Bit Of A Yarn

TAB New Zealand update on trading performance - August 2020

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I'm not pushing anything Huey. the numbers are above budget thusfar and hence payouts to the codes have been increased based on the month of August's increased revenue. If you and others think thats a bad thing you are a lost cause. Mind you , if your in that camp you are not alone, you have about 10 other supporters

Greg

I'm over the moon the numbers are great,  long may it continue and we'll done to those involved if that's the case. 

That doesn't take away from the fact Trackside Radio should be a priority!  ask anyone in the industry. 

• Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Huey said:

I'm over the moon the numbers are great,  long may it continue and we'll done to those involved if that's the case. 

I don't believe the numbers actually are great when you consider the revenue vs the 2018-19 year.  Great to say they are "above budget" but if the "budget" is less than it was two years ago the industry is worse off!  Has everyone forgotten that NZRB-RITA-TABNZ has been living beyond its means for quite some time to the point where it needed a Government bailout regardless of the impact Covid-19 had!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't believe the numbers actually are great when you consider the revenue vs the 2018-19 year.  Great to say they are "above budget" but if the "budget" is less than it was two years ago the industry is worse off!  Has everyone forgotten that NZRB-RITA-TABNZ has been living beyond its means for quite some time to the point where it needed a Government bailout regardless of the impact Covid-19 had!

Yes. That's what I mean. Are they over the budget that relied on huge amounts of borrowing and government bailouts or what?

There's a poster on another site, Mardigras, he nailed it with his latest post, I wouldn't know him rom clay, but by gee he's spot on.......further to my post above, may I add ''misleading AND deceptive behaviour''.......if I lived anywhere near Petone, I would stand outside that building with a different placard for everyday of the week announcing what they did, the passing parade would eventually learn something as sure as hell the apathy of the mainstream media wont run with it.

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

BTW, did you post a "you were correct" re new restructured Management team numbers. I'm pretty sure i was right on at 4. Must have missed that post of yours 😋

The only thing you have got right so far , doesn't make it the correct decision , so don't go busting your arm giving yourself a pat on the back .

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I wondered when you would pop up with your usual shit. I have no axe to grind or anyone or any group to promote so the Party Line is just a fallacy for you and the Chief to blurb out and hoping it will stick

No sure you don't , you just happen to be on board with everything they have done , maybe that's because you cant come up with any ideas of your own that would help progress the industry forward , just follow the leader . The perfect party man , as i said .

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Huey said:

That doesn't take away from the fact Trackside Radio should be a priority!  ask anyone in the industry. 

He can't reply to that one Huey , he's not part of the industry . Tried it once , got a bit wet for him so twaddled off to try harness . Obviously people in the harness industry aren't so worried about about the lack of radio coverage , but then i'm not even sure Greg is what you would call part of the harness industry , just sitting on the sidelines trying to show he's relevant .

• Like 2

Are the number that great , maybe if we are happy to stay on a boat that has a few leaks that we are stuck with with no chance of an upgrade . These numbers still leave us at the mercy of any small hiccup . 

I'll start getting excited when i see figures that show the industry is starting to bloom and things are on the up , these numbers are far , far away from what is required to start digging us out of this hole .

But wait , the A/W's are on their way , the saving grace .

I must have got my analysis wrong somehow.  I'm sure JJ Flash will show me where I have.

Still the way I see it is that LESS money is budgeted to be distributed to the codes than each of the last two years.  Well actually less than about the last 8 years!

I ask again has everyone forgotten that to achieve the 2018-19 code distribution an extra $28m was BORROWED or FLEECED from reserves to achieve the promised distribution?

In the 2019-20 year the Government gave them a handout of $35m to meet the promise.

The only way to achieve the same distribution in 2020-21 without borrowing more is to increase net revenue by about 30% or slash costs by $30m.  

If I was looking to invest or upscale my current investment in the industry I'd want to see more evidence than this press release.  To achieve increases in revenue AND fill the fields on the new AWT'S then they are going to need investment by those who provide the product.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, nomates said:

The only thing you have got right so far , doesn't make it the correct decision , so don't go busting your arm giving yourself a pat on the back .

No sure you don't , you just happen to be on board with everything they have done , maybe that's because you cant come up with any ideas of your own that would help progress the industry forward , just follow the leader . The perfect party man , as i said .

And only took near on 2 years to get down to 4, hardly warrants any pats on anyone's back

nomates 8, JJ Flash 0

• Champ Post 1

For what it's worth, this mornings Gold Coast Bulletin, 31.5 million to be spent on upgrades to our track, lighting for night racing, upgrade the training tracks......etc etc.......Australia's fastest growing city, both political parties have pledged this will happen.......and what are you being foisted with? debt, debt and more debt and no ability to pay back, is that a recipe for disaster?

Consolidation should have been the first step, industry unity, I'm wasting my time, know alls abound, and yes men, brown noses, like JJ.......and there are so many JJ's.........The mouth from the south, and his sidekick buddy, sooty the glove puppet to name just a few......

