Bit Of A Yarn

Oamaru racecourse

Ludwig

The grandstand is awful at Oamaru, have to agree,  but the tie-ups and stabling areas are pretty good for a country area. Never fear,  you won't have to endure the conditions much longer to watch the gallops as I gather  it's down for closure [ don't know how that affects the harness folk though.]     I'm very critical of the facilities for horses at Ashburton, they're terrible,    but have to concur that the grandstand there is very comfortable, with it's glassed-in front offering a great view out of the weather.

The one that confounds me though,  is Rangiora...a nice, tidy course,  pleasant surroundings, close to Christchurch....a shared facility ,  a part-interest in which was 'acquired'  by the CJC some time ago, for the purpose, it would seem,  of being flogged off for huge money.

That doesn't look likely now,  so we have a silly scenario with a viable course sitting idle [ from a galloping point ] with other courses needing funds spent to bring them up to scratch.  I imagine the harness people will be quite happy to utilise this excellent venue;  galloping's loss ,  through the all- pervading lack of vision inherent.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Freda said:

The excellent cruwd there yesterday didn't look too bothered about birdshit.

Of course Freda, always gets a great Xmas crowd for the social outing but they aren’t sitting in the grandstand.

Have you been in the grandstand there Freda?

18 minutes ago, Brodie said:

always gets a great Xmas crowd for the social outing but they aren’t sitting in the grandstand.

Over recent years I would say Oamaru has the least in attendance of any course probably due to the amount of meetings they have there. Even at Xmas it is pretty small.

The members stand is a good place to watch but the public stand is past the post like most places which is very deceiving.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I would have thought Mot would have been your happy hunting ground in the days of your punting?

You must have had big wins there. What were some of your best?

Yes Happy, I have had some Pretty good days there over past years, but it has just become so difficult getting enough on to make it worth my while and opening odds are generally well under.

Yes I still pick quite a few placegetters still and I do still watch, but overall I don’t actually miss the wagering as I just got totally sick of having to try and beat the TAB Bookies and being treated differently to other punters!

To the ones that think it is possible to do things to beat the Bookies if you are a winning punter, I say you have never been in my position and you are full of it!!!!!

Not going to disclose what my best days have been but let’s just say it was fun while it lasted but at the end of the day the TAB have stopped me from punting but then again the Bookies still need to be working for a living!!

• Haha 1