Bit Of A Yarn

First day of NZB Sales

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Maybe not negative but possibly a hint of sour grapes stemming from his betting restrictions showing through on most of his posts I suspect.

If he isn't saying something about it he is definitely thinking of saying something about it.

Don't let it consume you Brodie you will blow a valve!

Well  can show me a positive Brodie post about the NZTAB and Harness racing in general . And i repeat that's entirely up to him as to how he sees things  " The end is nigh" does not  register with me as it does with Brodie but as always this is a forum to debate and thus views are bound to be mixed..

Im looking forward to Ashvegas this weekend especially the 2yr old race, wink wink

Greg

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Well  can show me a positive Brodie post about the NZTAB and Harness racing in general . And i repeat that's entirely up to him as to how he sees things  " The end is nigh" does not  register with me as it does with Brodie but as always this is a forum to debate and thus views are bound to be mixed..

Im looking forward to Ashvegas this weekend especially the 2yr old race, wink wink

Greg

tip us into a winner at ashvegas

Greg

despite his numerous faults the brodster in very supportive of the young people in harness racing so i feel we should afford him 2 or 3 points in the overall scheme of things

• Champ Post 1

Brodie, tells it the way it is,  whether it is negative or positive.

If you take it as being  negative, then take it for granted that it is a negative, and take it on board that everything is not all Rosey in racing!

You can look at everything and not complain or just go with the flow but personally I am not one to accept things when they are not right.

Some just sit on the fence in life and it gets them no where!

Have I complained about being restricted in the last couple of  months?

No I have not,  there is a reason for that!!

Is there a lot of things that need improving and changed in harness racing going forward? 
Yes!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Brodie, tells it the way it is,  whether it is negative or positive.

If you take it as being  negative, then take it for granted that it is a negative, and take it on board that everything is not all Rosey in racing!

You can look at everything and not complain or just go with the flow but personally I am not one to accept things when they are not right.

Some just sit on the fence in life and it gets them no where!

Have I complained about being restricted in the last couple of  months?

No I have not,  there is a reason for that!!

Is there a lot of things that need improving and changed in harness racing going forward? 
Yes!!

I agree my old mate.

There are problems galore with harness racing and I have doubts that it will survive more than another decade or two.

The sales were successful, they usually are, but they cater for a small minority in the harness racing world both national and internationally. Few can afford to buy a horse let alone race one unless they are syndicate members. Syndicates are OK but most will struggle to make money. It is a great way to have an interest in a horse and exciting for the owners if they get a good 'un. But there are more poor, slow ones than competitive horses.

Harness racing is struggling around the country except for the strongholds of Canterbury and Southland. Michael House is keeping Central Districts afloat and Auckland is a terrible mess. Canterbury and Southland racing attract good fields but the likes of Nelson, Blenheim, the West Coast and Forbury have piss poor weak fields full of slow horses. Crowd numbers are falling and few new fans would venture to the likes of Forbury to watch given the calibre of horse on display.

There are few up and coming trainers and drivers with the exception of Regan Todd and Michelle Kerr. Drivers likewise Sarah O'Reilly and Sheree Tomkinkson are the standouts, the rest including B. Hope are mediocre. If that young fellow keeps driving the way he did last night a serious accident will occur with both horses and drivers injured badly.

The corrupt Winston Peters had done nothing for harness racing and he never will.

Brodie is right, harness racing is facing a bleak future if things do not change fast.

8 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Every investment has a measure of risk ,even bank deposits  as banks do fail from time to time.

Many of the Studs and AS owners will be doing very nicely Brodie as will individual owners who purchased or bred a good horse. You might want to also include those owners who have sod horse domestically or offshore. Didnt Grand Chico go for 400k Plus, a nice earner dont you think.

You see things differently  which is entirely your prerogative to be negative, some of us are more blue sky types.

Greg

Yes there will be the very odd one that will make a small profit on racing horses, very very odd one!

I am sure that they get a lot,of enjoyment out of winning races, however I would want a far greater return on the money invested!

22 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

I agree my old mate.

There are problems galore with harness racing and I have doubts that it will survive more than another decade or two.

The sales were successful, they usually are, but they cater for a small minority in the harness racing world both national and internationally. Few can afford to buy a horse let alone race one unless they are syndicate members. Syndicates are OK but most will struggle to make money. It is a great way to have an interest in a horse and exciting for the owners if they get a good 'un. But there are more poor, slow ones than competitive horses.

