With your prognosis we might as well stay home with Majestic Man. 

I expect better from you

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

C'mon Brods, the Jewels has been run for 11 yrs. Every year horses travel North and South to compete in it, good horses and some not quite at the same level. The point is the owners want a crack at it regardless. I stood by the fence at Ashburton and talked to various owners over a period of time as their horses raced . Some knew they didn't have a bolters, yet they were fizziing at just being  there. 

I expect better from you

Would be an absolute thrill just to get a horse qualified and running in jewels, that's what its all about, and even a horse with not as much class as the more favoured runners just needs a good draw to potentially earn a cheque ...game on!

You certainly have a live chance with majestic man globe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I don't think Majestic Man falls into the category Brodie is talking. In fact, a long way out of it.

Think he means the fringe horses.

Yes I realise that Happy, but year after year horses on the fringes turn up because the owners want to . If all the owners took his stance we wouldn't have any fields. Although racing at Adders over the longer distance might act as a deterrent. I hope not.

2 hours ago, globederby12 said:

I expect better from you

Globe, no I wasn’t talking about the horses that have a good chance of running in the money.

There will be horses that quAlified that will have to start now!

As an owner I wouldn’t want to have to trek a horse up to Cambridge in the hope  that half of them fall over to get any extra money apart from the appearance money!

Of course Majestic Man has a great chance of being In The money providing he draws ok!

There will be some that aren’t that good and will draw poor over the mile and a trip to Cambridge will knock them!

It is harder on the South Island Horses than the North Island when they race at Cambridge obviously, and there are far more that will have qualified I would say.

Will be interesting to see what happens this year!

Edited by Brodie
  • Sad 1

The point here is that this is the whole concept of the Jewels and has been for 11yrs. Everyone knows that they will have to head either South or North if one has qualified. So far we have had full fields every year , so it is plaintively obvious that owners are willing to stump up even if they have a horse with little chance apart from a miracle. 

And that is it in a nut shell. We turn up.hoping for the miracle Brods. And they do happen if you look at results over the years at the Jewels. 

For the owner its called living the dream, regardless.

• Like 3

I remember attending the Jewels in Ashvegas when Tony Lee called it ( well to be honest I only made it until race 6 as that beer went to my head and decided to stand upxD) but the atmosphere was awesome and then everyone spilled into the Ashvegas Hotel. I feel sorry for all the motels etc as that is a large chunk of hospo money now not going into the community.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Brodie said:

Globe, no I wasn’t talking about the horses that have a good chance of running in the money.

There will be horses that quAlified that will have to start now!

As an owner I wouldn’t want to have to trek a horse up to Cambridge in the hope  that half of them fall over to get any extra money apart from the appearance money!

Of course Majestic Man has a great chance of being In The money providing he draws ok!

There will be some that aren’t that good and will draw poor over the mile and a trip to Cambridge will knock them!

It is harder on the South Island Horses than the North Island when they race at Cambridge obviously, and there are far more that will have qualified I would say.

Will be interesting to see what happens this year!

Brodie, 

Think you are alone on this one. 

Heard some stats on trackside today regarding jewels winners since it’s inception. 

59% of races have been won by favs, yet 20% of favs have not finished in top 3 placing!

If anyone had a horse that qualified, surely you would go. Been many horses that have paid a div in the jewels, draw works both ways, think it’s a great concept. 

So good luck Globe and others that have horses racing in the jewels, you all have a chance to take home some cash. 

For some, this is their nz cup. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Brodie said:

If people wanted a safe investment, I suggest they stick to a term bank deposit. 

Racing a horse is like punting, it’s a risk. You sound like the person that would sit on 16 at the black table Brodie? 

I would like to think that everyone would race in the jewels if they could. How many other times can many of these horses race for that sort of money, never for some. So go for it, have those memories for the rest of your life. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Portfolio said:

If people wanted a safe investment, I suggest they stick to a term bank deposit. 

Racing a horse is like punting, it’s a risk. You sound like the person that would sit on 16 at the black table Brodie? 

I would like to think that everyone would race in the jewels if they could. How many other times can many of these horses race for that sort of money, never for some. So go for it, have those memories for the rest of your life. 

Portfolio, if you knew me, you would know that I am a risk taker, and a major gambler.

Obviously I appreciate it that owners love to have a horse in the Jewels!

However, if I owned a horse that had qualified by say being the 10th highest stake earner and I drew 4 on the second line over 1609m at Cambridge against 3 or 4 AllStar horse, after a long season and my horse was past its best, would it be in the best interests of the horse?

No, it wouldn’t be and could affect a possible sale,overseas if I had been thinking of selling!

I personally would put the welfare of the horse and future of the horse ahead of running in one race  a long way from home over 1609metres!

Personally wouldn’t get too excited about telling the grand kids that I had a horse that ran last at Cambridge in the Jewels!

Anyway. I wish everyone that has a horse starting at Cambridge the best of luck.

• Like 1