Bit Of A Yarn

Mick Guerin - 20 Track Closures?

39 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Which ones will go? 

I think I am right in recalling Winston said there would be at least one track in each region and HRNZ said successful financial meetings would stay.

image.thumb.png.d07f4f0d100a2caf0d8cc55fcd1d8175.png

image.thumb.png.2e2f627bbdeabb35d6ce695916174be5.png

image.png.b4efc3e06819376757e9afe675f90043.png

some extinct goodies on this list

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Wyndham is such a good betting track....

image.png.420da19454d3ed2e305575669bbbb872.png

Not sure why they would want to stop racing at Gore given its dual coded and includes gallops meeting from Tapanui and Wyndham. Plus if you close Wyndham they would race at Gore over invercargill given the Sponsorship deals they receive from Mataura Trust. Lets see how smart HRNZ are as it will be their decision just as it is with NZTR as to who stays or goes.

Everyone wanted cost cuts  etc, now your going to see it first hand.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Not sure why they would want to stop racing at Gore given its dual coded and includes gallops meeting from Tapanui and Wyndham. Plus if you close Wyndham they would race at Gore over invercargill given the Sponsorship deals they receive from Mataura Trust. Lets see how smart HRNZ are as it will be their decision just as it is with NZTR as to who stays or goes.

Everyone wanted cost cuts  etc, now your going to see it first hand.

Greg

Greg, these closures are probably needed but Addington will be the only harness track with racing in 5 years time.

Racing down in Southland will go into oblivion as well as there won’t be enough owners and trainers racing for sufficient money to make it viable.

Not sure what your reason for supporting RITA but geez there have been some blatantly stupid decisions made and blatant selfishness with the taking of massive amounts of salaries being paid to employees well beyond what they should be entitled to.

There have been good opportunities over the past decade and yet they have stuffed the industry big time.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

Surely from a breeding point of view Wyndham is a must KEEP, great mile times to be had and as others mentioned a great betting place- I'm sure someone smarter would confirm but you'd think turnover for Wyndham would piss all over Ascot Park turnover.

I look at a place like Oamaru, how many train on the track? Colin Mckay/ Chris McLeod etc but I assume Phil Williamson trains on his own property as do his boys, will we see low number areas like this when the tracks close the hobby trainers fall away or will they make plans with the Williamson's or simular bigger trainers and just use there tracks as a training centre so to speak if feasible.

Unfortunately talking about what tracks are going to close, who is getting redundancy is really a red herring!

I don’t think people in the industry including Winston Peters, realise how dire the situation has become due to mismanagement!

If this was a private business it would now be in receivership and I believe that is what will eventually happen in the next year or two.

Unless the government is going  to continue to throw money at Racing in NZ  then yes It will go into receivership or management of some sort.

The $70m includes $20m for the artificial tracks which I think is money down the drain now!!

Of the $50m there is another $26m or so to go back to their Bank as some FUCKWITS borrowed And now they also have a $17m yearly contingency,  not sure whether this is each and every year, if it is they have to get out of this quick smart.

Effectively they have roughly $20m left from the $70m and how much of this is going to dissappear in redundancies, probably most!

There is no radio coverage, next to no presenters, no form guides apart from online, 

next to no tracks, but yes we will have wall to wall racing from Oz, Dubai, Japan,Budapest, Zimbabwe, Argentina, Tonga, etc etc.

We can bet on our iPads and into a self service machine and no,TAB agencies!!!

The stakes are going to be $5k on a very good day as turnover is going to be dwindling!

These big wigs who draw these exorbitant salaries have stuffed the racing industry as they have no idea on how to run a successful business, as most have always had their noses in the public troughs!!

We will all have to get another interest!

Some won’t agree with the Brodster but as you all know, I am always on the money” unfortunately on this occasion!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

There have been good opportunities over the past decade and yet they have stuffed the industry big time.

NZRB have definitely not helped industry codes over last decade and previously for that matter. Remember section 16 2003.

RITA established to try and fix the broken ship and do what all the participants wanted , cut the cloth to match the income. In short everyone is getting what they said have wanted until it hits their back door and then the crying starts. In that respect i cannot help but commend RITA board for at last addressing  issues and putting racing on a commercial footing. Some will grasp opportunities , others will be left behind. Peters was right about the moaners scratching their asses on the fence.

Just my opinion on the matter but then again im forward looking and a restructuring fan. Better to save some than lose the lot so to speak. Feel free to attack

Greg

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

NZRB have definitely not helped industry codes over last decade and previously for that matter. Remember section 16 2003.

