Bit Of A Yarn

Pitman track comments

the galah

Again Mr Pitman was asking the question why so many tracks are watered so as to make it unsuitable for horses who prefer firm tracks. Every time I hear him say this,which is often, I agree with him. He was commenting after a win by one of his horses who he said finally got the firm track that it needed.

From a betting perspective punters should not have to factor in how much a track is watered, as in the end it just puts you off betting as the form is more inconsistent. Some horses yesterday turned their form around big time which just goes to show punters should be wary of betting on gallops as the form can change  in summer depending on track irrigation .

Edited by the galah

If I recall correctly, they started watering around the time the horse numbers started to thin out!  early nineties?

Now it tends to be  framed around 'best practice'! so sadly this practiced is locked in!

Just another key thing in racing where Integrity has little practice!!!

Lol,  Michael is always good for a throw away comment when he is charged up by a Win!!!!

It is a lot to do with the current practice of having horses locked away in boxes [barns] and their hooves are tender as a result. Thus these barn trained horses jar up if faced with a normal hard and fast track.                    

3 hours ago, Freda said:

As a matter of interest,  the track had been irrigated all week....did you notice the green sward of the circuit and compare it with the burnt brown of the surrounding areas?

Its not irrigation that is the problem,but excessive irrigation.

2 hours ago, Fred said:

It is a lot to do with the current practice of having horses locked away in boxes [barns] and their hooves are tender as a result. Thus these barn trained horses jar up if faced with a normal hard and fast track.                    

That may be true , but is that a valid reason to alter track surfaces through irrigation? 

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Its not irrigation that is the problem,but excessive irrigation.

I agree....but I think I would even qualify that and call it 'inappropriate' irrigation.

1 hour ago, the galah said:

That may be true , but is that a valid reason to alter track surfaces through irrigation? 

I was told by an earlier track manager that he 'didn't water to change track conditions, only to achieve growth' ..

But,  as has been discussed here and elsewhere, the soil structures are stuffed.   That's why [ IMO ]  there are often superior track surfaces on country tracks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Yeah...I know..!

I guess you do, was a top effort given the ground she covered, you do wonder sometimes when horses that get the visitors draw, are better to go back and ride for luck, then at least they don't have a hard run.I reckon there be a few that slept well that night.

7 hours ago, Shad said:

I guess you do, was a top effort given the ground she covered, you do wonder sometimes when horses that get the visitors draw, are better to go back and ride for luck, then at least they don't have a hard run.I reckon there be a few that slept well that night.

The lad was asked to take a sit and wait,  i cannot comprehend how what transpired correlated to that....I watched with horror!

I agree....but I think I would even qualify that and call it 'inappropriate' irrigation.

I was told by an earlier track manager that he 'didn't water to change track conditions, only to achieve growth' ..

But,  as has been discussed here and elsewhere, the soil structures are stuffed.   That's why [ IMO ]  there are often superior track surfaces on country tracks.

With all your experience and there would be other trainers I'm supposing that would support your synopsis Freda, why would the CJC not listen to a deputation of senior trainers putting their views and suggestions forward re the track and a strategic remedial plan? Of course you have a problem with a certain senior trainer that seem to have the 'boss's ear' and has too much clout, especially by his own admission he didn't know what end kicked when he entered the industry? Just asking, however I can guess what the answer will be.

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

With all your experience and there would be other trainers I'm supposing that would support your synopsis Freda, why would the CJC not listen to a deputation of senior trainers putting their views and suggestions forward re the track and a strategic remedial plan? Of course you have a problem with a certain senior trainer that seem to have the 'boss's ear' and has too much clout, especially by his own admission he didn't know what end kicked when he entered the industry? Just asking, however I can guess what the answer will be.

At the moment,  we are all just trying to keep our heads above the water.  With the ongoing situation with track closures and the imminence [ really ? ]  of all weather tracks,  it seems a bit of a pointless exercise to stress about something we can do nothing about.

6 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Of course you have a problem with a certain senior trainer that seem to have the 'boss's ear' and has too much clout

I heard he was a good mate of yourse Joe!  ?   ...does  this fella hate over watering of the Tracks??

Talking Riccarton! it holds my World Record for Watering! the outside half of the track for one meeting! and didn't tell the punters???

ps, re the ends of horses! as happens sometimes!  the Wife might be playing a Big Role if it the person I think you are referring to?  :)

• 3 weeks later...