Bit Of A Yarn

....anyone see Weigh In ?

A minute of so of it - squirming, waffling corporate/politican speak by Dean.  Paper going to Cabinet where I suspect their wish list will be rejected (quite rightly IMO) and then Winnie will say "I did my best but parochialism prevailed" (quite wrongly) in my opinion)

The battle was lost recently when Glenda and her cohorts had the constitution changed to put sports on an equal footing with racing. It is all downhill now for the TAB in regards to racing. Sports will grow, and racing, especially NZ racing will continue to fade. The end game vision for the TAB is Sports betting. Racing will continue, but with more and more overseas feeds, until the local product is extinct. Thats where I see it heading. Local Clubs stuffing up suits the agenda, saves the TAB from doing the job. Just imagine if the TAB did not have to support local racing because it self destructed, how much money would be saved. Racing would still be provided via overseas feeds at a fraction of the costs, and all profits to go to Sports.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

I saw the Dean McKenzie segment and in complete  frustration turned it off before the end...total waste of time - and that includes the questioning...Mick Guerin and Co need to learn to  ASK ONE QUESTION AT A TIME, preferably a brief one!

McKenzie spent a lot of time saying nothing of relevance - unless he thinks we need to be told again what we already know (eg the background to MAC and its terms of reference). Our job is o "make operational the recommendations of the Messara Report..." (For goodness's sake, we knew that in December!!) 

It is little wonder that the real racing stalwarts and stakeholders i this country have had a gutsful of their 'leaders' and 'powers that be'. All we can do now is wait and see what, if anything, is in the May 2019 Budget for horse racing based on the recommendations of Messara/MAC. My instinctive feeling is that, if there's Sweet F A (apart from a new track or three to appease the big breeders in the Waikato) you may as well give up on transformational change in NZ. What is needed NOW most urgently, IMO, is a plan to increase stakes to ALL owners. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, aquaman said:

The battle was lost recently when Glenda and her cohorts had the constitution changed to put sports on an equal footing with racing. It is all downhill now for the TAB in regards to racing. Sports will grow, and racing, especially NZ racing will continue to fade. The end game vision for the TAB is Sports betting. Racing will continue, but with more and more overseas feeds, until the local product is extinct. Thats where I see it heading. Local Clubs stuffing up suits the agenda, saves the TAB from doing the job. Just imagine if the TAB did not have to support local racing because it self destructed, how much money would be saved. Racing would still be provided via overseas feeds at a fraction of the costs, and all profits to go to Sports.

Been saying that for years - the NZ racing industry and the stakeholders are only a pain in the a#*e for the NZRB and TAB.  They would far rather they go away and they(TAB) can just pick up the second leg from Outer Mongolia to televise.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

increase stakes so new or existing owners can afford to pay training,jockey,vet bills, acceptance fees, / float fees etc,etc. ...

a no brainer ! well that is why I voted Winston anyway...These Politicians are laughing at us from their million dollar weekend baches...Wankers

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, porky said:

increase stakes so new or existing owners can afford to pay training,jockey,vet bills, acceptance fees, / float fees etc,etc. ...

a no brainer ! well that is why I voted Winston anyway...These Politicians are laughing at us from their million dollar weekend baches...Wankers

I don't think it is the politicians laughing Porky - I doubt(in most cases) they care.  It is the NZRB Board Members laughing(including Glenda of course) at the NZ Industry going down the gurgler while they lap up the overseas trips, lovely Karaka Million, NZ Derby and NZ Trotting Cup day Hospo and Directors fees.

What is it that Glenda has over Peters?  Given she is a National Party lackey I would have thought she would be the first one gone.

it is sooooo frustrating that the NZRB Board just sail merrily along their way giving a two fingered salute to the NZ Racing Industry

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

The only positive thing I can say is that at least DM fronted...

After that I saw a man who looked (with all of that squirming and shuffling -  nervousness?) and sounded like some sort of JA clone.

From where I stand I see just another meaningless attempt by those in power to baffle the  <not so stupid> grass roots people of racing with BS.

Next...

20 minutes ago, Chimbu said:

The only positive thing I can say is that at least DM fronted...

After that I saw a man who looked (with all of that squirming and shuffling -  nervousness?) and sounded like some sort of JA clone.

From where I stand I see just another meaningless attempt by those in power to baffle the  <not so stupid> grass roots people of racing with BS.

Next...

It was depressing to watch....we've been given plenty of blarney about Deano's acumen and ability....but oh dear, incisive and positive he certainly wasn't. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

It was depressing to watch....we've been given plenty of blarney about Deano's acumen and ability....but oh dear, incisive and positive he certainly wasn't. 

Yes and yet why wouldn't he have been incisive and positive? - Peters has given him and his group free rein to come up with whatever they like.

Unless he himself does not like what the collective group has come up with and is trying to avoid too many direct questions 

Is it wildly foolish of me to hope that a Governance restructure (incl the departure of most of the current culpable Board, and CEO JA) will be included in the Plan going to Cabinet for sign-off before May?

Why would Cameron George be announced as a new member of said Board if it will soon be gone - unless he is to lead the new entity??

Too clever by half?

33 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Is it wildly foolish of me to hope that a Governance restructure (incl the departure of most of the current culpable Board, and CEO JA) will be included in the Plan going to Cabinet for sign-off before May?

Why would Cameron George be announced as a new member of said Board if it will soon be gone - unless he is to lead the new entity??

Too clever by half?

George is on NZTR isn't he not NZRB

Will the NZRB still go? Will the make-up,size, ToR etc. (or even the existence) of the NZTR remain the same under the yet to be seen MAC proposals? Given such uncertainty, why appoint a new NZTR member now when an announcement about the future is supposedly only weeks away? There was no mention of Cameron George's appointment being temporary or for a fixed period, was there?  