Harness racing is struggling around the country except for the strongholds of Canterbury and Southland. Michael House is keeping Central Districts afloat and Auckland is a terrible mess. Canterbury and Southland racing attract good fields but the likes of Nelson, Blenheim, the West Coast and Forbury have piss poor weak fields full of slow horses. Crowd numbers are falling and few new fans would venture to the likes of Forbury to watch given the calibre of horse on display.

There are few up and coming trainers and drivers with the exception of Regan Todd and Michelle Kerr. Drivers likewise Sarah O'Reilly and Sheree Tomkinkson are the standouts, the rest including B. Hope are mediocre. If that young fellow keeps driving the way he did last night a serious accident will occur with both horses and drivers injured badly.

The corrupt Winston Peters had done nothing for harness racing and he never will.

Brodie is right, harness racing is facing a bleak future if things do not change fast.

Old Whiteman, some will say very negative posting, but you are on the money without doubt.

Too many won’t speak up and officialdom gets away with making many very poor decisions, without thought for the consequences.

12 hours ago, Brodie said:

I am sure that they get a lot,of enjoyment out of winning races, however I would want a far greater return on the money invested

Well your not going to get a far greater return  so why not look at something else bar harness racing  since your clearly money obsessed.

Moaning about poor returns on here is not going to solve anything except feed your negativity and obvious frustration. Are you one of those types who is happiest when they are negative and unhappy???

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

The end is nigh,  OWM

Greg

I believe so you young whipper snapper.

Unlike Brodie I don't think All Stars domination will be the cause of the death of harness racing. I believe animal rights will be. Scoff if you wish but there is a growing trend worldwide against cruelty to animals. Ongoing research shows that animals feel pain and suffer psychological harm from activities such as horses racing. Harness racing could front foot this by banning whips, something my good friend Brodie is vehemently against. Mark my words animal rights activists will soon direct their anger towards horse racing in general. Currently, they are focussed on rodeos and they have nearly killed that inhumane "sport". Once rodeos are banned, horse and greyhound racing will be their next target. 

The end is nigh and it may come sooner than you think.

• Champ Post 1

There are several things at play that is slowly killing harness racing.

The cost of owning and having trained horses compared to return  is probably the main one.

The coming generations are not going  to be able to afford or want to race horses if there is absolutely no decent return on money spent.

Young trainers won’t be able to afford the cost of land to train.

TAB not interested in harness racing, more money in Sports betting!!

Younger people not interested in racing unless it is Cup Day and that is not to do with racing!

Personally don’t think animal activists are a worry, as racing is not cruel on horses.

Far worse things being done to animals, like eating them!!!!

If the racing industry show weakness like HRNZ did with the whip rule, then there will be issues!

AllStars dominance in plundering all the major stakes money is also a major problem but that is included in the fact that there is very little

return nowadays in racing a horse for the majority of owners!

The fact was this week, the buyers of most of the horses was the major stables with next to no new owners wanting to pay $40k for a horse with the prospect of even coming out with a profit being extremely low!

• Haha 1

Brodie and Oldwhiteman remind me of that USA 1980's climate scientist and his predictions about major cities being under water by 2005. The end is nigh albeit for different reasons according to their above posts

Im a more optimistic type and think racing will survive  for a long time yet.

Im sure others will take the opportunity to say what side of the street they walk on and good on each and every one of them

Greg

Brodie and Oldwhiteman remind me of that USA 1980's climate scientist and his predictions about major cities being under water by 2005. The end is nigh albeit for different reasons according to their above posts

Im sure others will take the opportunity to say what side of the street they walk on and good on each and every one of them

Greg

what has the crap you have posted got to do with the yearling sales??????????

• Haha 1

Greg

Greg,  I am pleased that you are optimistic about harness racing and I hope you are right!

However, can you kindly point out why you are optimistic?

Please detail why you think harness racing has got a big future in NZ, especially when Auckland is stuffed, CD is stuffed, Dunedin is stuffed and upper S.I. Is not too flash either!!!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Please detail why you think harness racing has got a big future in NZ,

Oh Brodie , how you have misconstrued my comment. I NEVER said it had a big future, merely that it will be a round for a long time to come. Historically its been around for over a century worldwide and as i am an optimist/realist harness racing will continue to proceed in NZ for decades to come.

Thats my read , yours is different , time to agree to disagree. I will continue to invest  just as others will . I suggest Bank deposits and mutual funds will give you a better return albeit with little fun.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Greg,  I am pleased that you are optimistic about harness racing and I hope you are right!

However, can you kindly point out why you are optimistic?

