Bit Of A Yarn

Race 7: Jimmy Cannon - 31s into 9s?

Happy Sunrise

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So when will they ask for ID when buying a Lotto ticket?

If it is the DIA enforcing these changes then the TAB have bought it on themselves by crowing constantly about Turnover instead of Revenue.

With regard to the Act - yes the trigger point is $10k for reporting but that can be accumulative e.g. 10 x $1k.  So in that respect maybe the TAB are obliged to report however the reporting should be on SPENDING not COLLECTING!

There’s been a process for years when collecting over $1000 with lotto. 

7 minutes ago, Tonkatime! said:

There’s been a process for years when collecting over $1000 with lotto. 

So you are saying that people who are collecting over $1k from Lotto is also a possible money launderer due to having winning no.s?

It is all so blatantly stupid!

The TAB Bookmakers accept  multiple wagers yesterday at Rangiora on a horse one being 13k at $1.60 and several others on the same horse.

The Bookies obviously knew who this punter was and accepted his money!

Other punters can not get anything like that amount on and are restricted to under $100 on most occasions and they are classed as possible launderers of money and the $13k punter isn’t!!!

Is there anyone apart from Plonker and Ranga that think that this is fair and reasonable?

15 minutes ago, Brodie said:

So you are saying that people who are collecting over $1k from Lotto is also a possible money launderer due to having winning no.s?

It is all so blatantly stupid!

The TAB Bookmakers accept  multiple wagers yesterday at Rangiora on a horse one being 13k at $1.60 and several others on the same horse.

The Bookies obviously knew who this punter was and accepted his money!

Other punters can not get anything like that amount on and are restricted to under $100 on most occasions and they are classed as possible launderers of money and the $13k punter isn’t!!!

Is there anyone apart from Plonker and Ranga that think that this is fair and reasonable?

Seriously Brodie, you are simply making things up as you go. At no point have I said anything that you claim I have above. 

I was commenting that lotto already has a process for identifying people winning over $1000. I didn’t make any mention of money launders or restricted punters or fairness. 

You seem to have a habit of turning every thread in to a rant about the whip rules, restrictions on punters or now money laundering regulations and a lot of what you attempt to argue makes Iraklies sound intelligent. 

Edited by Tonkatime!

1 hour ago, Tonkatime! said:

Seriously Brodie, you are simply making things up as you go. At no point have I said anything that you claim I have above. 

I was commenting that lotto already has a process for identifying people winning over $1000. I didn’t make any mention of money launders or restricted punters or fairness. 

You seem to have a habit of turning every thread in to a rant about the whip rules, restrictions on punters or now money laundering regulations and a lot of what you attempt to argue makes Iraklies sound intelligent. 

Tonka, are you sure you got all of them?

Forums, are an avenue for ranting or expressing opinion!

The fact that you want to just disagree with Brodie on everything even when I am right, is just as tedious as me ranting!!

You have absolutely no credibility whatsoever now, when you say that Iraklis is more intelligent than the “voice of reason”.

• Haha 1

I am pretty thick sometimes so here goes.

How do I launder money betting?

If I put 5000 on a horse and it wins, I get my money back and the winnings - so this money is considered now clean? and even though I had a lot of money to start which begs the question where did this come from? with AND I was putting my money at risk by actually betting to begin with so I could lose my ill gotten gains?

If I put 5000 on the tote and it wins I have to produce ID to get my money which still doesn't explain where my money came from in the first place and why I have to launder it anyway.

If I didn't have to produce ID I still have my money with no explanation of where it came from so how is any of this laundered anyway?

Wouldn't it just be better to deposit lots of money in an account and withdraw to another and then to another so the money is lost track of ?

Apologies in advance.

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

If I put 5000 on a horse and it wins, I get my money back and the winnings - so this money is considered now clean? and even though I had a lot of money to start which begs the question where did this come from? with AND I was putting my money at risk by actually betting to begin with so I could lose my ill gotten gains?

If I put 5000 on the tote and it wins I have to produce ID to get my money which still doesn't explain where my money came from in the first place and why I have to launder it anyway.