Intuitively, so much of this process doesn't sit right with me and DM did nothing to increase my confidence levels that we are going to be led down a path to constructive change rather than just a rearrangement of the Titanic's deck-chairs at the governance & management level.

Oh, how I hope I am wrong!

• Champ Post 1

It was a complete waste of ten minutes or so. They would have known beforehand from other interviews hat he was unable to answer any of their questions regarding any details of what MAC proposed. The only thing he could give answers to were around the timing ie when they had to have their recommendation into Winston which was by March 1st.

The  obfuscation around the detail of what was in it was like watching paint dry. 

Edited by All The Aces
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, All The Aces said:

It was a complete waste of ten minutes or so. They would have known beforehand from other interviews hat he was unable to answer any of their questions regarding any details of what MAC proposed. The only thing he could give answers to were around the timing ie when they had to have their recommendation into Winston which was by March 1st.

The  obfuscation around the detail of what was in it was like watching paint dry. 

brilliantly summarised ATA

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chimbu said:

Will the NZRB still go? Will the make-up,size, ToR etc. (or even the existence) of the NZTR remain the same under the yet to be seen MAC proposals? Given such uncertainty, why appoint a new NZTR member now when an announcement about the future is supposedly only weeks away? There was no mention of Cameron George's appointment being temporary or for a fixed period, was there?  

Intuitively, so much of this process doesn't sit right with me and DM did nothing to increase my confidence levels that we are going to be led down a path to constructive change rather than just a rearrangement of the Titanic's deck-chairs at the governance & management level.

Oh, how I hope I am wrong!

So do I...!  But it doesn't sit right with me either.

We are [ probably pointlessly ]  waiting for a ray of hope from the MAC recommendations - which,  given the antipathy towards Winston from so many in the House may never see the light of day - and at the same time,  Saundry sails along pushing the Alan Jackson mantra for NZTR of track closures..it just doesn't make sense.

Messara pushed track closures with the idea of garnering funds for redevelopment.  He was poorly advised and legal ramifications make that look highly unlikely to happen,  so therefore no point in following that line...but they are still pushing it..for what purpose?

They have been given figures - by Reefton and no doubt others - which conclusively show that country clubs are NOT the drain on the industry that so many rave on about.....but clearly they can't follow logical arguments.

I recall a few years ago some very good work was done by a couple of  smart guys on handicapping,  mares' allowances,  etc - pro bono -  and submitted to the then heirarchy of Purcell / Goodson.

I don't think either of them understood a bit of the study.  I forwarded a copy of the same to Saundry at his request,  but as is the operating practice of the outfit,  haven't had so much as an acknowledgement of receipt.   Great office staff they have there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Messara pushed track closures with the idea of garnering funds for redevelopment.  He was poorly advised and legal ramifications make that look highly unlikely to happen,  so therefore no point in following that line...but they are still pushing it..for what purpose?

They need $$$$ to retain their salaries don't they?

2 hours ago, Freda said:

So do I...!  But it doesn't sit right with me either.

We are [ probably pointlessly ]  waiting for a ray of hope from the MAC recommendations - which,  given the antipathy towards Winston from so many in the House may never see the light of day - and at the same time,  Saundry sails along pushing the Alan Jackson mantra for NZTR of track closures..it just doesn't make sense.

They have been given figures - by Reefton and no doubt others - which conclusively show that country clubs are NOT the drain on the industry that so many rave on about.....but clearly they can't follow logical arguments.

I recall a few years ago some very good work was done by a couple of  smart guys on handicapping,  mares' allowances,  etc - pro bono -  and submitted to the then heirarchy of Purcell / Goodson.

I don't think either of them understood a bit of the study.  I forwarded a copy of the same to Saundry at his request,  but as is the operating practice of the outfit,  haven't had so much as an acknowledgement of receipt.   Great office staff they have there.

You ignore facts when they don't fit your narrative.  One thing that Goodson and co got right was that there was nothing to be gained by closing tracks.  Dean keep on crapping on about "reform and revenue".  One has to question the need for reform if there is no costs saved or new revenue generated (except for government handouts).  Its just ideological bullshit and Jacko is a master at that.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, von Smallhaussen said:

They need $$$$ to retain their salaries don't they?

I think you have missed the point that there is little - if any -  money to be gleaned from track closures as it seems that forcing sales and grabbing the money is not likely to happen.

Yes they can force clubs to race elsewhere [ or not at all if committees dig their toes in ] but there won't BE any funds released as a result.

Edited by Freda

3 minutes ago, Freda said:

I think you have missed the point that there is little - if any -  money to be gleaned from track closures as it seems that forcing sales and grabbing the money is not likely to happen.

Yes they can force clubs to race elsewhere [ or not at all if committees dig their toes in ] but there won't BE any funds released as a result.

I guess you have to be seen to be doing something , whether it something useful or not in this industry doesn't seem to matter.

The saddest part of all of this is there are many many participants in the industry who believe that closing tracks and  moving race days will be good for the industry when it will only make it worse much much worse.

I fear the that the only change that will occur in the industry is the same change that has happened and not worked in the past, lead by the same people with the same interests. The industry is in such a decline it needs a complete rethink/revamp and one that involves everyone in the industry not one that just benefits a select few. 

People are quick to be critical of NZRB but they aren't the only under performers in the industry, there are many clubs that need a shake up and are also under performing that are given a get out of get out of jail free cards , that entire club structure needs a complete revamp to make it more efficient.

It's a great opportunity to reshape racing completely in NZ , but it won't happen in the manner it needs to , to give racing a sustainable long term future.