Please detail why you think harness racing has got a big future in NZ, especially when Auckland is stuffed, CD is stuffed, Dunedin is stuffed and upper S.I. Is not too flash either!!!

got to say brodie and oldwhiteman always on the money 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Greg

I am not a scientist Greg, but I am a realist. It is time that you and my good friend Brodie woke up. Animal rights are totally different than climate science. Ignore and mock if you wish. I can guarantee that horse racing, mostly TB (harness will be caught up in the melee), will be targeted by activists. I can guarantee you that famous meetings like the Melbourne Cup , Ascot and Kentucky Derby will soon see unprecedented protests from animal rights activists. Mark my words, horse racing is unnatural and hard on a horse, both physically and emotionally. Like any athlete injuries occur with horses and these injuries are often fatal. Wait till the day when a horse breaks down and has to be put down while activists are on-course. Sadly, this has already happened in the Melbourne Cup, next time it happens and that could be in 2020 pandemonium will break loose. Today, many people will not tolerate animal cruelty and this movement will continue to swell. Optimism has zero to do with this issue. Animal rights will stop horse racing within the next decade or two.

Whiteman, animal activists will stop harness racing within the next 20 years?
There will be other things at play that will do far more damage inside the next 5 to 10 years!

Not seeing any activists at Addington but it would help the of course attendance a bit!
There are not enough new people coming into the industry, which includes punters, owners and trainers!!!!!

Personally do not rate Animal Activists as they would be far better putting their efforts into protesting about things that concern human beings rather than animals.

Some just protest about anything including this so-called Global Warming that’s right I meant Climate Change!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Whiteman, animal activists will stop harness racing within the next 20 years?
There will be other things at play that will do far more damage inside the next 5 to 10 years!

Not seeing any activists at Addington but it would help the of course attendance a bit!
There are not enough new people coming into the industry, which includes punters, owners and trainers!!!!!

Personally do not rate Animal Activists as they would be far better putting their efforts into protesting about things that concern human beings rather than animals.

Some just protest about anything including this so-called Global Warming that’s right I meant Climate Change!!!

Yes, I believe so.

Harness racing is not as hard on a horse as the TB game so that is why animal activists have not targetted Addington, yet. However, whip use is a problem. Particularly, with the likes of B Hope who drove a poor race last night, excessive whip use, no control of the horse and driving like a stagecoach driver with hands held high like in a Western movie. What was he thinking? It was not a good look and it is drives like that attract the condemnation of activists. Contrast Hopes' driving style with the promoted horses driver, the best junior in the country Sarah O'Reilly, she never moved a muscle, smooth and controlled. 

As usual my old mate you have cherry picked my comments to suit your argument. Due to racing injuries many TB horses are put down on course. You know this, I know this. There is no dispute. Animal activists are concerned about animals and their rights Brodie. Human rights are covered by the likes of our hug meister PM, Ms Ardern. 

You are right my friend, Addington is unlikely to be targeted by animal rights protesters. It's more likely to be targeted by alcohol abuse activists particlulary on Cup Day that these days as you correctly state has zero to do with harness racing. The NZ Cup, the ultimate meeting in the country for harness fans, has been ruined by the involvement of the CCC and the so-called Cup Week Carnival. Today, both Addington Cup Day and final day of Riccarton TB cup meetings are a piss-up for people with zero interest in horse racing. Sadly, this will also result in the demise of both days sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

I am not a scientist Greg, but I am a realist. It is time that you and my good friend Brodie woke up. Animal rights are totally different than climate science. Ignore and mock if you wish. I can guarantee that horse racing, mostly TB (harness will be caught up in the melee), will be targeted by activists. I can guarantee you that famous meetings like the Melbourne Cup , Ascot and Kentucky Derby will soon see unprecedented protests from animal rights activists. Mark my words, horse racing is unnatural and hard on a horse, both physically and emotionally. Like any athlete injuries occur with horses and these injuries are often fatal. Wait till the day when a horse breaks down and has to be put down while activists are on-course. Sadly, this has already happened in the Melbourne Cup, next time it happens and that could be in 2020 pandemonium will break loose. Today, many people will not tolerate animal cruelty and this movement will continue to swell. Optimism has zero to do with this issue. Animal rights will stop horse racing within the next decade or two.

I'm afraid to say it but you are so right here.

The animal rights terrorists are coming for horse racing and they won't differentiate between harness racing and the TB's.

The banning of horse racing will start in California an once these terrorists get a sniff of victory there will be no stopping them.

• Champ Post 1