My last post on this....promise, I feel the sighs of relief from here on the Broadwater........

• Like 1

Carry on moaning all of you , its got you you all a long way so far hasn't it

August numbers look good to me and i like this

"Actual distributions of $11.5m for August were paid to the Racing Codes vs $10.7m budgeted"

Long may it continue and as i have said often on here , for some of the moaners nothing will ever be good enough

Good luck to you all

Greg

4 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Actual distributions of $11.5m for August were paid to the Racing Codes vs $10.7m budgeted"

Long may it continue and as i have said often on here , for some of the moaners nothing will ever be good enough

Obviously you have no skin in the game as well as dont understand the numbers.

They may be above budget but in the absence of another Government handout or borrowing the industry will take a significant pay cut.

I can't see how that is anything to be glad about.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Carry on moaning all of you , its got you you all a long way so far hasn't it

August numbers look good to me and i like this

"Actual distributions of $11.5m for August were paid to the Racing Codes vs $10.7m budgeted"

Good luck to you all

Greg

Your easily pleased Greg , and easily lead . The moaners don't want to be just hanging on by the skin of their teeth , they want to see a cohesive plan that takes the industry upwards towards stability and then progression . The $11.5 mil multiplied by the 12 months will still leave a shortfall on what has been paid to the industry in previous seasons . That's not progression . One small bump and the shit hits the fan . 

The forever party man .

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

For what it's worth, this mornings Gold Coast Bulletin, 31.5 million to be spent on upgrades to our track, lighting for night racing, upgrade the training tracks......etc etc.......Australia's fastest growing city, both political parties have pledged this will happen.......and what are you being foisted with? debt, debt and more debt and no ability to pay back, is that a recipe for disaster?

Consolidation should have been the first step, industry unity, I'm wasting my time, know alls abound, and yes men, brown noses, like JJ.......and there are so many JJ's.........The mouth from the south, and his sidekick buddy, sooty the glove puppet to name just a few......

My last post on this....promise, I feel the sighs of relief from here on the Broadwater........

Joe , don't you dare stop , you give us a different perspective , and there can never too many of those . 

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

The devil is always in the detail.

A comparison of the 2019 vs 2020.

Number of Meetings:  21
Number of Races: 172 (note would have been more but for a couple of partial abandonments).
Stakes Paid out:  $3,690,000

Number of Meetings:  19 (-2)
Number of Races: 177
Stakes Paid out: $3,060,000 (-$630,000).

So although net profit was up on last year stakes paid to the industry is down 17%.

Stakes per race average:  $21,450

Stakes per race average:  $17,288

Perhaps NZTR could post their results for August 2020 afterall that is where the "rubber hits the road" for those with real skin in the game.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Just in case you were thinking that "Ok but we will catch up in September!"

September 2019
Number of Meetings:  24
Number of Races: 194
Stakes Paid out:  $4,037,000

September 2020
Number of Meetings:  21 (-3)
Number of Races: 197 (+3)
Stakes Paid out: $3,596,000 (-$444,000).

So although net profit was up on last year stakes paid to the industry is down 11%.

September 2019
Stakes per race average:  $21,450

September 2020 
Stakes per race average:  $20,809

Are you out there JJ Flash?  What say you on this analysis?  Is it right or wrong?

Is defining black and white negative or being a realist?

My opinion is if you use marketing spin to present results in a favourable way that hide the truth from your stakeholders you are NOT being positive.  You are doing them a disservice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again what I have seen from the new regime is the same old same old.  The August report reinforced that belief.

If the industry continues to believe its own propaganda then there is only one outcome and it isnt positive.

Has anyone noticed that the Race Fees charge has a new name?  BIUC (Betting Information User Charges).  Anyone noticed that the yearly budget figures of $9.1m is nowhere near what we were told it would be.  Many of us realists on BOAY pointed that out at the time as a false promise.  Dont forget that charges go the other way too i.e. we pay OZ fees for using their information.

The TAB'S increase in profit has not ended up where it is needed i.e. in owner and trainers hands.  As I've pointed out collectively over August and September they have taken a pay cut. The increases have not been  passed on from NZTR.

What is that extra money being used on?  Three business consultant firms assisting with the acquisition and carve up of club assets.  Is that positive?  

Is it being spent on those functions that have been devolved from NZRB to the code administration's?  If so then the cost savings touted by the TAB are false savings.

So you can either join the JJ Flash's of this world and drown yourselves in "postividdy" or start asking some hard questions before it is too late!

• Like 2

Your wasting your time with Greg and his mates , they're all too busy staring at each others navels and telling each other how positive and smart they are to ever consider that the industry is in a malaise that the people at the top aren't capable of getting the industry out of . 

He'll be waiting for the latest spin to come out from the top before he comments again . 

On 29/09/2020 at 7:07 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Encouragingly, total racing turnover continues to be strong, with year-on-year growth (+10.1%) with no significant growth in the volume of racing being broadcast.

If Harness NZ have had 29% more races than last year wouldn't this account for the extra 10% AND amount to "a growth in the volume of racing being broadcast"?