Bit Of A Yarn

First day of NZB Sales

4 minutes ago, Blossom lady said:

I'm afraid to say it but you are so right here.

The animal rights terrorists are coming for horse racing and they won't differentiate between harness racing and the TB's.

The banning of horse racing will start in California an once these terrorists get a sniff of victory there will be no stopping them.

Get a grip. Animal rights protesters are not terrorists far from it. To date, as far as I am aware, animal rights activists have killed zero people. When animal rights activists have slaughtered millions of innocents like the misguided followers of the religion of peace have then you can call them terrorists. People have abused animals for centuries, that will soon end and no longer be tolerated. 

Whiteman, as I say I don’t see the animal welfare brigade as a big worry for harness racing!

It is only a worry if the officialdom are as weak as piss!

Tell them to sling their hook, as their are far greater things that happen to animals tha. Racing horses.

We breed animals to eat!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

I am not a scientist Greg,

No i get that and also you are not that sharp on comprehension given your reply. Ill put it another way for you, a lot of doomsday posters on here are no different to those who wish to protest and act as experts when they are consistently proven wrong, just as that discredited Climate scientist was. The cities are not under water and i postulate that racing will continue well after you, me and Brodie are pushing up daisies.

Greg

2 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Get a grip. Animal rights protesters are not terrorists far from it. To date, as far as I am aware, animal rights activists have killed zero people. When animal rights activists have slaughtered millions of innocents like the misguided followers of the religion of peace have then you can call them terrorists. People have abused animals for centuries, that will soon end and no longer be tolerated. 

I call them terrorists as like the ones you mentioned they have only one view and want to impose there views on the non believers. 

From your reply I take it you are either a member of PETA or SAFE or is it both?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/02/2020 at 5:00 PM, OLDWHITEMAN said:

I agree my old mate.

There are problems galore with harness racing and I have doubts that it will survive more than another decade or two.

The sales were successful, they usually are, but they cater for a small minority in the harness racing world both national and internationally. Few can afford to buy a horse let alone race one unless they are syndicate members. Syndicates are OK but most will struggle to make money. It is a great way to have an interest in a horse and exciting for the owners if they get a good 'un. But there are more poor, slow ones than competitive horses.

Harness racing is struggling around the country except for the strongholds of Canterbury and Southland. Michael House is keeping Central Districts afloat and Auckland is a terrible mess. Canterbury and Southland racing attract good fields but the likes of Nelson, Blenheim, the West Coast and Forbury have piss poor weak fields full of slow horses. Crowd numbers are falling and few new fans would venture to the likes of Forbury to watch given the calibre of horse on display.

There are few up and coming trainers and drivers with the exception of Regan Todd and Michelle Kerr. Drivers likewise Sarah O'Reilly and Sheree Tomkinkson are the standouts, the rest including B. Hope are mediocre. If that young fellow keeps driving the way he did last night a serious accident will occur with both horses and drivers injured badly.

The corrupt Winston Peters had done nothing for harness racing and he never will.

Brodie is right, harness racing is facing a bleak future if things do not change fast.

Not quite sure Michelle is the trainer you think he is!

Since the weather warmed up he hasn't looked like training a winner! Have to keep those beers cold!

The word on the street is the RIU wasn't happy about those warm beers!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

I'm afraid to say it but you are so right here.

The animal rights terrorists are coming for horse racing and they won't differentiate between harness racing and the TB's.

The banning of horse racing will start in California an once these terrorists get a sniff of victory there will be no stopping them.

There is nothing to panic about in regards to animal activists for harness racing. 

Once the epitome of cruelty is removed, namely jumps racing, things will settle down and it will be decades, if ever, that harness will be under the spotlight. Unless of course some racing idiots (the real terrorists) use fridge gas or metal lined whips on horses, then all bets are off.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

There is nothing to panic about in regards to animal activists for harness racing. 

Once the epitome of cruelty is removed, namely jumps racing, things will settle down and it will be decades, if ever, that harness will be under the spotlight. Unless of course some racing idiots (the real terrorists) use fridge gas or metal lined whips on horses, then all bets are off.

I wish you were right. But what's been happening at Santa Anita has brought non jumps racing into the media spotlight. And harness racing gets tarred with the same brush. It will be a minor miracle if California doesn't ban horse racing .

The animal rights movement has already got the dishlickers banned in Florida. You have your head in the sand if you don't think they will gain momentum from these actions. They will be coming full force for all racing codes in the near future.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

You have your head in the sand if you don't think they will gain momentum from these actions. They will be coming full force for all racing codes in the near future.

Santa Anita needs to sort itself out for sure and they are putting their own head in a noose but you are overstating the power these groups have if they are given little or no fuel. 

As long as harness racing in NZ keeps it act in order then it will be fine. It is far more likely the industry will kill itself through the actions of its own participants than it is by some animal activists. I would consider a trainer who uses a gas from a fridge or whatever was reported in the Star or dog trainer who live baits a far worse individual than a person who wants animals looked after.  

That is why I think Jumps racing should be banned because the horrific scenes of horses and people falling in these races on a constant basis and is an intentionally dangerous practice which kills. Stupid to continue in my view. You are handing these 'terrorists' a loaded gun.

If an animal activist is a terrorist what do yo call people who live bait etc?

• Like 1

On 22/02/2020 at 9:25 PM, Blossom lady said:

I call them terrorists as like the ones you mentioned they have only one view and want to impose there views on the non believers. 

From your reply I take it you are either a member of PETA or SAFE or is it both?

Wrong, I am not a member of any of those organisations.

The club I belong to is the Brodie fan club.

• Like 1