Bit Of A Yarn

Addington Tips

47 minutes ago, the galah said:

As far as mobile starts go,i have said many times that if you want to get horses to break then you drive the mobile too slow.Just watch the videos. Its so obvious.  You rarely see horses break in canterbury because the mobile is going too slow,but you often see it at invercargill.

I think the mobile goes too fast sometimes for horses drawn on the outside of the gate at Addington. They are the last to get going and seem to be in a rush to catch the gate at times. Trotters especially. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

I don't want to bleat on about Lamb for too long so this will be my last post on this thread. But the other thing too, is the manner/tone he chooses to direct at drivers/horses. 

Barking out orders, along with general life advice in the (sometimes arrogant) fashion he does, it could be argued it's not conducive to a good, successful, harmonious and respectful team environment. I say team, because the starter, starter's assistants and drivers, all their work combined, should be a team effort, and not a "them and us" mentality. They all have their role to play. And then of course there are the horses, but one human seems to be the main issue here. 

We're not playing tiddlywinks...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I think the mobile goes too fast sometimes for horses drawn on the outside of the gate at Addington. They are the last to get going and seem to be in a rush to catch the gate at times. Trotters especially. 

It may appear like that,but the outside horses are the first to turn in and get their chance to be on the mobile arm. In fact the mobile being driven at a constant speed should be what those first onto the mobile want. Thats really not a starter cause.

2 minutes ago, the galah said:

It may appear like that,but the outside horses are the first to turn in and get their chance to be on the mobile arm. In fact the mobile being driven at a constant speed should be what those first onto the mobile want. Thats really not a starter cause.

Fair enough.

So drivers should be warned or fined for not getting their horses on the gate more often?

• Like 1

As a punter, I do my wagering on the fact that a horse that I back is up on the gate from a mobile, otherwise my homework is seriously wasted!

From a stand, I expect my horse to be up to the tape before the tape is released by the starter!

If either of these things dont occur I am probably not going to get a collect.

This obviously would not worry the TAB, but to any serious punter, they demand that professionalism is shown by all employees paid by the NZ punter!!

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Fair enough.

So drivers should be warned or fined for not getting their horses on the gate more often?

i think they  hand out warnings when deserved. Sometimes its the horses fault. I like to see those i bet on be up on the gate as it shows the horse is switched on.Also it is noticeable that when a horse who normally is keen to show gate speed is not as keen, then that is normally a clear sign they will underperform, whether they be driven forward or back. The most obvious example of horses who are never switched on is those from the mclellan stable in southland. They have got so used to not trying that they don't even keep up with the mobile anymore and have lost their chance even before they have reached the start.

34 minutes ago, Brodie said:

As a punter, I do my wagering on the fact that a horse that I back is up on the gate from a mobile, otherwise my homework is seriously wasted!

From a stand, I expect my horse to be up to the tape before the tape is released by the starter!

If either of these things dont occur I am probably not going to get a collect.

This obviously would not worry the TAB, but to any serious punter, they demand that professionalism is shown by all employees paid by the NZ punter!!

But if a start is done consistently the same way then the drivers should know to be ready.The issue seems to be more with these big fields where they have two groups of horses off the front,with those who draw in the middle turning in a bit slower than they should.From what i have read the policy is to let them go as long as they are not pacing or trotting,in other words a slow short walk is ok.

If you watch those trotting races in southland,the horse crusher collins always plays up,always then gets a running start,and nearly always there are others in the same race that aren't positioned correctly due to the delay. Have a look at Thats the story for example. I backed it in its last 2 invercargill starts,but neither time did the driver have it anywhere near its correct position,partly because of crusher collins and partly because of the driver.  But who drives them is all part of the factor in how much they are paying.And we can't expect everyone to be as good as Orange or Dunn.

Edited by the galah

Galah, I have had a go a couple of times at Addington on what I thought were good beginners from a standing start!

I expected them to begin well and be handy, but due to the starter letting the tape go when only half the field was ready, it didnt work out that way!

Yes you can say thats racing, however when normally poor beginners are first out due to them being on the move forward, it is not a fair playing field!

The starter is a former policeman and also a Stipendiary Steward and I believe that he is seen to be untouchable!!

• Like 2

On 21/06/2020 at 7:43 PM, the galah said:

If you want to point the finger at a starter just have a look  at the mobile races in invercargill. As i've pointed out before,the speed of the mobile is the cause of so many breakers down there.The worst one yesterday was Jimmy Carter in race 9. The starter down there really needs to be given some advice on what speed a mobile should be driven at. 

Just finished watching the replays of invercargill from saturday just gone, and it looked to me that the starter has upped his game and  all the mobiles starts were good, with the mobile being driven at the ideal speed, which resulted in only 1 breaker pre start all day,which was in the mobile non win trot. Good to see no one being disadvantaged  in the score up. Hope they can keep it up.

• Like 1