Bit Of A Yarn

Addington Tips

More of a question about Race 3 which is not the strongest field on record.

Is Dean Taylor trying to get Ricky May a win?

Robbie Close usually drives for Dean Taylor but has opted for Jenabella who showed a touch of improvement last start but has been a costly horse for punters so far. No stand start record and has drawn 1. Paying plenty.

Buckskin is the form horse of the field but is at FF1.95. Hard to believe really it would ever be under $2 but is also driven by a Dean Taylor driver in Sarah O'Reilly. 

So Ricky May is put on to drive Jake at FF 9 and 2.50 first up after a few trials and running second to Reflectionsofmylife at Ashburton (who is at 7 FF in a better field in Race 2) home in 56.6 and 26.8, though the mile rate was nothing so not so meaningful. Still, it indicates he might be relatively fit after a couple of trials and he still only a 3 year old so might be improving unlike some of these. He has been favourite in some of his starts and run some handy enough races.

Ricky May, to my knowledge, doesn't drive Dean Taylor horses very often at all, so is Jake the horse no one wants to be on or is he is the one to get on while giving Ricky May his winning return drive?

image.thumb.png.bca0b030acc22cca64f4ca52561d4396.png

Very good points Happy.

RT May steered Go Davey to win the Kurow Cup for trainer Dean Taylor a few years back. It's so good seeing Ricky back driving at the races, I wish him all the very best for Addington on Sunday. 

Buckskin has a motor. Has to be one of the better maidens going around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What a terrible start to the race. Half the front line were miles back off the tape.

All of the stands are just terrible.

Used to have to be up on the tape, now as long as you are within 10 metres they are let go!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Used to have to be up on the tape, now as long as you are within 10 metres they are let go!!!!!!!

The editing of the race on HRNZ starts after the beginning because Lamb said 'happy' when he let them go but this is essentially how it looked.

Not the position of the number 3 horse. feel sorry for those who bet on the second line horses. No chance of a fair beginning.

image.thumb.png.9e187fd5ec4a8619e246eebc2345eabd.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The editing of the race on HRNZ starts after the beginning because Lamb said 'happy' when he let them go but this is essentially how it looked.

Not the position of the number 3 horse. feel sorry for those who bet on the second line horses. No chance of a fair beginning.

image.thumb.png.9e187fd5ec4a8619e246eebc2345eabd.png

Seriously, the stands are shocking.

How hard is it to let them go when they are standing near the tape???

They ate all over the place, some standing, some moving up and some standing metres back??.

You wouldve thought the starter was still learning!

• Like 2

How many times has Lamb been roasted in the last few years?

Seriously, Lamb needs to get the chop.

He is the worst starter I have seen baa none.

Last week at Addington just before the start he yelled out: 

"Not a good career move number three!" 

I'm not sure if he knows it or not, but horses don't understand his ramblings.

I wish trackside would get rid of the microphone round at the start for his races. Cut costs. And sell that microphone. Do us all a favour. 

• Like 3

Personally i think his starts are way better these days than they used to be. Overall i think Lamb is doing a good job. I have noticed some drivers often just don't seem to have their horses ready,and others are always ready and well positioned on the tape.

If you want to point the finger at a starter just have a look  at the mobile races in invercargill. As i've pointed out before,the speed of the mobile is the cause of so many breakers down there.The worst one yesterday was Jimmy Carter in race 9. The starter down there really needs to be given some advice on what speed a mobile should be driven at. 

Edited by the galah
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, the galah said:

Personally i think his starts are way better these days than they used to be. Overall i think Lamb is doing a good job. I have noticed some drivers often just don't seem to have their horses ready,and others are always ready and well positioned on the tape.

If you want to point the finger at a starter just have a look  at the mobile races in invercargill. As i've pointed out before,the speed of the mobile is the cause of so many breakers down there.The worst one yesterday was Jimmy Carter in race 9. The starter down there really needs to be given some advice on what speed a mobile should be driven at. 

time for him to stand down and let rick take over as he very good starter . starters assistance team looking over the hill too

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, the galah said:

Is that your Mr Lamb? Surely, you are taking the piss mate? Lamb doing a good job? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I have watched harness racing at Addington for 50 years and Lamb is the worst starter I have seen. 

How this guy still has a job is beyond me. He is incompetent. The number of poor starts he has been involved in must be in the hundreds yet he is still there.

I am baffled to why Lamb still has a job. He has stuffed up so many starts, including New Zealand's premier harness race the NZ Trotting Cup, countless times but nothing said.

Lamb does a piss poor job. Blind Freddy can see that, Stevie Wonder too. 

Sack him!

Edited by OLDWHITEMAN
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

How many times has Lamb been roasted in the last few years?

Seriously, Lamb needs to get the chop.

He is the worst starter I have seen baa none.

Last week at Addington just before the start he yelled out: 

"Not a good career move number three!" 

I'm not sure if he knows it or not, but horses don't understand his ramblings.

I wish trackside would get rid of the microphone round at the start for his races. Cut costs. And sell that microphone. Do us all a favour. 

On the money, mate.

Sack him.

I don't want to bleat on about Lamb for too long so this will be my last post on this thread. But the other thing too, is the manner/tone he chooses to direct at drivers/horses. 

