Bit Of A Yarn

Kumara

23 minutes ago, Freda said:

So, shoving the remainder into a high- cost operation where not only staffing costs are significant,  but stabling and residential costs are huge, is going to save us all?

Those who have to try and buy a house in CHCH if relocating from Ashburton might beg to differ.

Common sense is not so common Freda.

1 hour ago, Freda said:

So, shoving the remainder into a high- cost operation where not only staffing costs are significant,  but stabling and residential costs are huge, is going to save us all?

Those who have to try and buy a house in CHCH if relocating from Ashburton might beg to differ.

Who ever said all horse are to be trained at Riccarton? As chief mention earlier free market forces.

But stop and think where most of the horses are already trained. Did Hoki horses move to Ricc....no as none are trained there. If other west coats clubs get shut down will those horses move to Riccarton....no because no horse are trained on the coast. Likewise most other clubs that have gone in the past couple years. 

11 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Who ever said all horse are to be trained at Riccarton? As chief mention earlier free market forces.

But stop and think where most of the horses are already trained. Did Hoki horses move to Ricc....no as none are trained there. If other west coats clubs get shut down will those horses move to Riccarton....no because no horse are trained on the coast. Likewise most other clubs that have gone in the past couple years. 

How many horses are trained at Riccarton currently?

1 minute ago, curious said:

And what happened to the stables and horses that used to be trained on the coast?

Pass but when I lived there in Hokitika 40 years ago there was three trainers - Cathy Wildbore, Johnny Hurren and Rod Collins.  Damn near every dairy farmer had a broodmare or three.  One family in particular - can't remember their names - had a big band of broodmares.  

Chief......You made a couple of comments in earlier posts around clubs not being allowed to pay higher stakes. That comment has been playing on my mind.

If a club has cash reserves in the bank and wants to tip in extra $5k or $10k for every race  to boost stakes at their meeting......what crazy justification did NZTR give for not allowing that?

To me it defies logic?

Just now, Tesio said:

Chief......You made a couple of comments in earlier posts around clubs not being allowed to pay higher stakes. That comment has been playing on my mind.

If a club has cash reserves in the bank and wants to tip in extra $5k or $10k for every race  to boost stakes at their meeting......what crazy justification did NZTR give for not allowing that?

To me it defies logic?

Yes it defies logic.  Just as the stupid tiered stakes structure defies logic in this country.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

You call this change "radical"?  It is just more of the same but at a faster pace. Seems like insanity to me to keep on doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

They last 2 years are just the warm ups......i sense the radical bit is still to come.

1 minute ago, Tesio said:

They last 2 years are just the warm ups......i sense the radical bit is still to come.

How will they pay for this radicalism?  WHERE IS THE REVENUE GOING TO COME FROM?!!!!  

Oh and by the way it has been going on for 20 years not just 2 and nothing has changed.  Except now they have to raid everyone else's bank accounts to keep funding their insane policies!

• Like 1

Look at this bullshit from the Annual Report - classic spin.  Many of us on here had called out the fact that the NZRB/RITA was trading insolvent 2 years out before we'd even heard of Covid-19.  They'd pissed up against the wall $72 million in reserves!

What they have written I'd go so far as to say are blatant lies if not fraud.  Winston knew it that's why he was blunt about handing out the money - he made it quite clear that he knew the real reasons.  What's more if their turnover was down only 5% how did they qualify for the wage subsidy?

screenshot-www.tabnz.org-2020.11.30-09_55_01.png

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Pass but when I lived there in Hokitika 40 years ago there was three trainers - Cathy Wildbore, Johnny Hurren and Rod Collins.  Damn near every dairy farmer had a broodmare or three.  One family in particular - can't remember their names - had a big band of broodmares.  

A number in and around the Grey valley area.   Breeder Bill Kennedy won numerous races from his Ikamatua base,  likewise Roger Hampton - who trained a National winner from the same area.   The O'Malley family, many winners also over the years, stood a couple of stallions too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tesio said:

Out of curiosity how much net revenue does West Coast racing “prop up the big days”?

I don't honestly know , but it will be well above the cost of holding the meeting , they certainly wont be costing the industry money , most races at smaller meetings are 10k , and their off course turnovers often punch well above the big clubs , but they make revenue for the industry . That's their job .

3 hours ago, Tesio said:

secondly i have been outlining the industry cant sustain the number of clubs and venues, and race meetings......owners and horse numbers are not there and they will never come back.....so time to face reality

Yet i again i ask , why can't the industry sustain the smaller clubs and venues , you say you have been outlining why where , so far it's only your opinion , what is the financial cost ? , it's minimal and if , big if , it was more than just minimal it is not going to be enough to make any financial difference to the industry , it's not going to be enough to help increase stakes , but really i have been hearing this argument for a number of years now and you are following the rest by not being able to back up your argument with any sort figures , even a rough idea at costs saved , and it is your job to come up with the numbers , your the one arguing for closures , so ante up .

Now you say the industry can't sustain the number of meetings either , funny , i'm sure the powers that be are xfering meetings from tracks that are closed to other venues . So the clubs that do as you suggest and amalgamate as you said the coasters should do , they will still have their meetings . I will give you $100 bucks if in 5 years we have 20% less meeting than we do now , i would think it will be much the same as present or a small reduction , but with A/W's in play i think they will be putting on as many as the horse numbers can sustain , they know enough to understand it's all about revenue , and you need race meetings to garner revenue .

And if we need to reduce the numbers of meetings because as you say it is unsustainable where is the revenue going to come from , or are you just relying on sports betting increasing and pokies and the odd Govt top up . 

So your argument , i'm with you or i want to be , so convince me , give me the plan that supports your argument for less clubs , venues and race meetings that is going to strengthen the industry and propel us into the future , i'm with you , but convince me that you have the plan , because our leaders haven't , no one has produced anything substantial that says this is the way to go .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nomates said:

their off course turnovers often punch well above the big clubs

Obviously you don't follow turnover figures....... LMAO.....go check out the stats. Off the top of my hat i think the previous Westland club off course turnover was only approx 1/2 the National average?

21 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yet i again i ask , why can't the industry sustain the smaller clubs and venues , you say you have been outlining why where , so far it's only your opinion , what is the financial cost ?

And yet i explain AGAIN......let me put it in very simply words......punters don't want to bet on those tracks and owners don’t want to continually travel their horses around the country to those tracks.

6 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Obviously you don't follow turnover figures....... LMAO.....go check out the stats. Off the top of my hat i think the previous Westland club off course turnover was only approx 1/2 the National average?

Wow is that you backing your argument , giving me a one off scenario , fuck me that's why we should be worried , you giving me as much confidence as the ones with the power to actually implement what you are suggesting .

GIVE ME SOMETHING SUBSTANTIAL .

You have nothing , just a piss poor opinion , i'm done with you .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Off the top of my hat i think the previous Westland club off course turnover was only approx 1/2 the National average?

But what were their costs to the industry?  You quoted they paid out $91k in stakes - at what cost?

FFS the TAB is spending $80 million a year on a broadcasting platform that is overkill for our needs and a Fixed Odds Platform that hasn't delivered anything but problems.  

Both have generated ZERO extra revenue.

2 minutes ago, Tesio said:

And yet i explain AGAIN......let me put it in very simply words......punters don't want to bet on those tracks and owners don’t want to continually travel their horses around the country to those tracks.

Your opinion , give me figures , it's your argument for fucks sake .