Bit Of A Yarn

Taylor Swift's decision to perform at the Melbourne Cup sparks backlash

Taylor Swift's decision to perform at the Melbourne Cup sparks backlash

Robert Moran12:19, Sep 12 2019

This year's Melbourne Cup race-runners will have more competition for the spotlight, with pop star Taylor Swift set to headline the event.

The Victorian Racing Club has announced the global superstar will perform two songs ahead of the race that stops the nation at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, November 5.

VRC chief executive Neil Wilson said he was thrilled to welcome the "world's most celebrated star" to the event.

It was announced that singer Taylor Swift will perform at this year's Melbourne Cup in Victoria, Australia.
EVAN AGOSTINI/AP
It was announced that singer Taylor Swift will perform at this year's Melbourne Cup in Victoria, Australia.

"To think you can come to Flemington and watch not only the race but see one of the world's biggest, if not the biggest, entertainer perform for the cost of a general admission ticket is phenomenal," Wilson said.

Swift told the Herald Sun, "I can't wait to come to Melbourne, and I can't wait to come to the Melbourne Cup. I've heard so much about the race."

However, Swift's decision to perform at the race that stops the nation has caused backlash, with animal activists asking her to cancel.

taylor sweetie do not be excited about the melbourne cup horses literally die in that race every year make a concert for your fans instead luv

The Coalition For The Protection of Racehorses has been quick off the mark with a campaign to ask Swift to say #NupToTheCup on social media.

"Taylor Swift has put money before compassion by agreeing to perform at the 2019 Melbourne Cup," the group posted online in the wake of the announcement.

The Melbourne cup is a pretty excellent example of animal abuse- usually one horse dies every year or so. I personally think it’s a terrible event that Australians should stop celebrating so I’m upset that Taylor is now basically endorsing it https://twitter.com/theheraldsun/status/1171742480573878273 

not gonna send hate to swifties going to see taylor at the melbourne cup, but i personally just cannot put aside my principles and morals to see taylor perform 2 songs

bottom line @taylorswift13 please listen to what we're all saying, melbourne cup is full of animal abuse :(

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

The gig will mark Swift's only public appearance in Australia following the release of her seventh album Lover last month.

The 29-year-old last toured Australia in November last year.

Other musical acts set to perform at the carnival include locals Dean Lewis, Ball Park Music and Birds of Tokyo.

- With AAP

The Age

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Why do you need musicians stealing the limelight on the biggest race day of the year?

They already get a massive crowd or is the interest in it waning?

that's fair comment.  Some demented prick screaming their guts out doesn't add much to a raceday from my perspective.  Its noisy enough as it is.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2019 at 9:02 PM, Rusty said:

She's changed her mind and pulled the plug on the gig. 

Mustelid Musing #158

Great decision by TayTay. now the spotlight goes back on what is should be on - thoroughbred racing at its very best, and a darn good party on the side(s), with great friends, fun and laughter. Hopefully all the moron lefties (who know sfa about the way throughbreds are treated) will go annoy someone else over the next few weeks.

MM 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

The general public doesn't care about the racing.... they don't know a horse from their own ass.

Having someone like Swift there brings in another realm of the public. Those who wouldn't usually go to the races.

Sure, they won't see a horse go around because they'll be drunk, but that's 90% of on-course participants.

18 minutes ago, SLB2.0 said:

The general public doesn't care about the racing.... they don't know a horse from their own ass.

Having someone like Swift there brings in another realm of the public. Those who wouldn't usually go to the races.

Sure, they won't see a horse go around because they'll be drunk, but that's 90% of on-course participants.Cup Day.

Well the VRC doesn't really need any more people to attend Cup Day, and certainly not a throng of 20-somethings rabid manic vegan virtue-signallers who think the world owes them a living. I've been to many Melbourne Cups and can tell you that unless you've got a reserved table in the dining area of the Hill Stand or wherever, it's a flocking nightmare crush - and headache material long before Cup time. Cop one of Melbourne's bad weather days (Subzero 1992 unforgettable, froze my nuts off in the Hill Stand) and you'll think twice about going again the next year. Derby Day and Oaks Day generally less of a crush, and fine frisky fillies everywhere are a joy to behold.

• Like 1

Taylor Swift = Country music roots.

Country music = Cowboys.

Cowboys horse sport of choice = Rodeo.

Let Taylor go sing at some rodeo, where she would be a much better fit.

It was a stupid choice to invite her to Flemington in the first place. Who would anyone in their right mind want a race course full of teeny boppers hanging out for a selfie over punters?  

As far as I know, Taylor Swift fans are not funding the industry.

image.png.914154ffc1c5e5575090c613527929e2.png

• Like 2

The Taylor Swift "drawcard" (I use that term loosely), I think was just another attempt/example of the one-upmanship going on in recent times between Melbourne and Sydney racing administrations. They are each trying to outdo the other. Sydney will be sitting back rather smug seeing all this play out, whilst Victoria racing officials will be currently scheming something else, if they haven't already done so. 

Racing isn't a popular sport for young people. It's starting to grow in the 18-25 range purely because of alcohol, but what about the younger generation? The teenagers?

Nothing brings them to the track, except for things like Taylor Swift. 

This industry already has an image (more so in NZ) of being old-fashioned and unappealing to the youth. 

What brings the younger generation to the track? Absolutely nothing. They can't drink, they can't gamble, so give them their damn pop music and maybe, just maybe they'll see a horse and fall in love with racing.

Bring the teenagers to the track to see Taylor, on a day when the track isn't going to be anywhere near capacity without her there, that would make some sense.

But don't invite her there on a day where capacity is already expected without her. If invited, then the teeny boppers will be half the crowd or more, while the punters who have a wallet to take out & use will be no-where to be seen.

Edited by Yankiwi

Thinking about it a bit more.  One of most memorable days out was to the Wellington Cup Day about 18 years ago.  A group of friends and I were guests of the Dockside Bar.  Met there for champagne breakfast and then onto Trentham.  Most of the day was a blur but I do recall heaps of additional entertainment including any number of bands.  The course and stands were packed as was the infield.  What would Trentham do to have Cup Day's like that again?

I remember going out in subsequent years and over time the drop in attendance was noticeable but I still longed for another edition of that first Cup Day.  Eventually I stopped going rather than be disappointed and only went when there were great horses or one of my own racing.

Exactly. The Melbourne Cup crowds are on the decline.

I was there a couple of years ago for all four days and I didn't feel crowded - granted I was in the "good" seats.

Probably crammed in like sardines downstairs, but they need a boost. Swift would have given it that edge to make it more than racing.

For us, we're racing enthusiasts. We only care about racing, but we're a large minority.

7 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Bring the teenagers to the track to see Taylor, on a day when the track isn't going to be anywhere near capacity without her there, that would make some sense.

But don't invite her there on a day where capacity is already expected without her. If invited, then the teeny boppers will be half the crowd or more, while the punters who have a wallet to take out & use will be no-where to be seen.

agree...they can invite TayTay to perform at the Grand National?