Bit Of A Yarn

Whip and Rein Use Changes

Chief Stipe

PART 3 USE OF THE WHIP
3. USE OF THE WHIP
3.1 A driver may only apply the whip in a wrist only flicking motion whilst holding a rein
in each hand with the tip of the whip pointed forward in an action which does not
engage the shoulder.
3.2 For the purposes of clause 3.1, “wrist only flicking motion” means:
3.2.1 Ensuring no force is generated by the use of the elbow or shoulder when
applying the whip.
3.2.2 The forearm is not raised beyond forty-five degrees relative to the racing
surface.
3.2.3 Not applying the whip with overt force.
3.3 A driver shall not use a whip in an unapproved manner.
3.4 For the purposes clause 3.3 a driver shall be deemed to have used the whip in an
unapproved manner in the following circumstances which are not exclusive:
3.4.1 If the whip is applied other than as permitted in clause 3.1.
3.4.2 If the whip is applied excessively, continuously, or without allowing the horse
time to respond.
3.4.3 If the whip is applied when the horse:
3.4.3.1 is not visibly responding. 3.4.3.2 is not in contention. 3.4.3.3 cannot maintain or improve its position. 3.4.3.4 is clearly winning. 3.4.3.5 has passed the winning post at the finish of a race.
3.4.3 If the whip is used when the reins are lengthened so as to result in loose
reining. 3.4.4 If the whip is used in a prodding or jabbing fashion.
3.5 A driver must not use the whip in a manner which causes injury to a horse.

3.6 A whip shall not be used in a manner that may obstruct, strike or endanger another driver
or horse.
3.7 A driver must ensure a whip does not project outside his or her sulky.
PART 4 USE OF THE REINS
4 USE OF THE REINS
4.4 A driver may not use the ends of a rein as a whip.
4.5 A driver must drive throughout the race with a hand on each rein (subject to 4.7
below). 4.6 A driver must not extend either hand on the rein in a manner which results in
excessively lengthening or loosening the rein.
4.7 A driver may not cross the reins except:
4.7.3 when activating gear; or
4.7.4 for safety reasons.

Welcome back Brodie young fella. Looks like you have sorted the whip rule so that's good - well done - "On The Money". Now only if you can convince the TAB on the restricted punter issue life will be  a dream for you. Oh buggar there is the election - but we dont talk politics or rest homes do we!!!!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JAKH said:

Welcome back Brodie young fella. Looks like you have sorted the whip rule so that's good - well done - "On The Money". Now only if you can convince the TAB on the restricted punter issue life will be  a dream for you. Oh buggar there is the election - but we dont talk politics or rest homes do we!!!!

Is my week of not posting up yet?

Very disappointing Mehe has not posted a damn thing since I stopped!

No doubt he will be resurrected at some stage to try and have the Brodster on!!!

Yeah, about time the NZ TAB changes their badly flawed business plan of not letting anyone win off them!

Just not worth Brodster’s time and effort when everything is in the NZ TAB’s  favour, as they dont seem to want to play fair!!!
As for Cindy and her useless cohorts, personally dont think it worries National too much if they dont win, as they are a shoe in next time, aNd who would want to be in power for the next 3 years?

Finally, on a personal and totally selfish note, this Coalition has actually made us a small fortune, so I shouldnt complain should I?

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, LongOwner said:

I think the new whip rule is positive and a good balance plus now Australian standard. 

Will take a bit of getting used to by the drivers I would say.

However, the fact that the drivers dont have to count or get their calculators out now that there is no no. Involved has to be very positive.