Bit Of A Yarn

2019 Jewels at Addington

Brodie

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Portfolio, if you knew me, you would know that I am a risk taker, and a major gambler.

Obviously I appreciate it that owners love to have a horse in the Jewels!

However, if I owned a horse that had qualified by say being the 10th highest stake earner and I drew 4 on the second line over 1609m at Cambridge against 3 or 4 AllStar horse, after a long season and my horse was past its best, would it be in the best interests of the horse?

No, it wouldn’t be and could affect a possible sale,overseas if I had been thinking of selling!

I personally would put the welfare of the horse and future of the horse ahead of running in one race  a long way from home over 1609metres!

Personally wouldn’t get too excited about telling the grand kids that I had a horse that ran last at Cambridge in the Jewels!

Anyway. I wish everyone that has a horse starting at Cambridge the best of luck.

"

"Hey grandad, you ever have a horse that started in that Jewels comp"

Yep sonny sure did, greatest day of my life having something in a big race.ran last but boy was it exciting

"What about you Gramma"

Nah, we qualified for it one year but decided not to run. We regretted that decision and havent come close since.

Missed any excitement , oh well

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

"

"Hey grandad, you ever have a horse that started in that Jewels comp"

Yep sonny sure did, greatest day of my life having something in a big race.ran last but boy was it exciting

"What about you Gramma"

Nah, we qualified for it one year but decided not to run. We regretted that decision and havent come close since.

Missed any excitement , oh well

Hey Grandad, ever have a horse in that Jewels comp?

No Sonny, had one qualify but didn’t think it is in the best interest of my horse, and so didn’t go!

Best decision I could’ve made, as started at Addington when all the Jewels 3 year olds were up in Cambridge.

Horse bolted in and sold to Perth for big money!

• Like 2

On 29/04/2018 at 3:12 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

That stand could tell a few stories.....

Hard to imagine it used to be full of people drinking, walking out to watch a race then migrate back in. And if you decided to sit down in the stand you would need to scan the crowd to find an empty aisle.

It is a shame it is gone. The public stand created an atmosphere all by itself. The soul of Addington has never been replaced. It never resided in a stand that was past the winning post!

In those days you could leave your kit on the table and it would still be there when you got back from watching the race.

• Haha 1

Actually reminds me of a story about some mates of mine.  They were members of a punting syndicate and would bet every week with the winnings going towards a trip away.  Trips to the Auckland Cup or Cup week in Christchurch.  They never made enough to get to the Melbourne Cup or the Hong Kong Cup even though that was always the goal for the year.

Anyway one year they all head to Christchurch for Cup week starting with the Trotting Cup.  They set themselves up on the day on a leaner in the public stand.  Get on the piss from the get go as you do on a boys trip.

They still have betting money in the syndicate account as it had been a good year on the punt so they put their collective heads together early in the day (before anyone went missing) and picked the pick six.

It took the team mathematician to work out the cost of all the combinations but they got there.

The first race of the Pick 6 duly arrives midway through the programme and they gather together in eager anticipation to watch the first leg.  They were all working on remembering numbers by this stage as long names were a struggle.

Alas they were out in the first.  They trudge back to their table acknowledging that Cup week was a Marathon not a Sprint.  Throw their expensive ticket amongst the rubbish on the table and "onto the next."

Just before start time in the next, one of club wanders up to put a bet on and sees an old mate in the queue.  Anyway they start talking and the old mate asks "What did the crew pick in the Pick six?"  "Doesn't matter mate we were out in the first." 

"WHAT do you mean 'out in the first'?  It hasn't run yet it's the next."

"SHIT!!!" says the club member and off he runs back to the table to find the discarded ticket.  Now running is no mean feat for this guy as he has cerebral palsy and is known to fall over once or twice during a session.  Anyway he got to the table and retrieved the ticket just before the cleaner did.

What happened next?  You've probably guessed by now they duly won a share of the Pick Six and collected $20,000.  

The week took on a new dimension.  Of course they didn't take a TAB cheque!  The catch phrase amongst themselves was "can anyone break a hundy?"  The mini-van driver "can you break a hundy?"  (They hired him for the rest of the week).  The kebab shop "can you break a hundy?"

That BOAY friends is a true story.  Boooo-aaaaay!!!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

In those days you could leave your kit on the table and it would still be there when you got back from watching the race.

And the youngsters of today complain when we hark back to the good old days. Pphhh

Bastards wouldn't know they are alive.

• Like 2