Bit Of A Yarn

NZ Racing Shut Down

Michael, I think May/June is wildly optimistic though it would be great if you are right. Spring - September/October might be a a sensible loose aim at this stage but events over the next few days and weeks will be a guide to that. It could be longer. Of course, horses along with all livestock need to be fed and cared for but they do not require exercise other than in a paddock in most cases. I certainly don't see any case for training facilities to remain open. They are hardly essential services. It would make a mockery of the intent of the level 4 intervention and probably help f&ck the country and contribute to the deaths of 1000s of NZers. Please take this seriously.

• Haha 1

I am and have been taking it seriously thank you. I had a staff member arrive back from HK 5 weeks ago I made him self isolate for 2 weeks then get a doctors clearance perhaps if the govt made others do this at the same time we wouldn't be in this mess so deeply So don't bother telling me to take it seriously

as far as I know most training facilities will remain open so that when we can resume racing there will be horses ready to go. Take your negativity away and apply to something else we need to be positive-that I am SERIOUSLY

• Like 2

Certainly,  if at all possible, some linited training access must be available. 

Transport companies are scrambling to get as many horses shifted in the short available window,  there is simply not the time and/or grazing facilities available to adequately deal with the numbers of horses to be placed.

Ive managed to get half ny team away late yesterday and today, but there is simply no available space anywhere for the rest at short notice. 

I have one who, injured at Ashburton by a defective running rail, needs twice daily dressing of the wound as well as exercise to facilitate healing, he must have a buddy....as the former off-track exercise area is now unavailable due to the sale for housing,  we have to have some options here.

I can vouch for the fact that Michael takes this seriously for sure, far more so than many othets who by their utter stupidity place us all at risk.

Yes, training may be able to proceed where required with suitable distances maintained and only essential staff on hand. Veterinary care as you suggest is I think an essential service. We also need to be able to receive deliveries of feed etc. I remain pessimistic about any May/June resumption though. Time will have to tell on that one. I'm not being negative though Michael,  just trying to be realistic. My own one horse team remains in work at this stage in the hope you are right.

7 hours ago, Freda said:

Certainly,  if at all possible, some linited training access must be available. 

Transport companies are scrambling to get as many horses shifted in the short available window,  there is simply not the time and/or grazing facilities available to adequately deal with the numbers of horses to be placed.

Ive managed to get half ny team away late yesterday and today, but there is simply no available space anywhere for the rest at short notice. 

No problem to Pitman and Parsons et al, they have their own properties to facilitate exercise/training etc, they are also regular users of Woodend and Spencer Park beaches and have their own horse transportation.

M. Pitman does a lot of walking his team in salt water, one of the ways he gets an edge on his competitors !

Agree for animal welfare purposes ONLY.

24 March 2020

The TAB and New Zealand Racing are taking steps to close retail outlets and temporarily suspend all racing following the announcement that New Zealand would move to Alert Level 4 of the COVID-19 alert system in 48 hours. 

Betting will still be available on tab.co.nz. A move from Alert Level 3 to Alert Level 4 at 11.59pm on Wednesday, 25 March for 4 weeks (minimum) requires the cancellation of all indoor and outdoor public gathering and all non-essential businesses to close.

The decision to suspend all racing from Tuesday 24 March to Tuesday 21 April follows a meeting of New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing, Harness Racing New Zealand, Greyhound Racing New Zealand and the TAB today to discuss what steps the industry needs to take to protect the livelihoods of its participants. 

The group noted that while the country will effectively be in lockdown, the welfare of our animals remains an essential service during this time and more information on managing animal welfare was expected soon. The Codes and the TAB will continue to hold video conference meetings during the lockdown in response to the unfolding situation.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

If you have a horse in full racing trim doesn't it take a couple of weeks to properly wind it down safely?

Yes. That could possibly be argued for animal welfare purposes but otherwise training racehorses seems to me to surely be a non-essential business that must be closed down by the end of today. Likewise, preparation of training facilities, tracks etc. for other than animal welfare purposes.

Racing did not have to lockdown straight away. Instead a planned lockdown from 1 June would have been best solution. Its clear that RITA and NZTR made no effort to counter Jacinda Ardern's belief that anything UK does then NZ must do.

Chief Stipe, This might be good time to send out invites to key managers of racing to participate in forum discussions.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Racing did not have to lockdown straight away. Instead a planned lockdown from 1 June would have been best solution. Its clear that RITA and NZTR made no effort to counter Jacinda Ardern's belief that anything UK does then NZ must do.

Chief Stipe, This might be good time to send out invites to key managers of racing to participate in forum discussions.

Lucky we live in a world where people can have different views. Racing hasn't been the target of the very recent changes. And given the approach taken for NZ, I certainly agree therefore that racing should be stopped. Why treat racing any different to the local hairdresser?

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

Lucky we live in a world where people can have different views. Racing hasn't been the target of the very recent changes. And given the approach taken for NZ, I certainly agree therefore that racing should be stopped. Why treat racing any different to the local hairdresser?

true...most people end up with a haircut ….regardless.

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

What? and destroy the country and kill a few thousand more kiwis. You have to be taking the piss.

1 hour ago, curious said:

What? and destroy the country and kill a few thousand more kiwis. You have to be taking the piss.

You may have a point but training a racehorse and racing doesn't really mean much close interaction even for services down the track. Could well be that the people involved will now get into situations with more interaction. There are going to be numerous anomalies.

1 hour ago, curious said:

I think it might be too late Curious.  The Government acted far too slowly and I see they are making exceptions all along the way now.  For example they have just extended the time for NZ'ers to return to NZ to Friday.  The inter-islander ferries have been given extra time as well.  If they were serious then a lock down would be a lock down.

Plus looking at the LONG list of ESSENTIAL services there will still be a lot of people still working.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

You may have a point but training a racehorse and racing doesn't really mean much close interaction even for services down the track. Could well be that the people involved will now get into situations with more interaction. There are going to be numerous anomalies.

Maybe at level 3 but certainly NOT at level 4 which should have been in place a week ago.

MPI decision on "essential services"

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter
NZTR
25 March 2020
In light of the government’s announcement that the country will move to COVID-19 alert level 4 at midnight tonight (25 March) only “essential services” are permitted to operate.

Our advice from the Ministry for Primary Industries confirms that training centres, training stables, agistment properties and stud farms where horses are in containment are considered essential services under animal welfare considerations.

Businesses with more than five people (including the owner) working at each business site, or who cannot achieve social distancing between staff, are required to register.  The criteria and registration form can be found here.

The businesses will need to answer 11 questions to provide assurance they have a plan and process to manage infection risks.  Much of this will be covered in the NZTR protocols which will be distributed later today.

In addition to this NZTR, the NZ Trainers’ Association and the NZ Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association will be providing a template to assist with completing the paperwork in a further communication later today.

MPI has requested that all businesses which need to register do so by 5pm on Friday, 27 March 2020.  Businesses will be able to continue operating while going through the registration process.