RITA established to try and fix the broken ship and do what all the participants wanted , cut the cloth to match the income. In short everyone is getting what they said have wanted until it hits their back door and then the crying starts. In that respect i cannot help but commend RITA board for at last addressing  issues and putting racing on a commercial footing. Some will grasp opportunities , others will be left behind. Peters was right about the moaners scratching their asses on the fence.

Just my opinion on the matter but then again im forward looking and a restructuring fan. Better to save some than lose the lot so to speak. Feel free to attack

Greg

How do you fix the shit website?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

RITA established to try and fix the broken ship and do what all the participants wanted , cut the cloth to match the income. In short everyone is getting what they said have wanted until it hits their back door and then the crying starts. In that respect i cannot help but commend RITA board for at last addressing  issues and putting racing on a commercial footing.

I don't know what your connection is with racing but it certainly isn't a grassroots one.  You keep pushing this BS narrative about RITA being different to the NZRB.  They're not.  They are all the same players that have been feeding in the trough for years.  Do some research on each of the Board Members.  What have they done in Racing and how successful have they been?  As I said EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has had their head in the trough at some stage.

As for addressing issues and putting racing on a commercial footing - that is absolute bollocks.  They are closing their most profitable tracks, reducing their marketing exposure and are not addressing the core issues that have made them insolvent.

If McKenzie and his Board team had any balls they would be breaking the contracts that are crippling the industry.  I'm sure Winston would have been up for that scrap.  They are hooked into a 10 year contract that is costing them $17m a year plus related costs to support it.  It has 7 years to run - that's $119m! 

That contract isn't the new betting platform which we understand is another $17m a year in licensing.  Even though it cost $30m to customise!  What's the bet they signed up for 10 years on that one because they thought it was cheaper!  First rule in IT NEVER NEVER sign up for long term contracts that involve technology.

48 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Peters was right about the moaners scratching their asses on the fence.

No he was dead wrong.  Many of those people on provincial tracks had put in voluntary hours or donated to their local racing club.  They're entitled to lean against the fence.  Obviously when it isn't their turn to be behind the bar or the tote.

Peter's a charlatan - a Muldoon in brown drag.

I remember when I was on course at the 2006 running of the Grp 3 Taranaki Cup.  The then Minister of Racing, the Right Honourable Winston Peters was also on course.  The horse I had a share in won the Cup.  My biggest day in racing - screwed the TAB bookies well and truly - first group race.  She was favourite by lunch time raceday having been at $17 fixed odds the night before.  Did Winston present the Cup?  No.  Did he give a speech? No.

Where was he during that day?  He was seated at a table in the members stand which had the best view of the track with his blonde partner.  Free drinks were ferried to him.  Did he move all the time he was there.  Didn't seem to.  

Was taken back to the members stand by the Committee carrying the Cup after MY speech.  Was shouted a couple of beers plus I needed security when I collected - CASH!  Did Winston move and congratulate me?  Nup.  Just kept drinking his free Whiskey.  That was 14 years ago!

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

putting racing on a commercial footing.

Sorry I missed that in the Right Honourables announcement.  Is RITA going to pay income tax now?  Are the bloodstock tax incentives being clawed back?

• Like 4

Does anyone have a copy of the draft?

15 May 2020

Consultation with the racing industry on a revised racing calendar from August 2020 to July 2021, which reflects the significant impact of Covid-19 on domestic racing and the critical need for racing industry reform, got underway today. 

The implications of the Covid-19 pandemic on the TAB and the wider industry has necessitated an immediate overhaul of the original, ‘pre-Covid’ draft racing calendar for 2020/21 and proposes a reduction of total meetings, including 43 fewer equine meetings, and with no betting licenses for 14 venues being used for any racing which had been previously allocated in the pre-Covid draft calendar.

Dean McKenzie, Executive Chair, Racing Industry Transition Agency (RITA) said the racing calendar was a critical driver to enable the recovery of New Zealand racing and an essential part of the overall reform programme being led by RITA and the three racing codes.   

“The Covid-19 pandemic has had a devastating impact on racing, and accelerated the need for significant change across all levels of the industry. 

“The leaders of New Zealand racing have repeatedly talked over decades about change but not been courageous enough to address the critical need for venue intensification.  Repeated reports on the industry, including most recently by John Messara, as well as the industry-led future venue plan have identified that there were too many racing venues and this was a commercial drain on limited industry resources. Covid-19 leaves us with no other choice but to act.

“Over the last two years the racing Codes have undertaken considerable work identifying their optimal future venue footprint. The impact of Covid-19 has created greater financial need to accelerate the implementation of the codes’ plans.”

A key principle of the proposed changes are more meetings closer to where the horse and greyhound population is trained, with resulting increased intensification at venues.

