Bit Of A Yarn

Departure from the norm at Nelson

9 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

We shall see.

We shall see.

Looked at the odds for tomorrow and is there anyone that can see anything worthwhile backing over a mile, as the odds do seem rather short!

Sunday racing will always pull in punters that haven’t got much else to do but I really can not see why on earth  Nelson has decided to run miles and some stands at that?????

Nelson is a club that is struggling financially and is lucky to still be operating and running this meeting wouldn’t be helping their cause!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Looked at the odds for tomorrow and is there anyone that can see anything worthwhile backing over a mile, as the odds do seem rather short!

But the question is whether the races are interesting or not. There is a lot going against them being so as there hotpots and small fields so let us see.

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Nelson is a club that is struggling financially and is lucky to still be operating and running this meeting wouldn’t be helping their cause!

How are they in trouble?

48 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

But the question is whether the races are interesting or not. There is a lot going against them being so as there hotpots and small fields so let us see.

How are they in trouble?

Nelson Trotting Club have been financially short for many years.

Clubs that run only 4 meetings a year are hardly going to be financially ok is this day and age.

Not sure what happen ended but a few years ago they got picked up in an audit for GST irregularities where they had claimed GST when they should not have and got a bill for $140k to pay!!!

If I remember right they were also the Club that hadn’t been paying their Local Body rates as well but may have been another club.

Would not be surprised  if the racing is not still going in a few years time and the track converted into residential housing.

When a Sonic Reign can go 1.53 odd for a mile it shows how overrated black print is with 2.0 minute mile rates!

Sonic Reign is a less than average horse but won in that time but wouldn’t have a dogs show of ever winning a race at Addington!!!

Watched the racing and wasn’t that excited with it however it does allow poor horses to win due to the short distances.

If Sonic Reign can go 1.53 imagine times  over a mile that good horses could go?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

When a Sonic Reign can go 1.53 odd for a mile it shows how overrated black print is with 2.0 minute mile rates!

Sonic Reign is a less than average horse but won in that time but wouldn’t have a dogs show of ever winning a race at Addington!!!

Watched the racing and wasn’t that excited with it however it does allow poor horses to win due to the short distances.

If Sonic Reign can go 1.53 imagine times  over a mile that good horses could go?

it just puts racing over that shit distance on lightening fast tracks into perspective menangle for example  1.49 yawn just a borefest. ....you just have to watch trackside from 11am to see American mile racing running with  $50 in the win pool ..certainly makes me feel sleepy, absolute boring drivel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

it just puts racing over that shit distance on lightening fast tracks into perspective menangle for example  1.49 yawn just a borefest. ....you just have to watch trackside from 11am to see American mile racing running with  $50 in the win pool ..certainly makes me feel sleepy, absolute boring drivel.

100% correct.

NZ clubs need to abandon this mile racing now!

American racing is terrible and always has been racing over a mile and if they continue to run miles they deserve what they get.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

100% correct.

NZ clubs need to abandon this mile racing now!

American racing is terrible and always has been racing over a mile and if they continue to run miles they deserve what they get.

My good friend, harness racing is thriving in North America, unlike here, so they must be doing something right!!

https://harnessracingupdate.com/pdf/hru/hru010320.pdf

Woodbine standardbred recorded largest all-sources handle ever in 2019

Record foreign wagering, which was up more than 15 per cent in 2019, drove total handle to just shy of $365 million.

byMarkMcKelvie/ Woodbine communications

Woodbine Entertainment announced today that the 2019 standardbred season produced a record all-sources handle of $364,639,490, the highest in Woodbine standardbred history.

This was our first full year of harness racing at Woodbine Mohawk Park and it proved to be very successful, said Jim
Lawson, CEO of Woodbine Entertainment. We look forward to building off our successes in 2019 as we fulfill our vision of being the top standardbred racetrack in the world.

The 216-date season (five cancellations) saw the all-sources handle rise 9.2 per cent and a record per-race handle of $161,990, up 11.2 per cent from the previous year. A total of 2,251 races were contested, 41 fewer than the year prior.

Foreign wagering (outside Canada) on Woodbine standardbred races in 2019 was as strong as ever with a record total of $243,095,740 wagered, up 15.2 per cent from 2018.

Home Market Area wagering held steady by coming in at $88 million for the second consecutive year.

Whiteman, America only know about mile racing that is all they know.

There horses are bred for speed rather than stamina so that is what they race!

Why I am not sure!

Went to the Meadowlands a few years ago and racing was yes boring although was worth seeing as a bucket list item!

Wagering may be increasing but imagine how much better it would be with distance racing?

Look if our clubs want to program racing over a mile then that  is their prerogative however if they think It works to retain punters and attract new ones, they are in cuckoo land!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

My good friend, harness racing is thriving in North America, unlike here, so they must be doing something right!!

https://harnessracingupdate.com/pdf/hru/hru010320.pdf

Woodbine standardbred recorded largest all-sources handle ever in 2019

Record foreign wagering, which was up more than 15 per cent in 2019, drove total handle to just shy of $365 million.

byMarkMcKelvie/ Woodbine communications

Woodbine Entertainment announced today that the 2019 standardbred season produced a record all-sources handle of $364,639,490, the highest in Woodbine standardbred history.

This was our first full year of harness racing at Woodbine Mohawk Park and it proved to be very successful, said Jim
Lawson, CEO of Woodbine Entertainment. We look forward to building off our successes in 2019 as we fulfill our vision of being the top standardbred racetrack in the world.

The 216-date season (five cancellations) saw the all-sources handle rise 9.2 per cent and a record per-race handle of $161,990, up 11.2 per cent from the previous year. A total of 2,251 races were contested, 41 fewer than the year prior.

Foreign wagering (outside Canada) on Woodbine standardbred races in 2019 was as strong as ever with a record total of $243,095,740 wagered, up 15.2 per cent from 2018.

Home Market Area wagering held steady by coming in at $88 million for the second consecutive year.

so old man, would you like to see mile racing the norm in n.z? I think our longer distances is what sets our horses apart from Australia and north America. and likewise the European trotter is the best in the world because they race longer distances as well. I would hate for us to ever go down the menangle rout, how uninteresting mile after mile after mile, no problem a few major races like the old pan am mile etc, but whole meetings being hijaked by the distance regularly is a turn off. the times now tell me nothing with poor horse's running faster than old nz records, as Brodie says it just makes a mockery of the old 2 minute mark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flagship uberalles said:

so old man, would you like to see mile racing the norm in n.z? I think our longer distances is what sets our horses apart from Australia and north America. and likewise the European trotter is the best in the world because they race longer distances as well. I would hate for us to ever go down the menangle rout, how uninteresting mile after mile after mile, no problem a few major races like the old pan am mile etc, but whole meetings being hijaked by the distance regularly is a turn off. the times now tell me nothing with poor horse's running faster than old nz records, as Brodie says it just makes a mockery of the old 2 minute mark.

No, but I am just pointing out to my good friend Brodie that harness is thriving in North America despite mostly mile racing there. He claims that mile racing is the death of harness racing but this is not the case there. I repeat they must be doing something right. Harness racing is certainly not doing something right here? The two minute mark is pointless these days and should be reduced to 1:55.