Bit Of A Yarn

Chatting with the Chief?

https://www.hrnz.co.nz/news/chatting-with-the-chief/

Catchy title for the video for a whole lot of hot air. Not one thing of note. 

Seems as the though the racing dates are at the mercy of RITA and HRNZ has little influence. Or are they simply passing the buck to the ghost like entity that is RITA?

I really hope, at the very least, RITA keep to the planned number of dates for next season with a reasonable number of tracks because this 2 meetings a week at Addington diet is getting real thin real quick.

51 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Seems as the though the racing dates are at the mercy of RITA and HRNZ has little influence. Or are they simply passing the buck to the ghost like entity that is RITA?

I really hope, at the very least, RITA keep to the planned number of dates for next season with a reasonable number of tracks because this 2 meetings a week at Addington diet is getting real thin real quick.

Are you sick of it already?invercargill thursday,addington friday and sunday,that seems to be the setup they want,we need variety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

One more question,what would you do different from the draft?

41 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

One more question,what would you do different from the draft?

I hope they keep the draft at the very least.

It was concerning when Holden said it was in the hands of RITA. To me, it felt like HRNZ had limited control of what could happen.

I think the nominations for Friday and Sunday show the balance of the horses are still provincial grade types so I would not want RITA to cut some meetings in the countryside and replace them with more Addington dates. With 77, I would not think that is possible, but with RITA, anything seems possible.

What are the odds this sentence gets spoken by RITA? 

"In light of stake decreases, RITA feels the need to lessen costs such as travel for owners and trainers so have continued the centralisation of racing until a time stakes revert to normal'

24 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I hope they keep the draft at the very least.

It was concerning when Holden said it was in the hands of RITA. To me, it felt like HRNZ had limited control of what could happen.

I think the nominations for Friday and Sunday show the balance of the horses are still provincial grade types so I would not want RITA to cut some meetings in the countryside and replace them with more Addington dates. With 77, I would not think that is possible, but with RITA, anything seems possible.

What are the odds this sentence gets spoken by RITA? 

"In light of stake decreases, RITA feels the need to lessen costs such as travel for owners and trainers so have continued the centralisation of racing until a time stakes revert to normal'

Gee those otago trainers are gunna need to travel,as for stakes reverting to normal,will they ever?

12 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Gee those otago trainers are gunna need to travel,as for stakes reverting to normal,will they ever?

Stakes will be reduced significantly in the coming year and for the next few years.

The current TAB turnover will ensure that this is the case.

Hopefully things will pickup, but I wouldnt be betting on it now that the surplus of $100m ten years ago has disappeared!

Walked past the Barrington TAB yesterday, quite depressing really seeing it being stripped out to a barren room!!!

This is what racing in NZ is going to be with very few agencies if any!!!
Sad times indeed for s once very good business, now screwed by decisions from people in suits on massive salaries, that dont give a rats about anyone but themselves!!!

16 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I reckon let's say if forbury wasn't wiped completely is to look at how many times there is say invercargill thursday ,addington friday sunday,there is no reason why those meetings once a month are scrubbed and forbury race friday ,main meeting,sunday low key meeting and have all the focus on them ,its no wonder that they have fallen with poor dates producing poor fields,once when they use to race pretty much as the main focus they were doing ok ,racing wise anyway,the difference with forbury is it adds variety being in the middle of canterbury and southland,under the new thinking it's just repeat after repeat,that gets uninteresting for lots of us over time.

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

anyway,the difference with forbury is it adds variety being in the middle of canterbury and southland,under the new thinking it's just repeat after repeat,that gets uninteresting for lots of us over time.

That's because the TAB don't see racing as a sport.  They see it has a low quality product that can be imported from anywhere without understanding the followers knowledge of tracks and other variables that make the game interesting.  

They treat ALL punters with disdain.  They treat us ALL as if we are pathological gamblers with no interest in the actual sport. 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

7 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

They treat ALL punters with disdain.  They treat us ALL as if we are pathological gamblers with no interest in the actual sport. 

but the weekly $50 bonus bets are great

plus other gifts

Edited by Rangatira

2 minutes ago, Noodlum said:

That's because the TAB don't see racing as a sport.  They see it has a low quality product that can be imported from anywhere without understanding the followers knowledge of tracks and other variables that make the game interesting.  

Once upon a time I read a article about pathological gamblers,it claimed when people start betting on events they have no interest in,like races from some obscure place they never heard then that's when people are going AWOL,, it's true really,and with wall to wall racing from lots of obscure places the leaders of the tab are exploiting the situation,same in sport,some sport we can accept but a lot is just exploiting,I've done my share of fluffing around on sites too,betting sites are about cold hard facts and figures.

• Like 1

The strangest thing of all is the TAB was probably its strongest when the days were only one meeting a day,no sports betting,just proves though more is not always best,we even get far too much sport these days but yes you have choice to switch off tv or turn off whatever,we can only absorb so much of anything.

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

racing tote only was a high profit product and the running costs must have been akin to an oily rag

Sports betting costs can bot be very high??
you need a couple of bookies setting odds and a computer and not a bloody 46million one with $17m annual charges!!!
The problem is that they employed Dickheads with inflated egos, and overpaid them, and they employed even more of their mates, and they were on big money.

The NZ TAB has been extremely poorly run over the last decade.

Glenda Hughes on TV the other night supposedly the Greyhound CEO or thereabouts was an absolute weak as piss advocate for greyhound racing and a disgrace.

You can see how racing has gone down the gurgler with someone like her being in charge!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Glenda Hughes on TV the other night supposedly the Greyhound CEO or thereabouts was an absolute weak as piss advocate for greyhound racing and a disgrace.

You can see how racing has gone down the gurgler with someone like her being in charge!!!!!

Remember that you had said this Brodie.

In a couple of years time she'll be leading the Harness industry into recovery.

I fully preferred Phil over this current stone & I've already said I have no time for Phil.

12 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Remember that you had said this Brodie.

In a couple of years time she'll be leading the Harness industry into recovery.

I fully preferred Phil over this current stone & I've already said I have no time for Phil.

If Glenda Hughes is leading Harness Racing at anytime I would be prepared  to state that harness racing is dead in the water.

For someone that is a CEO of anything to be so non participating when someone is having a crack at you On TV is embarrassing!

She didnt defend Greyhound Racing whatsoever, and never once said that the dogs just love to run and that without racing, the dogs wouldnt be Alive!!

If this is the best that racing has got to be CEO’s, seriously it is not hard to see how racing is on the fast track to oblivion!

Why on earth was she on when she offered absolutely nothing of any benefit to greyhound racing!

How on earth this lady is in the role is hard to fathom, all I can say is god help Greyhound racing!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1