Barking out orders, along with general life advice in the (sometimes arrogant) fashion he does, it could be argued it's not conducive to a good, successful, harmonious and respectful team environment. I say team, because the starter, starter's assistants and drivers, all their work combined, should be a team effort, and not a "them and us" mentality. They all have their role to play. And then of course there are the horses, but one human seems to be the main issue here. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Is that your Mr Lamb? Surely, you are taking the piss mate? Lamb doing a good job? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I have watched harness racing at Addington for 50 years and Lamb is the worst starter I have seen. 

How this guy still has a job is beyond me. He is incompetent. The number of poor starts he has been involved in must be in the hundreds yet he is still there.

I am baffled to why Lamb still has a job. He has stuffed up so many starts, including New Zealand's premier harness race the NZ Trotting Cup, countless times but nothing said.

Lamb does a piss poor job. Blind Freddy can see that, Stevie Wonder too. 

Sack him!

No i'm not mr lamb,don't know him personally,just base my opinions on  my own reviews of each race run in nz.  None of the previous posters seem to have acknowledged that the way he starts races now is vastly different and improved from what it was a couple of seasons ago. Its like most criticising him have the mindset that he should currently be judged on the past and not the present.  I've moved on from being a critic,and now see him as the best in nz. Still each to their own opinion.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, the galah said:

No i'm not mr lamb,don't know him personally,just base my opinions on  my own reviews of each race run in nz.  None of the previous posters seem to have acknowledged that the way he starts races now is vastly different and improved from what it was a couple of seasons ago. Its like most criticising him have the mindset that he should currently be judged on the past and not the present.  I've moved on from being a critic,and now see him as the best in nz. Still each to their own opinion.

should be replaced by rick Donnelly   very good young starter  . how can he be a stipe when your a starter???

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

What a joke. 

Back at the start (due to inability of starter)

image.thumb.png.a38e124c94583d7ec882dbd629066bb6.png

Says it all really!

There just does not  seem to be any real pattern to the way the stands are in Canterbury!!!!

It is like a bag of locorice allsorts, you just dont know what you are going to be getting!

Very rarely do you get a fair start for all horses!

Many are shockers, horses wide out getting several lengths advantage as they are running up when he lets them go.
Many are left lengths behind and you can blame the drivers if you want, however the punter expects a far better deal than this!!!!

Seriously, if this is the best harness can do, then we should do away with standing starts totally, or replace the current starter with someone that can do the job properly.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

i haven,t heard one trainer or driver say that Lamb is a great starter and i have had 

several conversations with them after races if you had a vote among trainers and drivers Lamb or Donnely i reckon Donnely would be more popular than Jacinda and Lamb less popular than what Bridges was

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Says it all really!

There just does not  seem to be any real pattern to the way the stands are in Canterbury!!!!

It is like a bag of locorice allsorts, you just dont know what you are going to be getting!

Very rarely do you get a fair start for all horses!

Many are shockers, horses wide out getting several lengths advantage as they are running up when he lets them go.
Many are left lengths behind and you can blame the drivers if you want, however the punter expects a far better deal than this!!!!

Seriously, if this is the best harness can do, then we should do away with standing starts totally, or replace the current starter with someone that can do the job properly.

Seriously,if you think the starts are inferior in canterbury to anywhere else then you are not watching the same races that i am. 

Also,surely it has occurred to everyone that canterbury often have full 15 horse fields in standing starts,whereas elsewhere they are normally dealing with under 10.  Some seem to be looking for the perfect  start everytime, but no starter is ever going to get that. I agree that in the past many used to get unfair starts from Lamb,but that's the past and he has changed his stance regarding trying to have every horse standing still  like he used too. 

So what is the current procedure  for standing starts that you think most recently was discussed in march and agreed upon by all concerned? If people don't know,should they be commenting on something being wrong when what we are seeing is in fact what has been agreed is wanted.

As far as mobile starts go,i have said many times that if you want to get horses to break then you drive the mobile too slow.Just watch the videos. Its so obvious.  You rarely see horses break in canterbury because the mobile is going too slow,but you often see it at invercargill.

As i have said before also,why is it some drivers are always ready and others not. Thats not a starter issue. If you watch standing starts you would know that if a horse is a half or three quaters length back at the start, they are most likely to begin slower than  they would if they were  closer to the tape. Thats  normally a driver issue or a horse manners issue.

Finally i don't really care who the most popular personality amongst starters is.

Galah, I do not care about personalities as well, just believe that standing starts should be fair just like mobile starts!

If a horse gallops in the run up and checks any other horse before the barrier pulls away, this causes a false start and requires another start!

A standing start should be the same, that if a horse is getting an advantage or is disadvantaged then it should not be a start.

Too often I can see a standing start where some horses are back and yet the tape is let go!!!!!

If your horse misses  away over 2000m from a stand, you are history!

As I say if the starter is not up to the task of giving all horses a fair start, then do away totally with either the standing starts or  the starter!

The start that Happy posted, is not a rare thing!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 1

19 hours ago, the galah said:

None of the previous posters seem to have acknowledged that the way he starts races now is vastly different and improved from what it was a couple of seasons ago

That is somewhat worrying. 

19 hours ago, the galah said:

its like most criticising him have the mindset that he should currently be judged on the past and not the present. 

But this is yesterday and, in my opinion, was a very poorly executed start with no horse even playing up to distract him.

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

Barking out orders, along with general life advice in the (sometimes arrogant) fashion he does, it could be argued it's not conducive to a good, successful, harmonious and respectful team environment.

Valid argument. Reminds of Steve Walsh referring. The 'all about me' syndrome. It has no place at a start where time is of the essence.

• Like 1