“Ensuring meetings are located as close as possible, as often as possible to where the horse and dog population is located will result in improved net returns to the industry,” said McKenzie.  “The racing calendar generates the revenue for the Codes that ultimately end up in the stakes that drive  domestic racing.

“The draft calendar means that some venues will miss out on racing licenses, and that is regrettable, but Covid-19 makes servicing almost 60 venues simply unsustainable and unappealing to the owners and participants who travel the length and breadth of NZ for meetings. Maximising the total returns to all of racing is the goal of the racing calendar and with revenue likely to be further challenged next year we have to cut costs and deliver the most efficient programme of racing possible.”

Bernard Saundry, CEO, New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing said, “Every thoroughbred racing club in New Zealand has a history and a part to play.  NZTR has done significant work over the past 18 months on a venue plan which will future proof the racing industry.   We recognise that the calendar for 2020-21 looks very different to previous seasons with fewer meetings at fewer venues.   The industry cannot survive, let alone move ahead, if we try to fit 2020s racing into a mould which was created last century.”

Peter Jensen, CEO, Harness Racing New Zealand said, “The Government and industry participants have for some time been calling for meaningful change to the way racing is run.  HRNZ and the wider industry needs to change and reposition itself to make its offer attractive and relevant to a wider audience. The Covid-19 pandemic has been the catalyst to accelerate the pace of change, however the reality is that proposed changes to our venue footprint are required to help harness racing become more sustainable, through increasing turnover, improving club’s stakes to funding ratio, and decreasing costs to RITA, clubs, licensees and owners.”

Michael Dore, Racing Operations and Welfare Manager of Greyhound Racing New Zealand said, “"For a number of years the GRNZ calendar has more-or-less followed the same weekly pattern of meetings.  Travel restrictions imposed by the return from Covid-19 meant changes  to our Monday and Tuesday routines.  We  are committed to maintaining a safe and sustainable racing product and the current situation gives us the opportunity to re-evaluate our racing product and continue with this pattern into the new season to minimise owners’ costs. The consultation period will allow some time for further evaluation of these changes before progressing to the Final Calendar.”

McKenzie said this week’s announcement by the Government of two synthetic racing tracks didn’t feature in the draft racing calendar for 2020/21 as it was unlikely these would be built in time to support racing this season.

“The draft calendar includes six meetings at the Cambridge synthetic track, which is currently being developed. Having another two world-class synthetic tracks operational in the near future will provide a further opportunity to review our racing venue footprint and ensure the industry delivers on the ambition laid by the Racing Minister ‘to make racing great again’.

“These proposals are challenging for everyone in the industry, however action is required as the status quo is not sustainable. While RITA would like to see some further alignment between the codes with their plans going forward with some venues, the progress made with this calendar is very encouraging. RITA commends the racing codes for their leadership and courage in embracing change and making decisions in the best overall interests of the industry’, said McKenzie.

A draft racing calendar has been released to racing clubs with consultation on the draft closing on 15 June. It is expected a final calendar will be released on 3 July, prior to the commencement of a new year of racing on August 1.

So here is my question, does this mean the venues will be brought back the following season or does it mean see you later forever? 

This needs to be spelt out very clearly.

Do those clubs fold as entities? because even if the likes of Wyndham race at Invercargill, or Waimate at Oamaru, why would they bother as it is not benefiting their own community?

image.png.68e5f9aaceea0b8091b553bb4d747395.png

1 hour ago, Wobbler said:

Looks like the end of me.The amount of travelling now thrust upon me by out of touch plonkers is unreal .Looks like there will be a few horses ,floats,

sulkys and a whole lot of gear for sale.

Which would be the nearest course to you when this takes effect?

21 hours ago, Brodie said:

Not sure what your reason for supporting RITA but geez there have been some blatantly stupid decisions made and blatant selfishness with the taking of massive amounts of salaries being paid to employees well beyond what they should be entitled to.

Stop confusing  current  salaries as being something RITA introduced which is and has been my base case for not bagging them.. Those in the management team had their salaries decided way before RITA took over. We are talking Allen and Glenda here and some before then.

Can you or anyone tell us what the current CEO is on?? I did not think so.J Allen was 750K according to some figures i have seen quoted and both he and CFO have departed

I am almost certain that the RITA board will be looking to downsize management team in the near future but with a thing called Employment Contracts Act  you cant just cut salaries . You would need to carry out  restructuring which is both a timely and expensive process from a redundancy point of view. That may well be what is currently going on

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash

30 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Can you or anyone tell us what the current CEO is on?? I did not think so.J Allen was 750K according to some figures i have seen quoted and both he and CFO have departed

We'd know if there was a half-yearly report.  I bet you McKenzie isn't doing the job for nothing.