Bit Of A Yarn

Health System "Stretched"! Uh? Be Vigilant of Crap Jounalism

I just saw a headline Health System "Stretched".  Uh?  What are the facts?

There have been 514 reported cases of Covid-19.  I emphasise have been because 56 people have recovered.  So there are 458 people that we know of with the virus.  The total the nation should be reporting is the current ACTIVE cases that is what is putting "stress" on the health system.

Let's break the 458 down further.

1 patient is in ICU not 458 but ONE.  That's one less than 2! Looking at that number in a different way it is 0.2% of those infected.

1 patient has died supposedly due to the virus.  I say supposedly because it has been reported the woman in her 70's had other underlying health issues.  Yes it is sad for her family but is it "devastating news" for the Nation as the Prime Minister says?  Is it any more or less devastating than the death of a rubbish collector (an essential service) who working alone was crushed between his truck and a building wall?

12 people have been hospitalised.  Yes 12 - a dozen.  How does this stretch the health system?  All elective surgery and most surgery that can wait has been postponed.  So surely 12 extra people isn't going to "stretch" the health system.

For sure there is a possibility that if the lockdown doesn't achieve its goal then the health system will be stretched.  But don't report it is when it isn't!

Why wail and gnash our teeth or dentures before time?

• Like 8

What a load of rubbish above.

The situation is extremely serious. Don't forget that due to the nature of the problem the health system cannot perform as it normally would. A good proportion of the time safeguarding health workers is the focus. No health worker should be put at risk.

Bed capacity in hospitals means nothing if there are limits on how close and in what numbers patients can be housed. Even travelling in an Ambulance how do we know the virus doesn't remain in the vehicle.

Look up the meaning for exponential growth.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

The situation is extremely serious.

No one had said it isn't serious.  The point being made is alarmist unfactual journalism doesn't help.

21 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Bed capacity in hospitals means nothing if there are limits on how close and in what numbers patients can be housed.

If exponential growth does occur then in a ward of Coronavirus patients distance no longer matters as they all have it.

Currently we have a total of 9 in hospital.

If we are indeed serious about lockdown then NO ONE shoukd be allowed in or out of the country.  Why are we preparing for 10,000 overseas people to return?

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

.  Why are we preparing for 10,000 overseas people to return?

When I was in hospital for several weeks knocked out for some I was surprised at the number of overseas patients particularly from Asia. Staff told me it was significant boost to finances otherwise the tax payer would be paying far more. I would say many of those coming back only because of the better, cheaper accessible health service.

15 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

unfactual journalism

I would call it conflicting journalism. First story is how well the government is doing and how it is under control then the very next story is 80 000 of us may die.

Just like what you are pointing out about the health system.

No wonder people are messed in the head over this virus.

What about the poor woman on the Coast.  Has a lung problem went into hospital and diagnosed with the flu.

I don't think any journalist has asked was she in isolation while in hospital before her condition became acute.

Nurses and other staff don't take precautions and 23 are now in isolation.

Now we read that since the diagnosis which was probably a week ago that no close relatives who have been in contact have been tested.

Test test test is the mantra that countries on top of it have followed.

Why are we spending all this money on preparing for thousands of people to be repatriated.  Send them some money to keep going overseas and spend the rest on testing.

• Like 2

I see radio sport is finished. 

I think quite a few will take this opportunity to get rid of dead wood or things that are semi viable.

Will we see a lot of horses 'disappear' during this time?

And what of Auckland harness with horse numbers and their apartment building? A recession could see the whole thing collapse could it not?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I see radio sport is finished. 

That's a shame.  It was my favourite radio station.

17 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

And what of Auckland harness with horse numbers and their apartment building? A recession could see the whole thing collapse could it not?

Quite probably.  But again that's a shame.  I've lived in Auckland for the last 7 years and visited both Ellerslie and Alexandra Park. 

I found the experience more enjoyable at the trots.  I went to one of their theme nights at Christmas and the food was fantastic and booze prices reasonable. 

Their follow up marketing has been good too.

With regard to the apartment development I think they have been more proactive than Ellerslie.  Bad luck and little reserves doesn't help.

We also need to bear in mind they haven't been helped by RITA either.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 2:54 PM, Chief Stipe said:

That's a shame.  It was my favourite radio station.

Quite probably.  But again that's a shame.  I've lived in Auckland for the last 7 years and visited both Ellerslie and Alexandra Park. 

I found the experience more enjoyable at the trots.  I went to one of their theme nights at Christmas and the food was fantastic and booze prices reasonable. 

Their follow up marketing has been good too.

With regard to the apartment development I think they have been more proactive than Ellerslie.  Bad luck and little reserves doesn't help.

We also need to bear in mind they haven't been helped by RITA either.

The ATC's expertise is in running race meetings, not carrying out property development which they clearly knew little about.

"Race"  also learned the same lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting listen.

DigiByte.IO ??????? on Twitter: "@davidicke Watch the full uncensored video here: https://t.co/6gb0XSmYuB" / Twitter
You replied on Thu 9/04/2020 12:56 PM
prince3
Wed 8/04/2020 11:29 AM