If I didn't have to produce ID I still have my money with no explanation of where it came from so how is any of this laundered anyway?

Wouldn't it just be better to deposit lots of money in an account and withdraw to another and then to another so the money is lost track of ?

Apologies in advance.

Happy, of course you are correct, I have previously stated that people aren’t punting all gotten gains thru the TAB.

The rule of laundering at the TAB thru the AML act is $10k yet the TAB wants it to be $1k so they can control punters to determine who is wagering and collecting the pathetic amount of $1k!

How many gang members or drug dealing people have you seen in TAB agencies and/or Oncourse?

I suggest none and if they are putting large amounts in TAB accounts, then that is easily recognised by the TAB!

The AML Act is just smoke and mirrors and being used as an excuse just so that they now have full control of everything!

14 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Tonka, are you sure you got all of them?

Forums, are an avenue for ranting or expressing opinion!

The fact that you want to just disagree with Brodie on everything even when I am right, is just as tedious as me ranting!!

You have absolutely no credibility whatsoever now, when you say that Iraklis is more intelligent than the “voice of reason”.

I don’t disagree with you on everything Brodie. I have agreed with you on multiple occasions. 

Yes forums are for expressing opinions but when threads constantly get hijacked by the same issues it becomes tiresome. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tonkatime! said:

I don’t disagree with you on everything Brodie. I have agreed with you on multiple occasions. 

Yes forums are for expressing opinions but when threads constantly get hijacked by the same issues it becomes tiresome. 

I must admit I do go over some things many times, but my perogative to keep pointing out the injustices and silliness that has crept into racing in NZ.

You can think that everything is rosie, however just because there are rule changes doesn’t mean they are for the better or fair, and just because the NZ TAB only wants losing punters, doesn’t make it right, Tonka.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I must admit I do go over some things many times, but my perogative to keep pointing out the injustices and silliness that has crept into racing in NZ.

You can think that everything is rosie, however just because there are rule changes doesn’t mean they are for the better or fair, and just because the NZ TAB only wants losing punters, doesn’t make it right, Tonka.

I don’t think everything is Rosie at all and you make a valid point in your last paragraph. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Apologies in advance.

Happy,  do you remember the aussie program underbelly,which was based around events between 1995 and 2004,which told the story of gangland wars relating to the drug trade. 

One of the key players was Carl Williams(the smiling assassin) who amongst other claims to fame was he was ended up in jail for ordering and paying for the murder of 3 of the Moran family. Recently it has come out that his lawyer was actually a police informant and it seems she persuaded Williams to become a police informant. Apparently recent revelations that the lawyer(a woman)was a secret police informant has opened up a can of worms because of the breach of the client /lawyer privilege. Some of those involved are now seeking to have convictions and asset seizures overturned.

Anyway,Carl Williams partner in crime was his father George Williams. Its recently been revealed by another police informant turned by the  dodgy lawyer that George Williams used  people who worked at TAB outlets to launder money.

Williams would give the tab employee bags of cash,and when an actual lucky punter would turn up to cash a good payout,the lucky punter would be paid out with the ill gotten cash. Then the winning tickets were handed to Williams by the tab employee  who would cash them at the tab and get a cheque .

What a cunning plan. Next time your at your local tab it might pay to look twice at the little old lady walking out with a tab cheque who drives off in a Lamborghini.

• Champ Post 2

11 minutes ago, the galah said:

Williams would give the tab employee bags of cash,and when an actual lucky punter would turn up to cash a good payout,the lucky punter would be paid out with the ill gotten cash. Then the winning tickets were handed to Williams by the tab employee  who would cash them at the tab and get a cheque .

That is simple yet quite elaborate in its own way.  Brazen, too.

How would they know what to pay if the tote ticket is not cashed or is this back in the 'day'? Would it work today with FF betting?

Under this scenario it wouldn't matter if you gave ID or not. How does showing ID stop laundering?

Interesting post you put up there. Intriguing. 

• Like 1