Bit Of A Yarn

New Zealand Cup Thread

Happy Sunrise

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The TAB are trying. Races on Show Day are included too

image.thumb.png.8bfc5506e3369371e97bc8a56011f168.png

You have got to be kidding!!. The TAB being pro-active .Hold on I will wake up soon.:)

Thats American-ish . Win ,Place and Show. 

Now all they have to do is make the odds attractive and we,d be in like Flynn. 

Oh shiiite , I keep seeing Flying Pigs. 

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Odds are up for all races on Tuesday.

Interesting Blair Orange has opted for Jawbreaker in Race 2 and has moved in from 8 to 5.50ff

Shows how far harness racing has fallen in NZ, our showcase day and they run a maiden race! Class 3 + 4 used to be the lowest it ever got to on cup and show day.

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Shows how far harness racing has fallen in NZ, our showcase day and they run a maiden race! Class 3 + 4 used to be the lowest it ever got to on cup and show day.

Saying that now 12 races and used to be only 9,and is a very high grade maiden field. 

6 minutes ago, Richie said:

Saying that now 12 races and used to be only 9,and is a very high grade maiden field. 

You see the same maiden field on Thursday night racing for $9000 Richie.....70's 80s 90s always 10 races chocked with great quality..no maidens no 6 horses from one stable in an age group race..... don't get me wrong I still love the buzz about cup week but the gulf between yester year and now with the pacing element of the sport is so apparent on cup day, trotters still pretty strong.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

41 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

You see the same maiden field on Thursday night racing for $9000 Richie.....70's 80s 90s always 10 races chocked with great quality..no maidens no 6 horses from one stable in an age group race..... don't get me wrong I still love the buzz about cup week but the gulf between yester year and now with the pacing element of the sport is so apparent on cup day, trotters still pretty strong.

One of the biggest problems with cup day fields is the lack of North Island horses coming down.

7 N.I. horses is ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

44 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

1980 was 9 races with c4 & OC trots, a 3yo (derby trial) and c3, c4, c5, c6, c8 and OC paces

1981 was 10 races with the above races plus a c2 pace

Correct, 1980 was the last time 9 races were held. 

Interesting enough the C2 race was called the "Riccarton Handicap". Punters would be forgiven for thinking they were at Riccarton and not Addington. 

I live in Aussie and watched all the racing from addington today .Great coverage and good racing .I was very pleased B Orange won the cup. My only whinge was listening to that loudmouth  Guerin.  Thank god for the mute button.I  don't know if it is just me or most find his voice and opinions so over the top. Jmo.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

52 minutes ago, theshu said:

My only whinge was listening to that loudmouth  Guerin.  Thank god for the mute button.I  don't know if it is just me or most find his voice and opinions so over the top.

I think he only knows the top horses and generally has little idea outside the big days of racing. He seems to spread himself far and wide (fair dues to him as harness is too small to be a real player) with trots, gallops and the aussie scene so there is no time to know all the horses. He would swot up for Cup day etc but deep down he wouldn't know the form.  That is why I think he seemed reluctant to bet on every race which is the stance a serious punter would take but not what is required when you are presenting every race - especially as there is a winner to be found in every race if you have the time to look for it...

I quite like him though, he has his punting beliefs eg marker pegs and is a face of harness and I don't know anyone else who would do it better so good on him.

• Like 3