Bit Of A Yarn

Guineas Races

I want to make it quite clear I have never been asked my opinion by any NZ Racing  Officials re shifting the Guineas races North I have registered my disgust with NZTR  And B Saundry

NZ Cup Week is clearly the best week of NZ racing why any one considers changing this week is beyond belief It is over 6 months away FFS!!!

So what is happening with Hastings if the Guineas are being shifted because of Covid 19 then the Gp 1’s there must be due consideration, will Southerners be able to travel and compete, Will they be Retained as Gp1 races?
I believe, for once, common sense will prevail in July and the Guineas Races will not be shifted and remain where they have been successfully run and developed since inception- AT RICCARTON

Tony Pike and many other Northern Trainers have brought horses South and have used Cup Week as a precursor to greater heights why change historic patterns, using Covid -19 AS A REASON is theft by stealth IMO

LEAVE THE GUINEAS WHERE THEY ARE-Develop your own races

• Like 7
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

The Guineas and NZ oaks and cup races should remain at Riccarton. All efforts should be made to to get horses and jockeys there. We can't shift stuff around continually to dodge covid. Use a bit of sense and understand it is with us and like the common cold there  will not for a long time (possibly never} be a vaccine.  We have to live with it and hope it will become less virulent over time while taking sensible personal stepsaround it.

Eljay

• Champ Post 1

There is not too many things that I agree on with Mr Pitman, however on this subject I stand firmly alongside him and many others. Why are they using Covid -19 as an excuse for the move? What are the real reasons for the move? Who and under what advice is behind the switch? This is just another ploy to move the serious racing north to the background of the establishment, the so called racing elite. I doubt that Covid -19 will be a major threat by then however if it is hasn't Riccarton already been given the green light to race under strict conditions? Leave the NZ Cup Meeting for all codes exactly as it is as it is still the pinnacle of NZ Racing it is not broken so leave it alone as there are far more serious problems within NZ Racing that need to be address including the TAB.

Best regards and good health to all,

Earl Shannon

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

Quite.

You have answered your own query,  another ruse to get the Guineas - and keep them -  that has been fomenting for years.

I'm afraid I don't share Pitty's faith here,  but of course, would be happy to be wrong.

Was conversing with a very experienced, former member of the industry recently,  he said that breeders have stuffed the industry and have done so wherever they have been allowed to get their own way.    That's a view I've held for a good while also.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Freda said:

Quite.

You have answered your own query,  another ruse to get the Guineas - and keep them -  that has been fomenting for years.

I'm afraid I don't share Pitty's faith here,  but of course, would be happy to be wrong.

Was conversing with a very experienced, former member of the industry recently,  he said that breeders have stuffed the industry and have done so wherever they have been allowed to get their own way.    That's a view I've held for a good while also.

There was a prominent ex administrator who called them the Bleeders.  I suspect we might be talking  about the same person Pam.  And that is the reason for my statement on another thread(and I hate to say this) - the sooner the international stakes committee sees the reality of NZ racing and removes the group status the better to render those pricks toothless.

Mind you international racing itself could be in for an awful big shakeup after this so who knows?  The international prizemoney escalation has been out of all proportion and there could be a few global players getting a booted arse financially in the near future. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 26/04/2020 at 10:58 AM, Pitman said:

I believe, for once, common sense will prevail in July and the Guineas Races will not be shifted and remain where they have been successfully run and developed since inception- AT RICCARTON

Now that the dust has settled, 

It's good that common sense prevailed and these two historic Group 1 races stay at Riccarton Park, as predicted.

I now wander how those trainers who berated them being run in Christchurch can justify bringing any horses South

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Pitman said:

It's good that common sense prevailed and these two historic Group 1 races stay at Riccarton Park, as predicted.

I now wander how those trainers who berated them being run in Christchurch can justify bringing any horses South

Te Akau will be there with bells on.

Pike will be hiding who raking his new All Weather Track.

2 hours ago, Pitman said:

Yes apparently Te Akau coming in August good owners, good for local farriers, vets, etc

I've recently looked a lot more closely at their racing operation and must say I'm impressed.  Strategically they position their training operations and their cattle to maximise the return to their owners.  They also have some respect for tradition.  I actually contacted them directly and asked specifically their view on shifting the Guineas.  They were firmly in the camp of keeping them at Riccarton.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pitman said:

I think that my trainer was one of those that wanted the Guineas to go North. 
Justify it or not, if my horse is good enough he will be there, he will be, with or without the trainer. 

• Like 1