Bit Of A Yarn

Harness Racing NZ - change the stupid whip rule NOW!!!

Brodie

Yes, well aware this has been brought up many times, but if it is brought to their attention enough times, you never know!

Look I am sure that HRNZ are well aware that they have made a major mistake in bringing in the stupid 10 hits with the whip In the last 400metres rule.

Nandolo won the Geraldine Cup on Saturday, and Jonny Cox has had his licenses suspended for 4 racing days for hitting 15 times.

So Jonny Cox has cheated under the current dumb rule, but the owner and trainer still gets the chocolates.

The backers of the second horse plus that owner are the losers as they were beaten by a horse that was driven by a cheating driver under the current dumb rule.

Had Jonny Cox not used the whip like he did, Nandolo  doesn’t win.

How on earth is this fair?..

It is well overdue that Harness Racing NZ come clean and admit that they have made a mistake in changing the rule to what it currently is, and change it back to what it previously was!

It was brought in in a ridiculously quick manner without any real discussion and agreement with the people that it affected mostly, the drivers!!!!

• Like 3

The whip issue is huge at the moment. In galloping circles Michael Walker and Glen Boss have gone for broke lately.

Huge fines and ignoring any whip rule altogeather in some big races lately anyway.

You are talking HUGE prize-money differences with Prince of Arran a close 2nd in the Melbourne Cup and as Brodie said with Jonny Cox , Michael  wouldn't of got 2nd without riding the way he did. Is that fair to connections of the close finishing 3rd horse? beaten by someone deliberately breaking the rules to gain extra placings??. 

Maybe HRNZ are waiting to see what happens next in the galloping world. whip bans seem a matter of time.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Yes, well aware this has been brought up many times, but if it is brought to their attention enough times, you never know!

Look I am sure that HRNZ are well aware that they have made a major mistake in bringing in the stupid 10 hits with the whip In the last 400metres rule.

Nandolo won the Geraldine Cup on Saturday, and Jonny Cox has had his licenses suspended for 4 racing days for hitting 15 times.

So Jonny Cox has cheated under the current dumb rule, but the owner and trainer still gets the chocolates.

The backers of the second horse plus that owner are the losers as they were beaten by a horse that was driven by a cheating driver under the current dumb rule.

Had Jonny Cox not used the whip like he did, Nandolo  doesn’t win.

How on earth is this fair?..

It is well overdue that Harness Racing NZ come clean and admit that they have made a mistake in changing the rule to what it currently is, and change it back to what it previously was!

It was brought in in a ridiculously quick manner without any real discussion and agreement with the people that it affected mostly, the drivers!!!!

Yes it does make a mockery of the rule,  lucky owners of nandolo, hope they threw a few ,,$$$ j Cox's way, better they ban the whip all together than go on with this charade. drivers just trying to do their best for the owners and get penalised for doing what they are paid to do ...win!

• Like 3

The thing is, that I am sure that it is extremely difficult for any driver to have to control his horse, look for a run and also have the ability to have to count up to no more than 10 or you get done.

There are anomalies as well in that a tap is a hit, you can stop and then whack and there is no discretion being used by the Stipes as to the amount of force being used.

It is just a flippen no.

Ridiculous!!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

have you ran this solution past s.a.f.e.

Why would I run anything past SAFE??
Of course there is animal cruelty that happens, but the whip rule,in harness racing is not one of them.

SAFE weren’t even worried about the harness whip in racing but HRNZ 

panicked when Harness  Racing Australia brought in the no whip rule which never happened!!!

The Ozzies whack the crap out their horses NZ drivers don’t.

• Like 1

You are living in the past.

Yes, that race makes a mockery of the rule, but what should be changed is Nandolo gets disqualified, not a removal of the whip rule.

This was a brilliant move from Edward Rennell and co with a view to front-footing a VERY serious issue in the public domain.

Broadly speaking, your views on the use of whips are an unwelcome and unneeded regression.

• Champ Post 1

29 minutes ago, Spatchcock said:

You are living in the past.

Yes, that race makes a mockery of the rule, but what should be changed is Nandolo gets disqualified, not a removal of the whip rule.

This was a brilliant move from Edward Rennell and co with a view to front-footing a VERY serious issue in the public domain.

Broadly speaking, your views on the use of whips are an unwelcome and unneeded regression.

Spatchcock, unwelcome to yourself and a few others maybe!!!

Regression, hardly.

Spatchcock, can you please explain to us all, what the current  Australian whip rule is??

Such a serious issue that SAFE did not have the harness whip rule in their sights at all, so how was it such a brilliant move from Rennell?

It was a personal issue with Rennell and not a harness racing participants issue!

Spatchcock, are you a Vegan?..

Would appreciate you answering all questions put to you!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Yes it does make a mockery of the rule,  lucky owners of nandolo, hope they threw a few ,,$$$ j Cox's way, better they ban the whip all together than go on with this charade. drivers just trying to do their best for the owners and get penalised for doing what they are paid to do ...win!

Owners should throw a few dollars to the owners of the second horse would make more sense .

I always thought vegans were a bunch of tree hugging hippies, that have dreadlocks, protest signs and wear walk shorts with leather sandals..... 

But after watching The Gamechangers on Netflix recently.... wow. The documentary is well worth a watch. 

And on the whip rule... I think they have to ban the whip use during a race altogether (both codes). It's only a matter of time, the way the world is going, so they should just bite the bullet and do it now. Whips could still be carried, but only used in rare occasions during an emergency. 

No, I am not a vegan having said ban the whip. But I'm thinking about changing having watched that doco. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rusty said:

No, I am not a vegan having said ban the whip. But I'm thinking about changing having watched that doco. 

Don't do it rusty.....they will have have you wearing a dress and carrying a man bag as well if they could!........as for the whip you're right, in the next few years it's obvious they will ban it, I do feel sorry for some of those drivers now that want to do the best for trainers/owners and get suspended/fined, it must be bloody hard to keep count in the heat of battle when you are really trying to win. Next it will be you are only allowed to flick the rains 10 times and so on, until in 30 years time all racing is banned, and the vegans manage to get their way and all the horses are sent to the pet food factory as owners can't afford their up keep and trainers and drivers are unemployed.....all the farms by then will be shut and we will be getting aid and food parcels from Ethiopia!!..... And brodster restricted from nut roasts!

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1