Bit Of A Yarn

Will Coronavirus be the Death Knell of NZ Racing Industry?

12 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I think you and others need to take on board what the minister wanted  put up in the latest Racing act. A master and servant  issue.

Class, has always been in play re NZ Racing!  

It looks like 'Ownership' has moved more and more back to a area of the Dominate Owner, off a hundred years or so.! It seems to be a Player today! You first must make the $$$$ elsewhere first!

12 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Frankly , some of the responses are quite bizarre. and show how dislocated the NZ racing community. Everyone is offering differing solutions , most of which are simply not attainable without significant cash injections. Would you and others prefer the status quo?

Do you understand what a Sunset Industry is Greg?

17 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

Class, has always been in play re NZ Racing!  

It looks like 'Ownership' has moved more and more back to a area of the Dominate Owner, off a hundred years or so.! It seems to be a Player today! You first must make the $$$$ elsewhere first!

Do you understand what a Sunset Industry is Greg?

Indeed i do ,  and judging by your response you sum up perfectly the point i was making about how dysfunctional the industry is which is one of the major reasons for its decline . I suppose you think MIA Jackson has been a great leader for the TB game over the last 10 years. When the industry participants cant agree on a way forward , as has been the case for years, when someone offers something new everyone goes off  on divergent tangents.

These are just my observations. I'm in the camp of try something new which may save the sinking ship or as you describe it "Sunset Industry" I'm not sure what many of you are for or against at any point in time which may be the reason we are in the situation Messarra and co are trying to rectify.

Greg

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

What is the "new" that is being presented? 

No point in trying to discuss with you chief on this issue , you are far too wise for me and my humble thoughts/observations based on your current replies to me on this subject.

Ill leave it with you and others to discuss

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

On 20/03/2020 at 9:20 PM, The Centaur said:

I don't know which forum but I raised the problem of auditing the TAB with all these so called promotions. I actually worked for the firm auditing the Wellington Racing Club (early seventies) and remember going through all the unclaimed tickets to see if someone from within was absconding with the winnings. That sounds oh so simple to what must be the case now.

This whole fixed odds era is riddled with problems.

Yes it has got more complicated. The Wellington Racing Club need a forensic accountant to go back and see what Fokerd was up to given that he was The Treasurer when they went broke and he has now been struck off for fraud.

Will it happen? No, because the WRC Committee will say that he was a good fellow.

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

No point in trying to discuss with you chief on this issue , you are far too wise for me and my humble thoughts/observations based on your current replies to me on this subject.

Ill leave it with you and others to discuss

Greg

The point is that the Mesara report is just a fancy rewrap of the policies that have been in place for the last 15 years at least except with less stealth.  In my opinion it doesn't get what made NZ racing strong in the past and proposes draconian legislation to ride roughshod in continuing the poor policies that we have experienced in the last 15 years if not longer.  They will fund that through asset sales.

• Like 2