Bit Of A Yarn

Has Rogie lost the plot or is he relenting to Owner Pressure?

Chief Stipe

Rogie has nothing to lose...makes money even if it runs stone motherless last...if it runs above expectations he's a 'genius' and there are ready-made excuses if it fails, which is highly likely. I note Contessa Vanessa ran a very ordinary race fresh-up  in the Taranaki mud - just another example of impatience ruining a classy galloper...

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Agent54 said:

Dowager Queen

20 starts between late Dec 2010 (2yo) and late Dec 2011 (3yo)  - incl 2 campaigns in Oz where it won about $430k of its $600k lifetime earnings in 4 starts ... didn't win a race, but ran 2nd (btn 9L) to Mosheen in the VRC Oaks.. Clearly an extremely good horse, pushed to the limit...or beyond, cos they even pressed on and ran her in the Eulogy, Eight Carat and Royal Stakes after returning from Flemington carnival. No wonder it never won or ran a place again. Wonder how she'd have gone as 5yo or 6yo (by Savabeel) ...

47 minutes ago, Kopia said:

Maybe it aint comparing apples to apples...however remember a horse called Shamus Award? Maiden 3 year old, only won the Cox Plate!!

yes, it can happen ...once in 100 years or so...my point is that the new training regime win whatever the result,...if the horse were mine, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to clean up everything in the Spring ...she's by Reliable Man!!

Edited by Weasel
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Weasel said:

Rogie has nothing to lose...makes money even if it runs stone motherless last...if it runs above expectations he's a 'genius' and there are ready-made excuses if it fails, which is highly likely. I note Contessa Vanessa ran a very ordinary race fresh-up  in the Taranaki mud - just another example of impatience ruining a classy galloper...

Pretty sure that she was nominated for Hastings before Rogerson got the horse so presumably the owner has had his say.

I know where i want it to finish but then again its not my money so i shoudn't give a toss.

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 1

There may well have been 'pressure' from owners and perhaps that's why there is a change of trainer. Rogie is not afraid to aim high, risk everything and take on older horses with young ones - with some success, mind - and Aalalune was not a cheap purchase, remember. Her pedigree does not jump out at you and say out-and-out 'precocious, speedster' or quick maturing, though she is from a Fastnet Rock mare.  (She may well be the only Stakes placed 2yo by Reliable Man.)

An older (2015) half-brother, Black Thorn  by Redwood fetched a mere $6k at NZ Ready To Run Sale and has won 1 race in Singapore, in May 2019, so not exactly precocious.

Another sibling (Redmann) didn't win but was placed at one of two starts in NZ; while The Stylist (Swiss Ace) has run two places from three attempts in Victoria.

Intriguingly, there is a full sister to Aalalune (named De La Terre) part-owned by Rogie and Te Keeti, which has won both its 600m trials (the second of them two days ago) so may well be being prepared for a debut sooner than later. It's the nature of the beast and owners looking for a quick ROI are entitled to know if their horse(s) can stand an early prep.

31 minutes ago, Weasel said:

It's the nature of the beast and owners looking for a quick ROI are entitled to know if their horse(s) can stand an early prep.

IF she is good enough to compete in the Tarzino against some seasoned campaigners then well and good.  However she has shown nothing to date that she is up to this field even if she has a big pull in the weights.  She is rated 77!

She is still a two year old and doesn't turn 3 until 17 September.

Personally I would have taken a more patient approach against her own age group and sex.  There are some ripe pickings for a good 3yr old filly both here and in OZ.

I've long held the opinion that a race horses mental conditioning is an important part of training a horse.  She will be entering the gladiators ring on Saturday against some serious race horse's (for NZ that is).  Her confidence could take a hammering.  

In that regard it will be interesting to see if Helena Baby bounces back.  I don't think he disgraced himself in the Foxbridge up against genuine Group horses but he will know now what the next step is.

• Like 2

Manawatu jockey Rosie Myers will step into uncharted territory when she teams up with Aalaalune in Saturday's Gr.1 Tarzino Trophy (1400m) at Hastings.

A natural lightweight, Myers usually walks at 51kg but she is facing a rare task of shedding weight to get to Aalaalune's 48.5kg for the weight-for-age feature.

"I don't think I've ever had to ride that light," Myers said.

"It's only a couple of kilos I've had to lose and it should be sweet. The boys (male jockeys) keep telling me that's what they have to do for every meeting."

Myers, who has five Group One wins to her name, was only too happy to accept Team Rogerson's offer to ride the Reliable Man filly, who raced exclusively in stakes company last season, finishing second in the Gr.1 Sistema Stakes (1200m) at Ellerslie and a fast-finishing fourth in the Gr.1 Manawatu Sires' Produce Stakes (1400m) at Awapuni.

