Bit Of A Yarn

Spicer gone, Hair in

Mikie

CEO appointment without advertising position 100% confirmed. 

Spicer resigning was revisited at a special Board meeting yesterday (that’s right, on a Sunday!) at 4pm. I am only taking a guess here but possibly no one wanted to take over whilst the Club Funding debacle is on the agenda

Zoom meeting with Clubs today at 10.30am should be a barrel of fun

Mikie

What's wrong with a simple idea as in a club gets let's say10 percent of off course and on course turnover,so if reefton or manawatu turnover 600000 then those clubs get 60000 and clubs at addington and auckland get nothing,seems simple.

And in the event that addington or auckland get 600000 turnover then they get 60000 and reefton and manawatu get nothing,anybody thought of that?

Edited by mikeynz

8 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

What's wrong with a simple idea as in a club gets let's say10 percent of off course and on course turnover,so if reefton or manawatu turnover 600000 then those clubs get 60000 and clubs at addington and auckland get nothing,seems simple.

And in the event that addington or auckland get 600000 turnover then they get 60000 and reefton and manawatu get nothing,anybody thought of that?

Good luck with that idea.  Many of us have been promoting revenue to clubs be correlated to their performance as well as aligning race stakes closer to what they generate in revenue.  But......deaf ears!

In the present setup Southland have no sundays until November,thursdays the day,maybe when the figures are added up they may be better,time will tell,thursday is payday for lots,by sunday monies gone (perhaps)on course is becoming a non event these days,turnover needs to be maximised ,each situation is different .

One more thing,be interesting to see how the two bigwig clubs are doing,when they put on a big race that is basically full of horses from one or two stables,not sure if they create turnover despite being a big race or reduce by being a borefest.

A lot of harness racing at present is becoming a bit of a borefest,that's it I'm done 4 now😐

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2

And dont worry about what stakes clubs pay,if you dont like the stake dont turnup,clubs can only pay what they can,even when the stakes are good the way harness racing is going lots wont bother anyway for reasons that we know very well.

Let the clubs run their own affairs but give them a decent payout to allow them too.

Shit dates poor programming means less interest,less turnover less money ,simple really.

Edited by mikeynz

17 August 2020
INDUSTRY UPDATE

1. Changes to Voting Model
Harness Racing New Zealand is investigating a new voting model to reflect changes in the racing
calendar.
Work on the model started as soon as the 2020/21 meeting dates were finalised as HRNZ
recognised that a review was needed to protect the voting position of some clubs who had no
racing licences in the new season.
As a result, a new voting model will need to be developed to take account of the needs of all
clubs. Given the importance of getting a new voting structure right and the lack of time until
the AGM in November, it is proposed that the voting at the 2020 AGM will be based on the
betting licences allocated to a club for the 2019/20 season as a transitional measure.
To effect this change, it is proposed that the first item of business at the AGM in November is
for the current voting model to be based on the 2019/20 allocated licences, instead of being
based on the 2020/21 allocated licences. If adopted this means that clubs will have the same
voting power at the 2020 AGM as they did for the 2019 AGM.

2. AGM and Industry Day
The AGM on Wednesday 18th November 2020 is being held later than normal because of the
significant increase in our auditor’s workload due to the impact of Covid19. They needed extra
time to catch up and complete all their clients' work including HRNZ, so we can present
appropriately audited financial results. The AGM will be held digitally - essentially a Zoom call.
The Industry Day has been set for Friday 2nd October 2020. Originally the Board decided not
to hold it to minimise the expense and cost to the industry but changed its mind following some
feedback. This day will not follow the normal conference format. There will be some presentations, and
some rule and constitutional amendments to review, with the balance of the day being a
workshop format. Once we have confirmed the structure of the day, we will let you know.

3. Harness Jewels 2021
The Board of Harness Racing New Zealand has confirmed that they have a desire to run the
Jewels in the Waikato next year, with a provisional 9-race card set down for Sunday, June
6, 2021. The Board wants to continue to provide some aspirational events for the industry,
however, the ability to run the Jewels hinges on there being enough capacity in both Code and
Club funding to support the proposed event. We hope to resolve this in the next five to six
weeks. If the event does go ahead it will be on a reduced stakes basis than previously. 

4. Appointment of CEO
Following this month’s HRNZ Board meeting, Chair Ken Spicer has also announced that the
contract of Interim Chief Executive Phil Holden has been extended and becomes
permanent. “We are very confident in Phil and with all the changes going on it was felt that it
was important to have consistency and stability”.
Holden, who was an Independent Director on the Board before stepping down and taking over
from Peter Jensen earlier this year, is delighted to have the Board’s backing.
“So much has happened since May when Peter left. It is a complex business in complex times but
it’s a challenge I am enjoying and look forward to building on in the future,” said Holden.
Holden will continue to live in the Wairarapa but will commute regularly to Christchurch.
“I don’t see any problems with that. I am there every week and liaise many times every day with
the other members of the management team. It also provides me with the ability to base myself
in Petone at the TAB NZ office which I do now and will continue to do on a weekly basis. I see
strengthening that relationship and building our visibility there as very important at this time”.
One of his goals is to improve HRNZ’s relationship with all stakeholders. "I’m very keen to
improve communication, transparency and accountability to everyone in the industry.”

5. Board Nominations
As a result of governance changes introduced in 2019 one of last year’s elected Board members
is required to retire from the Board at this year’s Annual General Meeting. A ballot was
conducted which resulted in the retirement of Kevin McNaught.
Nominations will be called to fill this vacancy, and the process for appointment of the
Independent Director position, will begin shortly.

For more information please contact:
Phil Holden
Chief Executive | Harness Racing New Zealand Inc
phil.holden@hrnz.co.nz
PO Box 459 |Christchurch 8140
Web www.hrnz.co.nz

As already said on here, must be great getting appointed by your mates and not having it advertised. 

But what gets me is this update included #4 yet it is not signed by anyone! Surely Phil Holden didn't write this update because that would be off the charts bizarre having a person who is appointed without seemingly a proper process announcing it himself

The announcement of a CEO should be official and properly notified. Not in an update with other information.

• Like 1