Bit Of A Yarn

First day of NZB Sales

15 hours ago, Roman said:

Some you couldn't even give away from lots I watched on fb live. Good to see high priced lots go around to different people, plus some "younger" buyers getting a go

"Getting a go"?

What are you on about? What have "younger" buyers go to do with it? Auctions are sales in which items for sale are sold to the highest bidder. If you have the money and outbid everyone else you take the prize regardless of age or gender. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

32 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

"Getting a go"?

What are you on about? What have "younger" buyers go to do with it? Auctions are sales in which items for sale are sold to the highest bidder. If you have the money and outbid everyone else you take the prize regardless of age or gender. 

plus your got to be a good judge of what your buying

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

"Getting a go"?

Jesus christ on a motor bike! It was just a poor choice of words. Shoot me now. 

I know how an auction works me old mate

• Haha 1

Haven’t looked at the average or median for the second day, and there seemed to be some reasonable sale prices but from what  looked at in the results, seemed to be a heck of  a lot of Passed In.

Seemed also to be the same buyers and not many new ones.

The bigger stable trainers were clearly buying and then will be hoping to get people to take shares In them.

Hope it works out for them but I am sure there are going to be more breeders giving it away, as some of the prices wouldn’t even recover the service fee!

6 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Haven’t looked at the average or median for the second day, and there seemed to be some reasonable sale prices but from what  looked at in the results, seemed to be a heck of  a lot of Passed In.

The strong demand for quality stock over the past two days continued into the Christchurch Sale of Pacers today, which saw 149 yearlings sell for an aggregate of $6,479,500. The average and median closed at $43,487 and $30,000 respectively, while the clearance rate settled at 78%.

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

seemed to be a heck of  a lot of Passed In.

Standard practice these days Brodie. Some vendors never intend to sell whilst others have totally unrealistic expectations.

I would have thought on balance that NZB would be happy as should most vendors  given the aggregate for the 3 days sales totaled  just over 12 mio.

Greg

15 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Standard practice these days Brodie. Some vendors never intend to sell whilst others have totally unrealistic expectations.

I would have thought on balance that NZB would be happy as should most vendors  given the aggregate for the 3 days sales totaled  just over 12 mio.

Greg

Fair enough 

If vendors are happy to breed and happy with what they get then all good.

Some went for good money but others either passed in or a loss maker.

bear in mind that Bettors Delight stands at just under the median at $25k plus gust so that puts things into perspective doesn’t it?
Yes people enjoy breeding as a hobby but unless you have a successful mate and go to an expensive stallion you are unlikely to be making much if any.

Certainly far easier ways of making money but then again it isn’t all about the cash in racing nowadays as we know.

Just hope enough people continue in racing to make it continue

Edited by Brodie

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

bear in mind that Bettors Delight stands at just under the median at $25k

I was told by a few breeders that BD service was lower than the figure you quoted, as with most things perhaps deals are  done.

Secondly , most people dont fixate as you do on the profitability or otherwise of racing horses, they already have disposable/discretionary income to spend on leisure activities. If you think Harness returns are bad then dont ever contemplate TB's

Greg

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

I was told by a few breeders that BD service was lower than the figure you quoted, as with most things perhaps deals are  done.

Secondly , most people dont fixate as you do on the profitability or otherwise of racing horses, they already have disposable/discretionary income to spend on leisure activities. If you think Harness returns are bad then dont ever contemplate TB's

Greg

what do you know about the brodsters investment in the industry greg

is there an off the track in the pipeline  

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

what do you know about the brodsters investment in the industry greg

is there an off the track in the pipeline  

I know nothing apart from what he continually posts, namely

"Certainly far easier ways of making money but then again it isn’t all about the cash in racing nowadays as we know.

and

The game is dying as the money is not being shared around

and

he does not bet anymore because he is limited by TAB and  will not bet until their AML policy is changed.

I am not in any way bagging Brodie , just making factual observations as to how he sees the game  which he is entirely entitled to do as far as im concerned

Greg

24 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

I am not in any way bagging Brodie , just making factual observations as to how he sees the game  which he is entirely entitled to do as far as im concerned

you come across as every ones friend on the telly greg

whilst he has been accused of many things i can't imagine the brodster being accused of wearing rose tinted glasses

Edited by Rangatira
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

you come across as every ones friend on the telly greg

whilst he has been accused of many things i can't imagine the brodster being accused of wearing rose tinted glasses

JJ flash, is not Greg O’Connor!

Forums are designed for expressing your opinion, and that is what we have on this Premier site.

You can not consider harness racing as a form of investment unless you are a successful punter, but with the AML restrictions nowadays,

there are far easier ways of investing successfully without the hassles.

Brodie is back as well lol.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Forums are designed for expressing your opinion, and that is what we have on this Premier site.

You can not consider harness racing as a form of investment unless you are a successful punter, but with the AML restrictions nowadays,

there are far easier ways of investing successfully without the hassles.

will have a bet on it what's the odds

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Did not know you went away but welcome back all the same.

11 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

Really  JJ F identity can remain a  secret. The only certainty is my name is still Greg just as yours is Wayne and not of the Higgs variety for obvious reasons?

Greg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I hate to correct you but many of the top owners in both Australia and NZ consider it just that and rightly so.

Greg

To me, an investment is something that you put money into that is going to produce you positive income and a financial return!

Harness Racing would return very very few owners with positive returns, so how could you consider it an investment?

13 minutes ago, Brodie said:

To me, an investment is something that you put money into that is going to produce you positive income and a financial return!

Harness Racing would return very very few owners with positive returns, so how could you consider it an investment?

Every investment has a measure of risk ,even bank deposits  as banks do fail from time to time.

Many of the Studs and AS owners will be doing very nicely Brodie as will individual owners who purchased or bred a good horse. You might want to also include those owners who have sod horse domestically or offshore. Didnt Grand Chico go for 400k Plus, a nice earner dont you think.

You see things differently  which is entirely your prerogative to be negative, some of us are more blue sky types.

Greg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

You see things differently  which is entirely your prerogative to be negative, some of us are more blue sky types.

Maybe not negative but possibly a hint of sour grapes stemming from his betting restrictions showing through on most of his posts I suspect.

If he isn't saying something about it he is definitely thinking of saying something about it.

Don't let it consume you Brodie you will blow a valve!