"She's got pretty good form from her two-year-old season but it's just hard to measure her up in this race," Myers said.

"She hasn't raced against those proven older horses and the likes of Endless Drama and Melody Belle have been there and done that but she's getting a lot of weight from them."

Aalaalune carries 10.5kg less than $2.70 favourite Endless Drama, a last-start winner of the Gr.2 Foxbridge Plate (1200m) at Te Rapa and 8.5kg less than six-time Group One winner Melody Belle, who won the Tarzino Trophy last year.

"She's drawn out (barrier 14) but she gets back anyway though, I want to talk to Rogey (co-trainer Graeme Rogerson) before I make any plans on tactics," Myers said.

An $18 shot with TAB bookmakers, Aalaalune is having her first start for Rogerson and his co-trainers Debbie and Bailey Rogerson, having transferred from Matamata trainer Jacob McKay earlier this month.

Still a maiden, Aalaalune will be the first three-year-old to contest the first leg of the Hawke's Bay triple crown series since the John Wheeler-trained The Pooka finished fifth in 2007.

The Pooka also contested the other two legs of the triple crown before going on to Group One success in the New Zealand 2000 Guineas (1600m) at Riccarton.

Rogerson, then training in partnership with Stephen Autridge, produced Cedar Manor to finish seventh in the race in 2004.

Not that any of that matters to Myers, whose focus will be on getting to the 48.5kg on Saturday and enjoying a hearty meal afterwards.

"I'm not eating much at the moment. I'm pretty hungry right now," Myers said.

CS  I am in total agreement..I think running Aalaalune in the Tarzino (or any WFA race) right now is daft and could ruin the horse's confidence completely. There is absolutely no compelling reason to chuck her in the deep end/ As a risk/reward scenario, it's right up there with winning Powerball off a $25 ticket. Yes it could happen, but...why other when there are so many decent races for her own age and sex in the next 3-9 months. She has shown potential at Group level as a 2yo...surely that's a good reason for being sensible with a $230k (?) purchase who has time and pedigree on her side.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Weasel said:

CS  I am in total agreement..I think running Aalaalune in the Tarzino (or any WFA race) right now is daft and could ruin the horse's confidence completely. There is absolutely no compelling reason to chuck her in the deep end/ As a risk/reward scenario, it's right up there with winning Powerball off a $25 ticket. Yes it could happen, but...why other when there are so many decent races for her own age and sex in the next 3-9 months. She has shown potential at Group level as a 2yo...surely that's a good reason for being sensible with a $230k (?) purchase who has time and pedigree on her side.

Totally agree its like putting a 16 year kid up against the All Blacks.  Is paul Cavie from the TAB smoking weed he has picked it for second.  It cannot win should be at $81 not $18 and Endless Drama looks too good especially as  Melody belle has such a terrible draw.

Edited by Ashley

2 hours ago, Sandpiper said:

One legnth off NZ best 2yos last year (3 times), suited better by this trip, no need to assume she will get bottomed out if she doesnt get into the race. Are 3yos not allowed to race WFA now?

I suppose you are right - she has a lot going for her - still a two year old, yet to win a race so must be due, second up which is always a good pointer to improvement, big pull in the weights, only just beaten at Ruakaka in a maiden first up.  Drawn wide so will keep out of trouble.  Must be better than the 3 yr olds we've seen racing so far today.  Yep offload on her.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I suppose you are right - she has a lot going for her - still a two year old, yet to win a race so must be due, second up which is always a good pointer to improvement, big pull in the weights, only just beaten at Ruakaka in a maiden first up.  Drawn wide so will keep out of trouble.  Must be better than the 3 yr olds we've seen racing so far today.  Yep offload on her.

yes convinced me as well just cashed out of endless drama and put it all on allaluune instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ashley said:

yes convinced me as well just cashed out of endless drama and put it all on allaluune instead.

well bugger me  who would have thought a six time group one winner would beat home a a 2yo maiden.  unbelievable but maybe a step up in distance in the Livamol will suit allaluune better?

• Like 1

Guest CrossCodes

A shame to see such a former top trainer running horses like this into the ground, I do feel he has lost the plot.

Trainer and owner I have no sympathy for, the horse I do, needs a more patient and caring trainer who won’t flog her, sadly this won’t be the case with Rogerson, she will probably be in a hurdle race before the season is out 

I think that the owner is pulling the strings. The young Mr McKay obviously didn’t agree with the direction the owner wanted, so off to the Rogerson setup she went.

After today’s result who looks the silliest now?

Such a shame for a filly that had huge potential, which sadly I don’t think we will ever see now. 

• Like 1