Bit Of A Yarn

NZ Cup: Weakest Field Since 2000?

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/03/2020 at 5:35 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Which one do you think? I pulled out the ones I thought seemed to be the weakest. While there has been some concern about the quality of the field in recent years it seems to be a cyclical thing.

Yulestar, Flashing Red, Terror to Love or Monkey King?

image.thumb.png.21cb1335147fae19af4e617a7d89f89f.png

image.thumb.png.a9ef6ccfa944842a217af6978148f4a3.png

image.thumb.png.c52c5cdf21ec7b5b32b9a105bc7859fb.pngimage.thumb.png.1952cba99d61940e45354f18d4bc0ffd.png

what is this years cup going to look like???

• Haha 1

Very difficult to decide what was the weakest of those 4 cup fields!

However, Monkey King came from 17 and went as slow as any of the 4 races.

The deciding factor for me is how could the pony Lord Forbes run in a NZ Cup and be only 6 lengths from the winner????

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

The deciding factor for me is how could the pony Lord Forbes run in a NZ Cup and be only 6 lengths from the winner????

Lord forbes was the first horse in southland to break 4m for 3200m when he went 3.58.6 in the wyndham cup.,only 2 seconds outside the then nz record held by changeover. He was a great wee horse to his connections. 

You just don't see those owned/trained/driven horses anymore progress to the highest levels.  That and the small time trainers with the good horses used to make the nz cup a great race,but now days that type of person and horse doesn't exist.  And the constant domination of one stable in the nz cup has made it lose its past appeal to many of the regular harness racing followers,and has led to the realization from the small time trainer that success in that type of race is no longer realistic if they keep training. 

Its a bit like the melbourne cup which used to have horses with household names run in them,now the melbourne cup has a field with half them having there first start in australasia that no one has heard of. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rusty said:

Flashing Red's cup field looks the weakest in my opinion. 

I’d argue it’s the strongest depth wise

Cobbity Classic was a good grand circuit performer

Mainland Banner won a cup as a 4yo mare

Tribute and Roman Gladiator won sires stakes finals

Howard Bromac won an Auckland Cup

Baileys Dream won plenty of big races

London Legend was a good horse just below the top ones

The Flyin Doctor talented but unsound 

If you’re looking for the weakest Cup since 2000 it would have to be Kym’s Girl’s although she beat two other cup winners

6 hours ago, Invasion of Privacy said:

I’d argue it’s the strongest depth wise

Cobbity Classic was a good grand circuit performer

Mainland Banner won a cup as a 4yo mare

Tribute and Roman Gladiator won sires stakes finals

Howard Bromac won an Auckland Cup

Baileys Dream won plenty of big races

London Legend was a good horse just below the top ones

The Flyin Doctor talented but unsound 

If you’re looking for the weakest Cup since 2000 it would have to be Kym’s Girl’s although she beat two other cup winners

I disagree, but good on ya champ for posting your opinion. That's what makes racing great. So many different opinions.

For mine the 2005 cup (Mainland Banner) has to be the weakest in a very long time, before or after '05. What a bunch of cats. Except for Just An Excuse.